NAD Louis Electric Buster

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by murk, May 4, 2015.

1. murk

murk Member

I’ve had the amp for a couple of weeks now and thought I would share my thoughts on it. There have been several great reviews of the Buster over the years on TGP that have sung the praises of this great amplifier. It was those reviews along with video demos that had me chasing one of these for a while. I finally had the opportunity to buy a used 2014 model.
    In addition to the specs of the amp; a hand wired 5E3 circuit with 6L6’s, 5AR4 rectifier, hand made transformers producing 25 watts and a G12H 75 8 ohm speaker, it has a couple of other features that haven’t gotten much review here that I think make the amp even more impressive. First the amp has a 2 speaker outs labeled 4k and 8k. (These are not for an extension cab!) The 4k jack provides cleaner tones and the 8k jack lowers the wattage which provides quicker midrange break-up. The second feature is the gain switch which as the name implies adds gain at the flick of a switch. When you combine these 2 features with any one of the 3 guitar inputs you have an amp that is sonically very flexible. Plus you’ve got the typical 3 tweed deluxe style control knobs. From left to right the normal channel volume, bright channel volume and finally tone. All 3 are wonderfully interactive and provide all the tone / volume sculpting one could ask for. I’ve never owned a tweed format amp before and I am fascinated by the way the controls interact with each other.
    Then there’s the simple stuff that just make sense. The lettering on the control panel reads correctly from the front of the amp. Sure, it’s not vintage correct but most amps are located behind the guitar player. The control plate is black with white lettering making it easy to read in low light conditions, looks great and sets it apart for the rest of tweed amp herd. The speaker cable is long enough to reach an attenuator should you choose that option. Simple smart solutions.
    The Buster is capable of complex harmonically rich tone, big thick sparkling cleans to vintage tweedy snarl when cranked, plus everything in-between. The amp is lively, dynamic, touch sensitive, percussive and bold. In my book it’s the perfect amp.
    Lou Rosano is an amp builder and designer of the highest order. The build quality and components rival that of the finest amps currently made by anyone today. You owe it to yourself to play one if you get the opportunity. You will not be disappointed. Simply put the Buster is brilliant.

http://i.imgur.com/bdtkuMF.jpg?1

2. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009

one of the best amps i ever owned

sold it 'cuz i'm a stoopie

learning that when you find something that's in the best of class category to keep it!

but, it's isn't a clean amp and i sold it to buy a princeton copy, which i love. but the roar and girth of the buster is just glorious. wish i had the cash to have a diverse amp collection.

3. jguitarslim

jguitarslim Silver Supporting Member

Same story here...one of the best amps I've ever sold!

4. davebc

davebc Member

:rotflmao
    I'll counter that and say,
    One of the best amps I haven't bought yet.

5. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009

For me its a familiar story because I don't have a lot of extra cash, so it's all a recyclable kitty. I do wish I could have a collection. If I had the disposable income I would. But till then if I want something different I gotta sell what I have.

sent from a lonesome train on a lonesome track

6. saltydogg

saltydogg Rock & Roll Enthusiast Gold Supporting Member

I'm a big fan of Lou and his amps. I have an older Buster, which probably leans more toward a mini-tweed-twin on the #1 input, and more 5e3-ish using the #2 input. Lightweight, plenty loud (it get a lot of clean headroom) and loves pedals. Great grab-n-go design.

I'd love to try a newer model with the 4/8K and gain switch. Sounds awesome.

Just got Lou's "Deltone" today, but that's a story for another day.

Congrats OP!

*Drop me a PM when you're ready to sell. :)

7. saltydogg

OP: what speaker? G12H30? I've been using a KTS-60 in my Buster.

Last edited: May 5, 2015
  8. hapharriman

hapharriman Silver Supporting Member

I'm a stoopie as well, sold mine for no good reason. Used it steady for a couple of years, in all kinds of situations. Always sounded great, the only place it was less than stellar was quiet acoustic/elec gigs, 2-3 piece stuff. Really shines at moderate to loud volumes. Mine had G12H30.

The Buster falls off the radar now and then, nice to see the positive comments on a really great amp. I gotta find another one.

9. murk

murk Member

The speaker is a Celestion G12H75 Creamback. When I bought the amp the previous owner had fitted a Scumback H55 in it. A great speaker in it's own right but developed way too much low end for the Buster. The Celestion is perfect for the amp.

10. saltydogg

Nice. Yeah, the CB H75 works pretty well in many applications, and I'm sure it sounds great in the Buster.

11. ToneKing

ToneKing Member

Good score OP, I just recently picked up a used one. I am totally impressed. It has plenty of clean headroom for my applications, sits well in a mix, touch sensitive, easy on the eyes and grab-and-go ready. What's not to like? Mine is the newer two-tone w/4k-8k switch, but has the Celestion g12h30 anniversary speaker. I am really loving this amp, it has certainly inspired my playing again. Thank you Lou, for building such a fun little amp to play with BIG tone.

12. davebc

davebc Member

Played one at Lou's when he first built them. It was fantastic, perfect headroom and balls
    for the way I play. Absolutely no mush. Just balls.
    Plugged my Lester straight in, instant Billy G.

I love the added touches he's added since then.
    And the 2 Tone is very very snappy.

13. TeletoneH137

TeletoneH137 Member

I recently acquired an older model without the new features and with a V30. I love it as-is! Perfection for me I think after many many many different amps over the years....

ToneKing likes this.