NAD - Laney VC15 "Old English White"

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by bluescube, Apr 21, 2016.

1. bluescube

bluescube Member

Been on the quest for a small bedroom tube amp. I had a Fender Super Champ X2. It was good sounding on CH1, but Ch2 always had the modeler fakeness I couldn't overcome.

Found a good deal on this Laney VC15 on eBay. It came in and looks showroom new. Still had Jensen speaker tag and even shipped in original box. I put some new JJ's I had laying around and fired it up.

Has a real nice clean channel. Smooth and has that slight tube bloom to the notes. Cranking it up gets you into edge of breakup tones when you dig in. Drive channel is very mild, only gets into classic rock cranked. I haven't had enough time yet to fully figure out the best settings, but I can set the Drive to a nice bluesy tone that cleans up well. The reverb is digital and very mild. Has a short decay and you have to turn it up most of the way to get some deeper verb.

Appearance. It's beautiful in the Old English White tolex. It's kind of soft touch too, has a real premium feel. It feels premium as compared to other $500 amps. Not sure if the cab is plywood or mdf yet.

The speaker is a Jensen C10Q8. I'm not sure about this choice. Because it is tiny, the sound is a little focused and boxy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. bluescube

bluescube Member

Thinking of adding a 1x12 cab for more oomph. Maybe a Laney ITR112 or something on CL

3. highwaystar30

highwaystar30 Member

Congrats... I got a Vc30 myself quite recently.. enjoy...

4. bluescube

bluescube Member

Yeah, I love the OE white tolex and I stole it for $270

5. bluescube

bluescube Member

Just cranked this baby up and got the EL84's cooking. Man this amp opens up! The "clean" channel" gets some wonderful power tube breakup over 5 on the the dial (1-10). And fully cranked, yeah we're talking some great crunch. Sorta Voxy but without the "blizzard of nails" from top boost. Bright switch gets it closer to VOX, off it's more smoother.

Drive channel at volume is similar to clean but with more grit. The EL84's breaking up is what makes this amp shine.

6. csweldon

csweldon Supporting Member

My first tube amp was a VC15, with the tube reverb. It's the one amp I *really* regret giving up. I used to run the bass high, about 7, mids 3-4, highs about 6. It sounded AMAZING. The speaker really opens up with time. Trust me, it's a great speaker for this amp!

Keep playing it, play it loud. It's good now, it's gonna get SO much better!

7. bluescube

bluescube Member

I bought a Vox AC10, but just didn't love it, so it went back to GC. The Laney was $200 less

8. wordsonyou

wordsonyou Member

The VC15 is the best kept secret in North America (they've cracked it in the UK). Slays any other 15 watter within 300 bucks. Has its own signature tone imho - a little bit of a cross between fender and vox, but all Laney when cranked...and yeah you can find them for that 270 -300 range if you keep looking - even on Ebay...

9. bluescube

bluescube Member

I got mine for $270 shipped. A bargain. The OEW tolex feels nice, almost soft touch. I remember back in 2003 at a jam a guy had a VC30 2x10 combo. I did a shoot out with it with my Roland Bluescube 30 2 x 10. The Roland kept right up with the VC30 volume wise, so 30 watts SS = 30 watts tube LOL.

10. vashondan

vashondan Supporting Member

Wheres a good place to purchase these VC 15's new in the US?

11. bluescube

bluescube Member

12. tulse luper

tulse luper Member

Great amp indeed! I found it sounds great at low volume too. And it is amazing for jazzy stuff too. And it plays great with pedals. And it is lighter than most small combos.

bluescube likes this.
  13. bluescube

bluescube Member

I'm using my Caline Pure Sky OD to push the Drive channel. I have the Drive set for a light crunch and the Pure Sky kicks into classic rock.

14. bluescube

bluescube Member

Still really liking this little pocket amp. the drive channel is really nice

csweldon likes this.
  15. Igotsoul4u

Igotsoul4u Member

How is the volume? Can it hang with a drumset?

16. bluescube

bluescube Member

Not sure about drummer. At full volume on the clean channel, you'll be getting nice power tube crunch. So it won't have clean headroom for pedals. Laney makes a big point about power tube overdrive on this amp. It is very nice sounding. These clips are the clean channel cranked:

17. bluescube

bluescube Member

Clean channel starts to break up at 3 with humbuckers and 5 on strat single coils. Then it goes onto wonderful musical power tube overdrive. Drive channel is more Marshall JCM800 ish from I hear the circuit is based on.

18. bluescube

bluescube Member

Still love this little jewel of an amp. I love the simplicity of a good tube amp. Just set the knobs where they sound good once, then each and every time just turn it on and play. I really like the Voxy/Marshall like crunch. I think it leans more Voxy without the Top Boost nails on chalkboard overtones.