NAD - Mesa Electra Dyne

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Kentano2000, Apr 15, 2016.

1. amplifiednation

amplifiednation Supporting Member

The guys that ordered those from us all wanted them 12" tall. They soecifically asked for that, so we did it!!!

Looks great!

amdowell and Kentano2000 like this.
  2. vmjoe

vmjoe Member

I'm on my third Electradyne. The first I bought was a 2 x 12. I had demoed a 1 x 12 that sounded great, so I figured a 2 x 12 would sound even better. It really didn't. I thought the 1 x 12 actually sounded better. I sold it and went on a boutique quest for awhile and bought some wonderful amps. Every one though was very single dimension, so I normally kept two amps at all times to have more versatility. At this point, I had a PRS on hold at a local guitar shop. I went in one day to check things out. They had a floor model ED for a great price, so I plugged in and played. I had enough equity in the PRS that I could bring the ED home. Kept it for awhile and was happy, then came a divorce which caused me to unload most of my gear. Finally, I bought another floor model ED and plan to never part with it. I almost did, looking for something lower wattage, but I'm very happy now that I didn't. The ED is very versatile and just a great amp imo.

Kentano2000 likes this.
  3. Kentano2000

Kentano2000 Member

Yes it does! Well there you have it everyone; straight from the horses mouth! Thanks for chiming in. The shell is a great piece of kit and a dead on match for the cab! The reverb tank fits in there nice and snug, no need for any extra mounting reinforcement. So glad I lucked into it!

Yeah, the 2x12 actually sounds a little bit boxy compared to the 1x12 to my ears. I relate to your quest and am very happily back myself. I'm stayin' for good!

vmjoe likes this.
  4. Kentano2000

Kentano2000 Member

And some gut shots for ya'll:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. NortheastHick

NortheastHick Supporting Member

So you made it into a smaller combo? What speaker are you going to put in the smaller one? Looks like there's room for 2x10's in there.

6. Kentano2000

Kentano2000 Member

Nope, it's just a shell for the chassis. Did you read through the thread? LOL.

sugarlou likes this.
  7. NortheastHick

NortheastHick Supporting Member

LOL Just being a smaht azz.... Looks cool, had a 1x12 and it was a great amp..

Kentano2000 likes this.
  8. rippingrudy

rippingrudy Member

Bruce Springsteen uses this amp - He is the Boss - Therefor the ED must rule.

Kentano2000 likes this.
  9. Kentano2000

Kentano2000 Member

Well, the ED WAS born in the USA!

10. 6string_highway

6string_highway Member

I wonder if I can put a fan on my dyne combo. It gets hot afetr 4hrs. of playing live.

11. Kentano2000

Kentano2000 Member

It's frying after 30 minutes! LOL. I might buy a small battery powered fan to use in the head when I play for extended periods. I never used a fan when I first had one and never experienced any problems. The thing is a BEAST.

12. amdowell

amdowell Supporting Member

I hear a lot from guys here on TGP that I might dig the Electra Dyne being a fan of the Stiletto. Eager to hear your thoughts on it. I really dig your project btw. Looks killer! Congrats on the new amp!

la noise and Kentano2000 like this.
  13. Kentano2000

Kentano2000 Member

Thanks man. I've never played a Stiletto so I can't really compare for you. I just know the Dyne delivers in a big way for me. If you have a chance to try one out I highly recommend it!

amdowell likes this.
  14. billyg121

billyg121 Supporting Member

Does the ED have more of a hot rod Marshall flavor?

Kentano2000 likes this.
  15. sugarlou

sugarlou Supporting Member

I thought the E.D. had a Voxy Brian May type singing tone to it when gained up. Kind of nasally but pleasant sounding. It could nail the Bohemian Rhapsody solo sound.

Kentano2000 likes this.
  16. Kentano2000

Kentano2000 Member

In the red mode, yes. In the blue mode it sounds sort of like an elegant JTM45 to my ears.

Yeah, in the red mode you can get some gainy Vox tones if you fool with the EQ. Sort of a hidden jem in this amp.

17. 6string_highway

6string_highway Member

blue channel is old-marshall w/ mesa tonality as its icing the red channel is a morph between hot JCM800 and Mark1. max the presence control and put the volume to 2:30-3:30, mids and treble at 1 o'clock bass 9 o'clock boost it w/ and OD and you can summon those famous Dual Rectifier monster. This amp is a beast wrap in a fancy cage.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2016
    Kentano2000 likes this.
  18. primal

primal Supporting Member

Love this amp. Miss mine bigtime.

Will probably pick one up in the future

Kentano2000 likes this.
  19. Kentano2000

Kentano2000 Member

This is a nice description of those channels.

My story to a "T." Glad to be back!

20. majorminor

majorminor Silver Supporting Member

Loved mine too, but will not be replacing it. I was lucky in that I was able to sell my 1x12 wide body combo to a local friend. He got a great deal and I didn't have to deal with shipping that boat anchor :)

I only miss it when I read these threads. Just too loud and too heavy for me, but that blue channel is something special. I definitely get the cult following the Electra Dyne is getting.

vmjoe and Kentano2000 like this.