NAD: Legend Rock-n-Roll 50w head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by FlamesAreWicked, Jun 12, 2019.

1. FlamesAreWicked

FlamesAreWicked Member

Ive been wanting to try out one of these for a bit but never could find the head version at the right time.. this one was only about 4hrs from me as it turns out. Commonly known to have been used by Billy Gibbons of ZZ Top for the Eliminator album but in combo form.. pretty cool amp.. for what it cost I thought I’d give it a whirl. After a brief test before coming into work tonight.. it’s definitely a loud amp

[​IMG]

Achewood_Johnson and ROKY like this.
  2. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

That's the all tube one? Or tube power amp/SS preamp? Either way, they're sort of a generic take on a Mesa sound. Not bad but not great enough that I'd drive out of my way unless it was dirt cheap.

3. Baxtercat

Baxtercat Member

That looks cool.
    Love that 'bent' wood design.

[​IMG]

4. twotone

twotone Member

I think the early Legend amps had a tube preamp and solid state power amp.

5. bluesoul

bluesoul Gold Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

I do remember those...never played through one. Always thought they were cool! Hope ya like it!

6. drewl

drewl Member

I've worked on a few over the years.
    Not bad, but nothing special. If you can find one for a decent price, go for it.

7. Tommy_G

Tommy_G Member

I have the 1x12 combo version of the RoxkNRoll50 that came with the G12-80.

It's an odd duck.

It reacts like a Plexi... but pretty sure it is all preamp dirt.

I find it hard to dial in.. it lacks a nice full bass, and the treble can be overbearing and its a struggle to keep it from having a really nasally boxy tone. Ive never rolled tubes and that could be the issue. Otherwise a surprisingly organic tone.

With the mIds high it really sings but in a very narrow voice.

Doesnt sound like a Mesa - its schematic which is super hard to find online is clearly of marshall lineage.

I pkayed it at a musicians bash and was told it has a great blues voice in a band context.

Interested in knowing the OPs opinion of the tone, and any advice on preamp tubes and speakers. Also interested in how much $ it cost. Its on my sell list.. there isnt exactly a well established market for these.

I believe they were the most expensive amps on the market in their day... and frankly a ton of potential if its voice could be tweaked.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
  8. NorCal_Val

NorCal_Val Member

9. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

When I worked for Bizarre Guitar in Reno in the '70s we were Legend dealers and I had 2 combos. They were ok amps for the times. The owner of the store, Greg Golden, still gigs his through a Legend 4x12 cab.

Achewood_Johnson likes this.
  10. Achewood_Johnson

Achewood_Johnson Member

I have a late serial Legend Super Lead 50 combo that's from the last batches Legend made before going out of business. I have spoken to Greg Golden a couple times about it and his use of the amp. He has said that he plays his amp mostly straight, and only uses a pair of EchoPlex units for gain and delay. He pointed to this song as an example of use of the Legend in the studio: You can also find many live videos of Greg and his band where he's playing one of his many vintage gold top LP's through a Legend Super Lead 50.

I have been intending to do a write-up with pictures about these amps (Legend Rock n Roll 50 and Super Lead 50). I've even gone so far as buying the best copy of the schematics available. (Marginally better than the ones freely available, but the values are more readable and it contains the changes made to the RnR50 to make the Super Lead 50)

As far a playing around with the settings, the Colour knob is the gain between the first and second stage of V1, Preamp controls the gain after V2 output, and Master is after V3. The tone controls are inter-dependent. Changing one changes the others. I'm still experimenting. I know some will run with Bass and Mid around 9 or 10, and Treb at 2... or try reversing the Bass and Treb numbers. The amp does 70's, 80's rock very well. I think it prefers humbuckers to single coils as well.

Edit: To clarify for some of the other questions in the thread: The Legend Rock and Roll and Super Lead amps are hybrid; tube preamp / solid state power amp. They have 3 12ax7's in the preamp section and are capable of some pretty impressive amounts of gain. The difference between the two amps which are otherwise the same: the Super Lead adds an extra low frequency Bass Boost control that acts very similar to the 'Loudness' button on a stereo. The other main change is a reverb circuit.

(Edited even more to remove wrong info and to clarify previous information. Thank you, @Tommy_G )

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019 at 10:06 AM
    Tommy_G likes this.
  11. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

12. Tommy_G

Tommy_G Member

Strange.. I have the footswitchable rhythm / lead with level settings in the back but no "extra low" bass control.. just TMBP

Achewood_Johnson likes this.
  13. Achewood_Johnson

Achewood_Johnson Member

You are right! I noticed the Lead Mode light on the RnR 50 head above after I finished writing my screed. I coulda sworn there was one more thing the Super Lead had that the RnR didn't. It might be the effects loop with adjustable level. (Edit: It's not. I think it's the addition of a reverb circuit to the Super Lead model. Main post edited.)

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019 at 10:07 AM