NAD: Marshall JTM1C!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by redeyedjim, May 7, 2015.

1. redeyedjim

redeyedjim Silver Supporting Member

Super psyched about this! I've been looking for one of these on and off for a while, but didn't want to pay what they were generally going for. I finally found one at what I think was a decent price, so I've been hurriedly trying to sell some gear I wasn't using so I could jump on it. Finally sold enough to pull the trigger on it about an hour ago:

[​IMG]

It's being shipped so I should have it in about a week. :D

I believe this comes with a custom-voiced, ceramic magnet Celestion, which (from the clips) sounds great. Out of curiosity, has anyone swapped out the stock speaker for an alnico, or played the JTM1H or JTM1C through an alnico? I'm thinking that might sound pretty great, too, and maybe bring out a bit more of that vintage JTM flavor?

2. dgallina

dgallina Member

I've had one a few years. IMO you don't want to think about swapping the speaker until you've given it some play time. Personally don't think it needs it and very happy with it.

3. Guild_S-100

Guild_S-100 Member

Wow congratulations!! I have been looking for one too
    I agree the speaker in that combo is perfect IMHO

4. v-verb

v-verb Supporting Member

Had one - LOVED it!!! But I A/B'd with a 1 Watt Offset and I have that now.

5. schwa

schwa Member

IIRC, the 1 watters that had 10's in them had the same speaker as the Class 5 (I don't recall the model). I'm not sure if you mean that the 1 watters had "custom-voiced" speakers or just the one you're getting.

I don't care for that speaker, and I run a 10" greenback, but you can see in this thread that the stock speaker has its fans.

6. lang.murphy

lang.murphy Member

Congrats! I have the 1w Offset and love it. AFAIK, the only difference is that the JTM1C is open backed and the Offset cab is closed. Both have the same speaker and it surely sounds great in the Offset. Most of the posts I've read about ppl swapping out the speakers in the 1w series indicate that those ppl usually went back to the stock speaker in the end. (Excepting schwa... lol)

I'd have to concur with dgallina... give the stock speaker time to break in and I think you'll be quite satisfied with it.

Enjoy!

7. redeyedjim

Thanks, guys. I appreciate the range of opinions. I'm usually pretty thorough with these sorts of decisions, so I'll play it with the stock speaker, then try out some of the other speakers I've accumulated and see how those sound. I have a G10 Gold in another amp and I am definitely interested in hearing that, too. I have a 12" greenback as well, so I'll give that a whirl, too (in another cab, obviously).

Just sort of curious what others were doing with theirs.

Thanks. The Marshall description for the amp uses the phrase "specially voiced Celestion", which is why I referred to it as such. And yes, it does seem to be the same as was in the Class 5.

I've heard some great demos of this amp on YT, and I am excited to get it and take it for a spin.

At the risk of opening another can of worms, anyone have any particular tube recommendations? I have a Phillips MiniWatt ECC82 and was going to try that for the power tube, and I have some older 12AX7s from the usual suspects I'll try, too. Though, again, the clips I've heard of bone stock units sound pretty darn good -- much better and more soulful than the SL-5 I used to own.

Last edited: May 8, 2015
  8. schwa

schwa Member

I put a GB in my Offset cab as well. :roll

9. RedPlating

RedPlating Member

How does the gb sound compared to stock speaker?

I have a 2x12 with vintage 30's (open back cab) and didn't really like it compared to the stock speaker in the offset cab. The offset cab was a little bit brighter which works better with this amp imo.

10. itstooloudMike

itstooloudMike Member

I have the JMP1c and JVM1c, both with stock speakers, and love them. I haven't fired up any of my larger amps since getting the Marshall 1-watters. You're going to love your JTM1c.

11. goldtone

goldtone Member

Nice. I like mine so much that I also bought the 1-watt Offset one too. Really cool amps.

12. Brian

Brian Member

I,ve had my JTM 1C over a year now,I tried both a Greenback 10" & a Tonetuby San Refel 10" both great speakers,but the 15 watt stock speaker
    sounded best of these to me in this combo

13. 03hal

03hal Member

Same for me with the JVM1C. Fantastic amp, haven't changed a thing.

14. redeyedjim

Update: So I received the amp last week and had some time to dive into it over the weekend. What a killer little amp! So damn musical and fun to play, even on the 0.1w setting. It sounded pretty good in stock form, if maybe a little buzzier than I thought it was going be. After getting a good feel for it with the stock tubes and speaker I began rolling some different tubes and speakers through it, and it didn't take too long to come up with a mix that I preferred to the stock offerings. I'm fortunate to have a number of 10" speakers on my parts shelf from other projects, but the one that sounded best to me was (surprisingly) an EV 10M - I did not think the EV was going to wake up with the meager 1w this amp is pushing through it, but it did, and it sounds great! Between the EV and some ANOS tubes the amp lost its buzziness and gained clarity (in a good way) and crunch; the amp just sounds "better" now across the board. The stock Celestion G10F-15 is itself a good sounding speaker and may even be a bit louder still than the EV, but the sound from the EV had more "body", at least to my ears: tight bass, focused mids, detailed top end without any shrillness to it. EVs tend to be the acid test for most amps, and because they are so neutral they don't paper over flaws the way some other speakers do. The EV 10M revealed the JTM1C to be a really good sounding amp, and a better sounding amp than I was expecting. If I were in a mix I might prefer the G10F-15 as it probably cuts through better, but for playing solo the sound from the JTM1C with the EV (and ANOS tubes) is pretty tough to beat.

