NAD - Mesa Electra Dyne

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Kentano2000, Apr 15, 2016.

1. Kentano2000

Kentano2000 Member

Just when I think I'm out, they pull me back in! I'm back in the ED camp after being away for a few years. The UPS man done up and delivered me a combo in the bronco tan tolex! I also found a shell for the combo head on Reverb so I'll be moving the chassis into that so I can actually move the thing around. Just lifting the combo to move it up the stairs has my sciatica a bit upset with me. But this baby sounds as big as it weighs, so no regrets there! I'll be running it through the combo cab, a Lone Star 1x12 w/V30, or my Marshall 2061x. This one's with me til my dying day; it's just MY amp, you know? Mandatory pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

TubeStack, Papa Smurf, Hcklr and 7 others like this.
  2. gtwannabe

gtwannabe Member

Looks great! I was really intrigued by the Electra Dyne a while back, however, it seemed too much for me to lug around. I'd love to see a pic in the smaller combo cab if you have the time btw.

Kentano2000 likes this.
  3. djw

djw Member

Congrats! I got a medium head a couple of months ago, and I am loving it! Amazing amp. If you can find a Royal Atlantic 27" 1x12 cabinet, that thing is the serious bomb with this amp. It even sounds good with the stock C90!

Enjoy! :rockin

Lef T and Kentano2000 like this.
  4. SgtThump

SgtThump Member

I'm a big fan myself! Welcome back!

Kentano2000 likes this.
  5. la noise

la noise Member

Fantastic! :aok

Snagged myself an ED
    head a few months back
    myself. :dude

moosewayne and Kentano2000 like this.
  6. Cgkindler

Cgkindler Member

I had one adn ended up trading it for a BadCat Cub III 15r combo....

It was CRAZY heavy...it never left the house...it was also GLORIOUSLY LOUD AND AWESOME THOUGH....

But it was simply just TOO HEAVY to really consider moving around. I've owned only ONE HEAD in my entire life...and that was less than the 30 day return period (Grandmiester 36 head with the footswitch....SWEET amp, but just something additional that I really would never use)

Post a pic after you rehouse it!

Hcklr and Kentano2000 like this.
  7. mesa/kramer

mesa/kramer Member

Love the Electrodyne

Kentano2000 likes this.
  8. BelgPJ

BelgPJ Member

I'm actively looking for an ED medium head in the UK ... hen's teeth have been more available, but patience is generally rewarded :cool:

Kentano2000 likes this.
  9. 6string_highway

6string_highway Member

Congrats and welcome back. This amp just slays. Just gig it last night for a 4 hr. set for classic rock, alternative, tool, mastodon and hard rock kind of thing and it delivers in spades such a huge sounding amp.

Kentano2000 likes this.
  10. BBBJay

BBBJay Member

Love the color, Mesa makes great stuff!

Kentano2000 likes this.
  11. Kentano2000

Kentano2000 Member

Thanks everyone! I appreciate the well wishes and the "welcome backs." :banana

It's just a head shell, not a combo cab.

Yes, the C90 is a match made in heaven with the Dyne. After I remove the chassis I'll be using the combo 27" cab, which is basically the same cab. The RA 1x12 used to be the Electra Dyne 1x12 before they discontinued the Dyne.

Yes, the weight is why I'm rehousing. Can't deal with it! I will post a couple of pics after rehousing.

It IS huge sounding! When I had my first combo, I AB'd it by playing through the combo and then hooking it up to my Marshall 4x12 1960 AX cab w/ greenbacks. Not too much of a difference at all, really. Who needs to lug around a 4x12? LOL.

Thanks! Yeah, my first one was black and I loved that, too. But this one is just too sexy and a great deal came up on it. Mint condition for a great price. With the matching chassis shell available it was like destiny was having it's way. Plus, I've got a set of EL34s lying around that I used in my first Dyne so I am all set! :aok:dude

12. Loudguitar

Loudguitar Member

I have that exact same combo. The weight!!! Called Mesa the other day about a possible rehouse. They said the chassis will fit in a Lone Star headshell. I love this amp, though and don't want to break it up.

Kentano2000 likes this.
  13. jpage

jpage Member

I've had a couple of these amps and sold them. I will own another one lol. Throw your OD of choice in front and it really can do anything. Of course we all know what boat anchors Mesa combos are, that's a given.

Kentano2000 likes this.
  14. Kentano2000

Kentano2000 Member

Well, I transferred the chassis out of the combo cab and into the head shell (found out it was made by Amplified Nation) this morning. A few fits and starts but no major issues to overcome. I'll probably get a Mesa badge for the new head and try to figure out something to do with the gap the chassis left in the cab. Here are some pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. jpage

jpage Member

Cool project and nice work--looks great!

Kentano2000 likes this.
  16. bricel24

bricel24 Member

Wow very nice on the head-cab mod! I've wanted an ED some time ago and almost scored one but due to the weight and all, I lost interest and found another amp instead.

Kentano2000 likes this.
  17. sugarlou

sugarlou Supporting Member

Why is the head shell so big? I mean its beautiful ...but seems like it should have speakers in it!

i loved my Electra but the weight got to me also. And don't get me going on that foot switch design

Good luck with the amp!

i wish they made a mini 'Dyne

hendrik7 and Kentano2000 like this.
  18. SgtThump

SgtThump Member

I may bit the bullet at some point and buy a lonestar headshell from Mesa and get a wide 1x12 matching cab or maybe the lonestar open back 2x12 cab.

Kentano2000 likes this.
  19. Kentano2000

Kentano2000 Member

Thanks guys. Yeah, it turned out nice! With my back problems this is the only way I could ever actually own the Dyne and enjoy it.

The head shell looks "big" because it's not very wide; there's not much to offset the height. I will say that those few extra vertical inches came in handy when transferring the chassis in.

You can just keep the combo cab and continue using it. That's what I'm doing. I was looking at Lonestar cabs but found this one at about a quarter of the price and a dead-on match. BAM! :D

20. Kentano2000

Kentano2000 Member

Took some pics while I had the chassis out. Now I know my Dyne's birthday!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

bricel24 likes this.