NAD...Mesa Mark IV !

seeker

Well , for years I've had GAS for anything Mesa. Never having owned any Mesa/ Boogie amps, and never playing through one ( never had the opportunity ) and finally took the plunge since it's a buyer's market for just about anything these days. I picked up a '91 Mark IV-A off FeeBay for around $1k . I read all of the reviews , watched all of the chugga chugga YouTube metal demos, and thought if I didn't like it I could always flip it and break even . Anyway , in the first hour I dialed in some great tones without any trouble at all, despite all of the mixed reviews claiming it took weeks to get a good sound. I don't know, this thing has that certain magic, it's very versatile, and in the end I still sound like me, only better ! With so many options built in, this amp is capable of so many sounds it's mind boggling .
Anyway, just my opinion, I'm sure the Mesa haters will unite, but I think this is a great amp, and paired with my MDD it's my dream rig now.

H

Rampage

Congrats, and HNAD! I think I know which one you snagged; it was from some dude in California and the auction ended this past weekend, correct? I had been watching it. :p

Great amps, for sure. I actually have one on the way to me right now (should be a NAD thread next week!). With all of the different switches/modes to run the amp in, they really are incredibly versatile. Now what you need to do is find a matching EV-12L Thiele cabinet!

By the way, pretty cool how sensitive the tone stack is, huh?

Selsaral

You posted this thread without pics? What kind of dirty, underhanded maneuver is that? :p Btw, what cab are you using?

Nickstrtcstr

Lactose Intolerant Guitar Slinger
Cool let us know how you make out with it. As a Mark III owner I can tell you from experience you may have some issues with a certain hardness to the tone but, I have found a lower gain V-1 tube will make any Boogie sound sweet and harmonically rich. I love my Boogie.

seeker

Thanks guys ! Yes, this is the one from Calif, arrived in very good condition, almost minty except for one small ding. It's the short box that can be fitted to a rack with a the Mesa rack kit. I'm running it through my RedPlate cab with an old EV-12L 300 watter , sounds incredible. The previous owner included NIB Mesa 6L6 tubes. I have a huge selection of preamp tubes, but right out of the box I like everything I hear . I'm just amazed that you can run 5881's, 6V6's, EL34's, or 6L6's ....., triode, pentode... genius. My tonal influences are in the Darryl Stuermer, Shawn Lane area, so it's pretty easy with this amp, but you can achieve hard rock and everything in between no problem.

H

It is a great amp. Lots of sounds and knobs. Loved it till I compared it to my Marshall then I sold it. Just didn't have the thump I was looking for.

xtian

Gold Supporting Member
I bought a IVa a couple of years ago; had admired them since the early 90s. Only complaint: tough to play at bedroom levels, and have the settings translate to a live situation. Gotta practice at the same higher levels to dial it in properly. $1K is an awesome price.

seeker

I bought a IVa a couple of years ago; had admired them since the early 90s. Only complaint: tough to play at bedroom levels, and have the settings translate to a live situation. Gotta practice at the same higher levels to dial it in properly. $1K is an awesome price.

I think any high wattage amp , even with an attenuator or power scaling, the tone suffers at bedroom levels. Need to move air, but JMHO. I have a basement studio that is soundproofed and I play LOUD ! So it works for me . I have another room I use for isolation when recording, and it's REALLY loud..( gig level ) . LOL I've tried the pedal route, but always go back to my Lexicon MPX-1 in the loop, then use the output level control for the overall volume. With all of the amps I've tried everything needs to be above three on the dials otherwise it sounds a bit thin, even with my 18 watt Budda.
So far I really dig this amp....the only thing I need to fix is the cooling fan. Sounds like the bearings are toast, easy replacement .

H

I have mine from the first run .... and 22 years later I still find new sounds from my Mark IV.

A few years ago I was looking for a poweramp .... After doing direct A/B with all the popular poweramps I found I like the poweramp in the Mark IV better than any of them.
With its 8 voice options with wattage variable from 15 to 85 watts and the 5 band EQ it is very versatile.

Congratulations....

seeker

A fan controller is a great idea. You can turn the speed down to where it's still moving plenty of air, but the fan noise is greatly reduced. (This doesn't address your bearing problem--just a general comment on fan noise.) Then, if you know you're really going to work your amp long and loud, you can turn the fan back up.

Example:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Computer-PC-Mini-3-Pin-CPU-System-Fan-Speed-Controller-/290569827643?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43a74fb53b#ht_2573wt_1074

Great Idea, thanks ! I'll see if I can find one in the US ..

seeker

I have mine from the first run .... and 22 years later I still find new sounds from my Mark IV.

A few years ago I was looking for a poweramp .... After doing direct A/B with all the popular poweramps I found I like the poweramp in the Mark IV better than any of them.
With its 8 voice options with wattage variable from 15 to 85 watts and the 5 band EQ it is very versatile.

Congratulations....

Thanks ! I'm discovering so many sounds, I need to land on one for each channel and stop playing with switches. Have you tried other power tubes in yours ? I'm thinking I might give the EL34's a a try to see what the tonal difference might be in this thing.

H

Thanks ! I'm discovering so many sounds, I need to land on one for each channel and stop playing with switches. Have you tried other power tubes in yours ? I'm thinking I might give the EL34's a a try to see what the tonal difference might be in this thing.

H
I have a collection of tubes I started over 40 years ago .... I tried lots of tubes in it. The tubes I have in it right now I got from Mesa in the 80's. I picked up a lot of sets as the quality of tubes started going down and not made in this hemisphere.

The IV I like best with all 6L6.

xtian

Gold Supporting Member
yum. My MKIV has been in the closet for a few months. set it up today and had a great time playing my various axes. The clean channel, with gain at 10 and channel volume at 7 is just delicious.

seeker

Thanks guys ! It's a great amp, so many options. To think that after all these years I could have been playing one of these and saving big $$$ buying, trying and selling amps. I think my perception of Mesa products was that they were designed for metal or Santana, so it wasn't even on my radar.
I'm surprised to see all the Mesa love here.....

H

Trending Topics