I had been half-heartedly looking for a JTM1C in my price range for a year or two now, not really expecting to find one, so it is great to have finally found one, and also a relief to not be disappointed with it. No buyer's remorse here. This is a great amp and one I expect to keep for a very long time.

15. Gamehendge

Gamehendge Member

The stock speaker in my JTM1C was nice, but I find the G10 Greenback has better balance and is not mid-hyped like the stock speaker. On a scale of 1-10, with 10 being the greater, I'd say the change from a G10F-15 to a G10 Greenback was a "3-4". I think the G10F-15 and G10 Greenback sound similar; the handwired Marshall 1958x is factory spec'd with speakers that Marshall lists as "G10F-15 Greenbacks"

I found that replacing the G10N-40 in the JMP1C with a G10 Greenback was phenomenal and moved the tone toward early brown sound territory. Replacing the G10F-15 in my JCM1C with a G10 Vintage was more rewarding when compared to with my JTM and JMP speaker swaps; it made the JCM1C sound full, improved upon the touch dynamics and greatly up'd versatile between cleans and distortion; the cleans are quite nice and woody. The jubilee mode in the JCM1C was useless with the stock speaker/tubes, and is ROYAL now. Running stock, I'd say the tone coming out of my JMP1C and JCM1C had overlap, but are now distinct while keeping true to the decade they were made to represent. It took some time for the G10 Vintage to breakin; the trebles mellowed out overtime so don't judge this speaker right out-of-the-box. I'd say the speaker replacements contributed 65% toward overall improvement in all amps and 35% from tube swapping.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2015
  16. Gamehendge

Gamehendge Member

JJ 12AX7s are OK and sound somewhat like a Mullard short-plate in that they do not have ice-pick trebles, though the Mullard short-plates are so much better in V1; the JJ is like good skim milk and the Mullard is buttermilk. With regard to the JTM1C, try an RCA shortplate in V2 and RFT in V3. The short-plate RCA in V2 warms and clears up well with a Mullard in V1, and an RFT in V3 keeps the distortion sweet and tight. The RFT au7s are an affordable NOS and go for $29+change at TubeDepot. Contrary to what people say about the stock tubes being good - they're somewhat right about the V1 and V2 but the power tubes are not good. I find that the RFT in the JTM1C keeps the lows and mids tight and not flubby as I discovered with other types of 12au7s such as the RCA Cleartop. IMHO, the combo's work better with short plate tubes - especially the power stage. Microphonics are one thing, but the long plates can run really, really hot which concerns me as the sockets are directly connected to the PCB. Since the JTM has somewhat of a darker tone with JJ or Mullards installed, I'd recommend using a short length, low capacitance guitar cable (20-25pF per foot) so the tone doesn't go flat - especially with humbuckers.

My tube swapping experience with my JMP1C and JCM1C differ somewhat. The JMP1C rules with RCA 12AT7 power tubes, the stock 12ax7b in V2 and a Mullard in V1 which I'm thinking of pulling out and replacing with a JJ. The JCM1C is loaded with RFT's across the board. I'm playing my anniversary combo amps with a Schecter that is loaded with a '59 humbucker set and a Les Paul with Seth Lover's. What works or sounds great for one may not be the case for another.

Does anybody else have any good experience to share from tube swapping their 50th Anniversary combo's?

Last edited: Jun 16, 2015
    Sunstone Recordings likes this.
  17. TubeStack

TubeStack Supporting Member

Congratulations! Killer amp and best Marshall I've had for home use. My JTM1C gets played every single day; it's my main at-home amp and I love it, with or without pedals.

I love the stock speaker, make sure to give it some time to work in.

18. Gamehendge

Gamehendge Member

I tried out the stock speaker again in the JTM1C and it works well - makes the gain focused and has a real deep low end, but found that the clean tones were suffering when compared to the G10 Greenback. I put the Greenback and the stock tubes back in - I think the JTM1C works better with the stock tubes. Some people say that new production, all-valve amps are designed around new production tubes and after what I've heard - I can start to see their point. I'm using the JJ and Marshall 12ax7b in the JMP1C, but with NOS RCA power tubes; the JCM1C still has the RFT's across the board.