• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

NAD: Morgan TS19 Head + Cab

thesooze

This week, I was stoked to get a new amp built for me by my friend, Mr. Joe Morgan.

I went to his shop in December, looking for a small head/cab that would sound different than my Matchless 30/15 head and 2x12 cab. Something more grab 'n go, but also something sonically different- more in the fender camp (love my Matchless for the Voxy stuff).

I played many of his RV/RCA amps before, but wanted something different. I played a PR12 and a TR19 that day, and really bonded with the TR19 combo he had. The combo had tremolo and reverb on it, but I didn't need those features. I asked if he could do a TR19 in a head and cab format, sans reverb and tremolo, and he said that would work. Since he hadn't done it before, he named the amp TS19 for The Sooze 19. The serial # even says "The Sooze" on it, which I didn't expect and laughed when I saw. Pretty awesome touch!

Anyways, it sounds KILLER. I like simple amps; my Matchless 30/15 is Tone, Vol, and Master. So Joe made this one Tone, Vol, and Power Scaling... it's like a 6V6 little baby brother of the larger/heavier Matchless setup. It sounds great across the gain range, can get sparkly fender cleans, but also sound gritty and gnarly... even @ lower volumes. Joe mentioned that this amp borrows from the Fender BF Deluxe circuit, and also some Tweed circuits... but is really neither. Sort of his own creation.

Needless to say, I'm excited and wanted to share, so I took some time today to snap some photos at the church I play/work at with my other gear. Hope you enjoy!

EDIT: Added a clip so you can hear the amp in action. This is an isolated track from a song we did in the studio recently... Nash Tele>Timmy>Dr. Sci Trem>TS19. Enjoy!

[SOUNDCLOUD]http://soundcloud.com/nathan-sousa/morgan-ts19-clip[/SOUNDCLOUD]

~ the Sooze

Last edited:

bpdeem

Just curious, what'd this little beauty cost?

Saw a demo on the youtube a few minutes ago. Sounds sweet!!!

thesooze

Just curious, what'd this little beauty cost?

Saw a demo on the youtube a few minutes ago. Sounds sweet!!!
From Joe's FB page:

Specs are - 19W cathode bias 2 12AX7s 2 6V6s 1 GZ34 - $1450 for a head.
These are special order only; and that price was w/out power scaling.

blake480

Silver Supporting Member
too cool man! How does that Jazzmaster sound out of it? That is what i play. Just got my AC20 deluxe head. today. Patiently awaiting that cab.

thesooze

Thanks gents! I love the look of it, as well as the sound.

Blake- the JM sounds killer! Great range of tones-- the dark circuit actually sounds great. I don't usually care for it w/ my Matchless, but it mixes well with the Fendery sound of the Morgan.

The highs of the Morgan are present without being too strident. Overall, a rounder sound and I'm able to get more "crumbly" midrangy chewy tones with it. It's really great.

off2kamp

GREAT looking amp! Congrats. What room is that in? Is that what a church looks like these days? Just curious.

thesooze

It is meant to be similar tonally to a Komet 19?
Is this a Fender Deluxe Reverb sorta amp?
Never heard/played a Komet 19, but I think Joe was mostly doing his own thing with this amp. Only borrowing from Fender circuits but not duplicating.

Awesome amp! What is the name of that grill cloth color?
The covering is Smoke Chilewich and the grill cloth is Cane.

GREAT looking amp! Congrats. What room is that in? Is that what a church looks like these days? Just curious.
Thanks!

The room is our main stage at Friends Church in Yorba Linda. I wouldn't say that tons of churches are this size, but our church is around 4,500- so we get close to filling up the room in a few services. It's a new building for us, and a ton of fun to play in!

stephenyi

I think Joe mentioned that the TR19 was an American style amp that mixed Gibson and Fender tones. If I'm not mistaken, Gibson had a 19 watt 6v6 amp with trem and reverb in the early 60s.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom