NAD: Louis Electric Deltone

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by DiPa, Dec 6, 2016.

1. DiPa

DiPa Constant GAS Silver Supporting Member

Named for their black control panels, Blackface Fender amps are one of the company’s most famous and coveted product series, Pre-CBS (mid-1963 to mid-1965) models, and CBS (mid-1965 to mid-1968) models. Blackface amps were used on numerous famous recordings. Musicians who seek a great, chimey Fender clean and, when pushed, classic overdriven tone have found these amps to do that well.

Emulating the beautiful sounds of the pre-CBS black amplifiers are several skilled artists and boutique amp builders (Louis Electric, Tone King, Headstrong). I have been fortunate to work with a few of these individuals and acquired few of the amps. Today I will showcase my new Deltone which now joins my other line of boutique amps shown below.

The Deltone Reverb is modeled after a 1965 blackface deluxe reverb amp, comes as a 6V6/6L6 based, 22/30 Watt, single 12" combo amp. It's a two-channel amp with two inputs for each channel. One channel offers a straight sound and the other channel offers vibrato and reverb. One significant feature is that the original blackface deluxe amp did not have a middle control. Louis Electric offers the middle control, a great addition as it provides more control for the player's midrange sound.

Deltone amp "comes standard with a 6V6 tube configuration. The amp can accommodate a 6L6 configuration with 35 Watts of output power. An additional feature with the 6L6 configuration is a 4k/8k option. This allows the player to simply switch the load to provide a cleaner or more distorted sound. The 4k option provides cleaner tones, while the 8k option will lower the wattage and provide quicker mid-range break up". The stock speaker is a Jupiter Ceramic and I will be swapping it out for a Jupiter Alnico, and that's the only change I will make.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Below, To the far right is the Headstrong Verbrovibe amp, Deltone in the middle, far left front is Tone King Imperial 20th Anniv amp and to the back is Tone King SkyKing. Playing all these amps gives me a rush, they are built with the best components and are hand wired.
    [​IMG]

Tag, Pantone 333, Gallery and 2 others like this.
  2. slider313

slider313 Silver Supporting Member

Nice! How does the Deltone compare to the Imperial?

DiPa likes this.
  3. DiPa

I played those two the most as I was trying to pick out differences, and I found I could dial them in to sound pretty close. Both are wonderful to play and they sound heavenly. Both have that vintagy tones and I would not trade either. I will say they are comparable in tones and that black face era sound. I am planning on swapping out the ceramic speaker in the Deltone for an Alnico which I feel will give it an edge, we'll see.

4. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

Nice!!! Congrats! You've scored some nice Amps recently!!

DiPa likes this.
  5. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

Very nice.

DiPa likes this.
  6. silver surfer

silver surfer Member

Congrats on your new amp. It tops my current wish list - love the latest look also. If you ever do the 6L6-4k/8K thing, I would be interested in your feedback.

DiPa likes this.
  7. DiPa

Thanks everyone, the Deltone is an awesome amp indeed, having a mid control knob gives it that extra, the amp has a huge bottom for sure.
    Lance has a clip demoing it and that clip does show its capability very well. I still love my Tone King and Headstring amps a lot, together they are the magnificent.

8. jamminoutloud1

jamminoutloud1 Supporting Member

Hey, did you ever end up trying this amp with another speaker? Are you still liking the amp?

9. DiPa

I don't like the stock speaker that it comes with, he uses a Jupiter ceramic, I prefer the Jupiter Alnico. The amp is great otherwise.

10. kingdavidy2k

kingdavidy2k Member

I'm trying to decide between the Deltone and Imperial.
    Would you mind helping me out? Which one takes OD pedals better? Not heavy gain...
    I'm familiar with my friend's Imperial which is really bright and scooped. I think it's got a treble bleed in the design?
    How's the Deltone compares to the Imperial in the brightness department?

11. DiPa

The Deltone is the warmer one.
    I will throw together some pedals this week and let you know next week.

12. kingdavidy2k

kingdavidy2k Member

Thanks man!

13. Resonance7

Resonance7 Member

OP reads like an advert.

14. jdel77

jdel77 Silver Supporting Member

That's just how he rolls.
    He's a real dude though.
    With a f*ckload of nice amps...

Tag, Slevin and saltydogg like this.
  15. trisonic

trisonic Member

Lou makes great amps!
    I also like David Allen’s variant too (although it is not identical to the original it has interesting updates).

Best, Pete.

16. saltydogg

saltydogg Rock & Roll Enthusiast Gold Supporting Member

I had the Imperial years ago (MkI) and have had the Deltone for 2(?) years. I prefer the Deltone for a more vintage tone, and imo it handles overdrive pedals extremely well. Of course, different pedals react differently to different amps, etc.

That said, I prefer the Eminence GA12 speaker over the Jupiter, though the Jupiter wasn't bad.

My Deltone is an early model, and iirc correctly, came equipped with a Celestion G12H 70th Anni.

17. kingdavidy2k

kingdavidy2k Member

Would you please comment how the GA12 compares to the Jupiter and G12H30?
    I'm about to order a Deltone and needs to decide which speaker. I like a lot of Punch an Clarity and brightness. I love my Weber 12F150, Celestion Alnico Cream and G12H30 in my Weber built high powered Princeton. Didn't care at all for WGS G12C too dark.

18. saltydogg

saltydogg Rock & Roll Enthusiast Gold Supporting Member

That's a tough call...one, because it's gonna be a matter of opinion, and two because I don't usually judge speakers by bright or dark.

G12H 70th Anni: the most aggressive of the 3, with the most mids IMO. Nothing scientific, but I generally associate the G12H with Marshall amps, but it did sound good with the Deltone, just not "Fender enough". I don't think it's the ideal speaker do vintage Fender tones, so I got the....

Jupiter Ceramic: Real nice speaker and closer to the GA12 than the G12H in overall tone and feel. Much closer to vintage Blackface, imo.

I got the GA12 after reading rave reviews, and it does not disappoint. I think in a live-mix, you'd be hard pressed to hear a big difference between it and the Jupiter. It has a nice vintage feel and vibe. Works well in a Blackface amp, as does the Jupiter.

I found the GA12 to be the best overall speaker for me, primarily because felt/sounded great, and it handled my overdrive pedals better than the Jup.

Some of the differences (bright/dark) can be remedied by the tone controls on the amp.

If you're looking for punchy and bright, and more aggressive, probably the G12H 70th.

If you're looking by for a truer vintage feel/vibe, then the Jup or GA12.

Hope that helps.
    And remember...YMMV.

19. kingdavidy2k

kingdavidy2k Member

Thank you for that! That was very helpful.

saltydogg likes this.
  20. Pantone 333

Pantone 333 Member

Beautiful pictures! Beautiful amps! Great choices!