NAD!! Marshall 2555x content (pics)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by sambodious, May 19, 2015.

1. sambodious

sambodious Member

Shipment arrived from Milton Keynes today, a brand new Marshall 2555x Silver Jubilee Reissue.

I only had about 35 minutes to play it today, but that was long enough for me get really excited about the way it sounds! The Pentode/Triode switch is brilliant. I used to have a JCM900 DR that had the same functionality, but I just feel like this is so much better for some reason.

I've never played a Silver Jubilee of any type before today, and I think I'm in love with this circuit. The gain is so much more refined than my JMP 2204, I love that amp for how wild it is, but this is such a great change of character. I could go on and on about the differences in the way they sound, but there's no need for that tonight. It's been a long time since I've been able to afford to keep two full size amps in the stable, I'm excited about having two different Marshall flavors on hand!

Haven't tried the loop yet, I don't have much experience with loops so that will take some time to figure out I'm sure.

Played it today through my mid 70's Marshall 4x12 loaded with Greenback Reissue speakers. I'm excited to get my hands on a Vintage 30 loaded cab soon to see what I'm missing, because everything I've read online about these amps says they just "work" with V30's.

Here's a few pics of my up-to-date rig to enjoy!

[​IMG]

With my 1979 JMP 2204 and the 4x12 I mentioned.

[​IMG]

Another shot of the heads.

[​IMG]

Here you can see the full 4x12, my SM57, and the top row on my pedalboard.

[​IMG]

The guitars! Top left is a Gibson The Paul II, loaded with Seymour Duncans. Pearly Gates in the bridge, Seth Lover model in the neck.
    The goldtop is a 2005 built R7.
    The Stratocaster in the foreground started life as a Highway One model, but was given a cosmetic overhaul by my college roommate (fellow guitar player and talented artist) where he aged the plastic parts and darkened the finish somehow. It has Fender Texas Specials in the neck and middle spots, and a Seymour Duncan Hot Rails in the bridge. The back of the neck has been sanded, and I really enjoy that guitar.

[​IMG]

The pedalboard. I won't list what these are, if you're on TGP then you probably know already! But the VP is the Ernie Ball MVP model and I doubt you could tell by the photo!

Cheers!

dwk302, Hacksaw, TubeStack and 6 others like this.
  2. severinsteel

severinsteel Supporting Member

Very nice! I also have the same cab and same 2204! Nothing says rock like a Marshall! I'd love to hear your impressions after a few days.

sambodious likes this.
  3. Fiftywattmafia

Fiftywattmafia Member

Awesome! Nice to see these shipping. Very cool reissue long overdue!

sambodious likes this.
  4. megaboogie

megaboogie Supporting Member

Congrats! I've always lusted for a silver jubilee, gasing hard for the head and the matching cab now.

sambodious likes this.
  5. JiMB

JiMB Member

Nice set up, rock it!

sambodious likes this.
  6. Jamar

Jamar Supporting Member

Nice! What Sambodious failed to mention is that he won this amp in Marshall's February Giveaway! Of all the players I know, I can think of none more deserving of a Silver Jubilee Reissue. Congrats, sir!

:banana

sambodious likes this.
  7. Echoplexi

Echoplexi Silver Supporting Member

Sweet setup and congrats on the new amp! I had a black tolex 1988 version that was great. Amazing that you won it!

8. dju

dju Member

Very cool!
    Hopefully I'll get a call from my dealer soon saying mine is in :)

9. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

10. drewl

drewl Member

You won it?
    Awesome!

Post some pix if you ever open it up.
    I'd be curious to see how similar it is to the originals construction.

The boards they use these days are much better than the ones from that era.

11. greatmutah

greatmutah Member

Congrats man! If I hadn't been jumping on the Metroplex, I was going to buy a Jubilee RI. Hopefully they keep these going for a while.

12. crifasta

crifasta Gold Supporting Member

Congrats and nice rig!

I still use an original 2555 I bought new in '87 as my only "full size" amp. Others have come and gone but the Jube remains. I use it with my 70s 4x12 with original creambacks.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 20, 2015
    sambodious likes this.
  13. Black_Label

Black_Label Member

Dude, you gotta get the matching silver cab. That's one of the coolest looking & sounding half stacks ever.

sambodious likes this.
  14. oasis02

oasis02 Member

Can you get a "similar" tone to the JMP by pulling the gain knob on the rhythm channel? I'm hearing things in the demos that makes me think it gets reasonably close...

sambodious likes this.
  15. Serenity

Serenity Member

Very nice. Congrats!

16. sambodious

sambodious Member

Oasis, yes you can get a JMP -ish tone with the rhythm clip feature engaged. The gain is similar to the 2204 in that it's much less saturated than the lead channel of the 2555x, but you can tell that the preamp doesn't have quite the same sound. Somehow the Jubilee is always a bit darker and much more "together" than the JMP I've got.

You could totally do a Hendrix/SRV/Frusciante vibe with a Strat on the rhythm clip, or an Aerosmith/Free/ACDC vibe with a Les Paul or similar guitar! In a band setting it would totally cover that ground, but the things the JMP does well remain pretty unique. Mostly that super crisp and clangy high end.

17. sambodious

sambodious Member

ohhhh man I want that cabinet so bad! It sure ain't cheap, though.

Does anyone know if it's true that the 2555x head is going to be a product Marshall offers for the foreseeable future, but that the matching cabinet is a limited run?

18. lewis_grey

lewis_grey Member

I had an original 1987 2555....not my thing now but great amp none the less. I remember really enjoying it with a Strat more than any Gibson as well and I'm a totally Gibson guy!

The loops on them work really well too from memory, something about how that circuit works that makes effects sound really clear and juicy without taking anything away from the amp like a lot of Marshall loops do.

19. Jube2550

Jube2550 Member

Congrats and welcome to the Jubilee club. Have fun with the speaker hunt, it was a blast when I was experimenting past the 75s in the stock cab.

20. JiMB

JiMB Member

Home made beam blockers?