NAD...Morgan DAG 15

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by eksfiles, Jan 30, 2012.

1. eksfiles

eksfiles Member

The day has finally come. Waited patiently and all I can say its worth the wait.

How many Vox tones can Joe put into such a little head?? There is so many tones to be had.

I play it through a matching 1x12 cab loaded with a WGS Black n Blue speaker. Its a perfect combo for this amp. I honestly think it out Vox'es some of the Vox amps out there.

Some things I've noticed that are an improvement then your standard AC amps. Firstly, there is plenty more low end thump should you need it. It has more then enough for me. I could even stand to cut some of it out but its pretty much perfect.

Secondly, the cut knob is out of this world!! Vox are you listening? This is what it should sound like. Its noticable at both low volumes and high volumes, not just higher volumes in most Vox amps. The sweep is huge.

Thirdly, the treble is never shrill, and while the pull bright knob can take you to some fizz-ed out places, hey, you got a great cut knob to remedy that.

So far, some settings I'm digging are cut at 5 o'clock, and both bass and treble at 10 o'clock.

Then I tried cut at 10 o'clock, bass at 10 o'clock and treble at 2 o'clock.

And for something chimey, I use the pull bright swich and cut, bass and treble all at 10 o'clock. I'm not sure which is my favorite just yet. but they all sound like Vox heaven.... What an amp.

Thanks Joe!!

2. your name here

your name here Supporting Member

:nono

Why are there no pictures?!? C'mon, man!

3. cratz2

cratz2 Member

Did you order it without having played one? I mean, just relying on clips, reviews and comments?

I'm about 95% sure my next amp will be an AC20 Deluxe head. I love the Vox vibe, but lean towards cleaner tones. I like to use the words 'barky' and 'chewy' to describe the Vox tones I like and I rarely used the Top Boost channels on the two Vox amps I've owned.

But... another part of me thinks it might have a pinch too much headroom and I should go for the DAG. I'm really all about 'complex cleans' that are responsive when I dig it but constant breakup isn't me however that Keltner vid in the 'live studio' setting... MAN that thing sounds absolutely spectacular.

I'll probably end up taking a road trip to try them both in person before I make a decision... just wondering if you were able to do the same.

4. QQQ

QQQ Member

Congrats on your amp. DAG15's are awesome amps.

5. tvegas99

tvegas99 Silver Supporting Member

I just recieved a DAG15 head and I'm truly impressed... I'm playing around with different speakers and tubes for now... nothing fancy and everything sounds great so far

I love that the amp has plenty of low end and plenty of gain, great cut knob!

[​IMG]

6. eksfiles

eksfiles Member

I was just gonna post a pic, but tvegass99 posted the exact same amp and color I got. I also have the matching 1x12 cab in white.

Cratz2 - yes I ordered it without playing it. I had an AC20 Deluxe, and it was just missing some of that Top boost magic I wanted. Alone, it had all the tone one could ask for, however, I'm more satisfied with a little extra eq flexibility and the extra gain stage. I lost a touch on clean head room, but I really didn't need it. The clean are very complex and so far the possibilities seem endless with this thing.

But try them both if you've never played either amp. You can't go wrong.