NAD : Metro Amps Super Lead 12000 ('68)!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Tylenol Jones, Apr 22, 2015.

1. Tylenol Jones

Tylenol Jones Member

I'm thrilled! Just bought one of these locally. It features the following ;

• Merren trannies
    • NOS Iskra resistors
    • NOS mustard caps (almost everywhere)
    • SoZo caps for the rest
    • PEC PPIMV (post-master volume)
    • No-Name non-NOS EL34 power tubes
    • Mullard reissue preamp tubes

I'll be doing something about the last 2 items and created a thread for this.

Any tips you guys can tell me? I bought a Fryette Power Station not long ago. Some people have stated that amps sound better with the MV disengaged. Should I pay a tech to disconnect it completely to open up the sound more and use the PS instead or should I just keep the MV at 100% instead?

Any tips any of you more experience Marshall or Super Lead owners can give me for maintenance, really getting the best sound possible, tone tips on how to duplicate this or that tone, etc?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. teveinsene

teveinsene Member

Very nice! but no mention of how you liked the sound, tone?
    From what I can gather, turning the master all the way up takes it out of the circuit...I'd leave it.

3. Jason_77

Jason_77 Member

Tungsram in v1.

Also, (if it's anything like my '69 clone) try bass on 2, everything else on 7, including volume.

Congrats on a great amp, btw!

4. michael.e

michael.e Supporting Member

I have owned a shiite ton of Superleads over the last number of years. Best advice I can give is to close your eyes and tune it, then floor it.

That is what that amp is for.

5. Tylenol Jones

Tylenol Jones Member

Funny story. While I'm play-testing it, it sounds good but not great. Lots of hum, buzzing, and a bit of "shhhhhh" noise too. The more I play it, the more this bothers me. It only happened when a guitar was plugged in and when the volume on the guitar was not at zero.

I politely declined to buy it on the spot and told him I'd do some research. He calls me back while I'm on the road and told me he got rid of the noises. It was an easy solution ; plug it into another circuit in the house. Apparently, the plug the stove uses is a different clean circuit. When I swung back and heard the amp being played through that oven plug, it sounded fantastic! So I bought it on the spot!

That's what I thought, but needed confirmation. Since I'm no tech, I'll save some money simply by keeping it wide open on the MV 100% of the time and using my Fryette PS for attenuation. Thanks!

6. Tylenol Jones

Tylenol Jones Member

Is there more than one type? Otherwise, finding one should be easy. Any runner-ups?

Any suggestions for the rest of the slots? What about power tubes?

Oh, I'll definitely be experimenting. And thanks! I'm so stocked.

It won't be a chore to dial sounds through that head. Thanks for the advice.

7. stratpaulguy86

stratpaulguy86 Member

Congrats! I would leave the PPIMV in there, it doesn't hurt the tone to my ears when it's full blast and it works really well to tame the amp for those times that volume is an issue. I have my '69 spec Metro set like this at the moment:

Y-cord into both top channels
    Presence-5
    Bass-1.5
    Mids-10
    Treble-3
    Bright volume-10
    Bass volume-7

I love old NOS RCA's for the preamps, obviously Mullard XF2's are godly in these. I have Mullard Reissues in mine and they sound very good.