NAD: Mesa f50

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Carabinerx, Mar 2, 2015.

1. Carabinerx

Carabinerx Member

So glad to finally be writing this. Its been a month in the works, but ive finally gotten my hands on this perfectly conditioned Mesa Boogie F-50, my very first. And it has to be said, the cleans are amazing on this amp. Still learning to dial in the drive channel -- it sounds good, or can sound really good, but it's very apparent that it needs volume to really breathe life into it, so a bottom-gain-bluesy-crunch is where it lives right now. But man...this amp really can sound like A LOT of things, shockingly versatile.

[​IMG]

2. Phletch

Phletch Member

Congrats! F50s often fly under the radar. Great amps, and, yeah, like most Mesas, they're gigging/band volume amps and need to be up on the pipe to really breathe.

3. Paul Bateman

Paul Bateman Member

I gigged the F-50 for about 3 years. Cool amp

I never used the contour on the distortion channel at gigs. I learned quick with this amp that what you hear at home volume is nothing like what you hear at gig volume. Its the biggest difference i have ever heard from any amp going from home to gig.

At home i used the contour when playing high gain and it sounded awesome if i tamed the bass a bit. Without the contour the distortion channel sounded pretty weak and needed a boost.

At gig volume the contour was like a self destruct button that made the amp sound like total squishy crap........yet without the contour the distortion roared and became one of the best distortion channels i have ever gigged with.

I think one of the best lead sounds i have ever found is the F-50's distortion channel (without contour) boosted with a BB Preamp.

As for cleans.........awesome at any volume :)

4. Al Rose

Al Rose Silver Supporting Member

As Joe said, this series is often overlooked. The F series came after the DC series, and before the Express series. The F series has great cleans. Congrats on you purchase!

Al

5. rummy

rummy Member

Enjoyed my time with the F50. Great clean channel, great high gain sounds, but it lacked the middle ground, verge of the breakup sound for me. And, it's LOUD!
    Congrats.

6. Carabinerx

Carabinerx Member

Thanks guys, yea really been enjoying it -- cant speak for my neighbors though, hah. Im still on the fence with the OD channel...it is really lacking a low end, its very high gain heavy, ive got the bass eq maxed out and it still is all treble and mid OD, just sounds...muddy, unless I really lighten up on the crunch, but then its just a sterile twang. I cranked the clean channel gain, and that has a good OD, with the right eq its very rich, so why is the OD channel such a dud? I honestly think I need to put some volume to it to highlight the bass, but its WAAAY to loud, cant even get 1/4 on the master volume...

7. dirk_benedict

dirk_benedict Supporting Member

Congrats. A workhorse amp that is an absolute steal used these days.

The not-so-well-kept secret on these amps is to get an EQ pedal and run it in the loop. Worlds of difference on all channels..it will solve your lack of bass and then some. IT will cure the amp of the stiff, cutting cleans thing that all Mesas seem to have. You can get around the volume issue if the EQ pedal has a master level slider on it as well.

Alternatively, you can make a terminated patch cable, stick it in the send/return and voila, your loop volume becomes a master volume.

This is a great amp but it really wants to be loud to perform it's best. Solved with either of the things listed above.

All that said, this amp is NOT great for "bluesy OD" on the Drive channel. Maybe with the gain jacked up high on the Normal channel, but even then, an OD pedal is a better bet.

8. TakisMasterKey

TakisMasterKey Member

Hook up an EQ in the Effects Loop and the F-50 will be a different animal!

pete james likes this.
  9. bluejazzoid

bluejazzoid Supporting Member

^^This does change the beast considerably!

I love my F-50, and I've found that running it with an extension cab will definitely expand the amp's tonal palette nicely... esp the low end at gig volumes. I've got a WGS Reaper 55hz in my ext cab – and yes, I know it's rated at 30w... I don't care. :crazy

pete james likes this.
  10. leftycajun

leftycajun Member

I had one long ago. It was the LOUDEST amp I've ever owned. Totally unusable for my situation. Sounded great but I had to sell it to avoid eviction.

11. Monstercastle

Monstercastle Supporting Member

12. AXEL276

AXEL276 Member

Me 3rd with this ^. I had one a ways back as well. The EQ in the loop makes a difference.

13. blackmonday

blackmonday Member

Congrats!

I have lots of amps, the F50 combo is my favorite. I played a million shows with it, and the other guitarist in the band had a 4x12. I had no problem being heard! I love the drive tone, didn't use the contour either.

14. Zeliadan

Zeliadan Member

Do you remember which EQ you used?

15. AXEL276

AXEL276 Member

I use the Boss GE-7. I have long since sold the F-50 but still use the GE-7 in the loop of all my current amps; (2) Blackstars, Marshall JVM410, Tech 21 TM60, Egnater Rebel 30. I generally set the EQ flat and may slightly raise the first and second sliders (highs) very slightly. I also slightly bring up the level. It doesn't take much but definitely adds some sweatness!

16. Zeliadan

Zeliadan Member

Time for me to look for and EQ. Thanks!

17. wildschwein

wildschwein Member

18. theroan

theroan Member

This amp does very well with an EQ in the loop. It's like a nice Fender clean with a recto gain channel.

19. HoboMan

HoboMan Silver Supporting Member

I gigged an F50 head for a while thru a Marshall cab.
    The clean channel was amazing. I only used the clean channel and hit it with an overdrive for my gain tones.

Later on I bought the 1x12 combo.
    Sounded flubby.
    I swapped out the speaker for a CL80 and WOW what a difference.
    No more flub. Tight lows, punchy mids and smooth highs.