NAD - Laney L5T Lionheart

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Serenity, Mar 6, 2015.

1. Serenity

Serenity Member

After months trying to decide upon a new amp, i finally found what i was looking for. This is my new Laney Lionheart.
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

It actually arrived yesterday, but i couldn't collect it until late last night. Knowing if i opened the box i would not have made it to work today, it stayed in it's packaging until i finished work for the week. Yes i know, i have no idea how i was so restrained either.
    I've not had a lot of play time yet, but i do know that it was a great purchase. For a 5 watter it sounds huge! There is far more gain on the drive channel than i was expecting, and with the drive set at 6 the 335 sings through it. The cleans are beautiful and rich, the reverb is good, and i'm looking forward to seeing how it copes with pedals later. I've got the whole weekend to myself, and i'm going to spend the majority of it playing.

2. C-4

C-4 Member

Here for now, Europe when I die. Am I dead yet?
    Congradulations! I hope it meets up to your expectations. :)

3. itstooloudMike

itstooloudMike Member

I love my L5t. I'll be watching for your glowing review after you've spent the weekend getting acquainted. For me, it's hard to call it a 5 watt amp and keep a straight face. My wife keeps reminding me that I told her I was buying it so that I could play more quietly. She wonders when the "more quietly" is going to start. :roll

4. corn husk bag

corn husk bag Silver Supporting Member

I had one for 3 years and let someone talk me out of it. It takes pedals just fine. I used vibes, fuzzes, quite a few different "screamers", delays, wahs, etc. with mine. I miss it! It is a heavy beast though, but sounds awesome!

Steve

5. Doug59

Doug59 Supporting Member

Congrats!!! Excellent choice ! :console

6. crunchman

crunchman Member

Always liked those, one of the few 5-watters with full feature set.

Single-ended EL-84 ?

7. 100JH

100JH Member

Ayyy....waiting on mine at the end of this month! Tell me more details! :)

I have a Marshall Super 100JH, Fender Super Reverb and a Peavey Classic 30. First sub 10 watter!

PS...I got a Epi 355 which I replaced the pups with some Dave Stephens, had it fully rewired with some push/pull back wiring, all Gibson hardware, new pots and got the neck sanded & refretted...one hell of a difference!!! Plays and sounds better than a Gibson 355 IMO!

Last edited: Mar 6, 2015
  8. Serenity

Serenity Member

Well i've had a couple of hours with it now and it certainly doesn't disappoint. I've been having so much fun i still haven't run any pedals into it. I do like stomp boxes, and i'm planning on building a new board specifically for this amp (already have a few ideas on what to get), but i'm in no rush and could be quite happy just keeping it to simply guitar and amp.
    The cleans are beautiful, and the drive does the full-on Plexi roar without it sounding boxy, or bringing the house down like a real plexi would. Setting the drive channel to anywhere between 10 and 12 o'clock gives a beautiful blues crunch with the 335. It really is a tone monster, it's so versatile, and like any good amp it makes me want to play more and more.
    After going through a few old Blues numbers, some Black Crowes, Led Zep, Pearl Jam, and Aerosmith tunes, i can pretty much say this amp is perfect for me. After trying a lot of the low watt competition, the little Laney stands out above them all. Happily, it will do the late night practice volume thing very well, but when people tell you it can get loud for a 5 watter, they ain't kidding!
    I think i'm finally done buying amps for a good long while, and can now concentrate onupgrading the rest of my gear, and playing.

If you're in the market for a quality home amp then i definitely recommend it. It may be a little more expensive than some of the competition, but it's sooooo worth it.

9. crunchman

crunchman Member

Anyone know where to get a tilt-back leg like that one ??

10. 100JH

100JH Member

let us know about how it takes pedals also!

11. crunchman

crunchman Member

Gain cranked w/ boost ??

12. soulsurfer

soulsurfer Member

'grats Serenity! These are fabulous amps. Laney is certainly underrated as an amp builder and the lionheart line is proof positive.

I recently bought the 50w head version used from a local music shop. I still haven't felt the need to run any pedals up front. It just sings so beautifully. I have started running a delay in the loop tho'...just for the lead noodling.

You're gonna have a great time with your amp. Smart investment.

13. Serenity

Serenity Member

Sorry guys, i still haven't run it with pedals. I did manage to stop playing long enough to switch guitars today though. The Iceman sounds fantastic through the Laney, especially with the gain cranked. This little amp really roars!
    [​IMG][​IMG]

14. itstooloudMike

itstooloudMike Member

Put an OCD in front of your L5t, and you will be amazed at what you hear. You can get a beautiful singing, smooth, high-gain, liquid lead tone with only a moderate push from the OCD. Sounds awesome with an SG, or the neck pickup of a good Strat.