NAD - Morris Perplex’d JR 15AC

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by jguitarslim, Feb 28, 2019.

1. jguitarslim

jguitarslim Silver Supporting Member

Got to spend the last week w Glens latest creation. Very rarely have I’ve been this excited bout an amp. It’s a 15 watt version of its big brother with AC inspired clean channel. Really knocked it out of the park w this design. Perfect power for your typical gig or for us home players who like to crank it up.

The clean AC side has such nice chime, note depth which simply sounds fantastic. Can also get some nice breakup if desired. The drive side is Marshall inspired w two way gain switch covering lower gain classic rock to higher gain hard rock. The voicing on this amp is darn near perfect. Amp cleans up w guitar volume as well as you’d expect from Morris Amps-exceptional.

Given its power can really get tubes cookin right into the sweet spot, without sounding choked or too pushed. More importantly doesn’t sound or feel like a low powered amp. Amp is just a blast to play!

Last edited: Feb 28, 2019
  2. Echoplexi

Echoplexi Silver Supporting Member

I’ve been digging the clips on Instagram. Sounds great!

jguitarslim likes this.
  3. jguitarslim

Thanks man. I’m loving this amp

Echoplexi likes this.
  4. Hapax Legonemon

Hapax Legonemon Member

My only experience with Morris amps is the eXceSs III I purchased used. Just fantastic.
    I only narrowly missed a PerPlex'd 30 head, but there will be some sort of PerPlex'd in my future!

Congratulations on your new amp! I'm jealous!

jguitarslim likes this.
  5. Matteo11

Matteo11 Supporting Member

That awesome man! Sweet sounding amp. Cleans up great in the vid. (Like you I spend all my money on amps instead of getting new pants ha :) )

jguitarslim likes this.
  6. ItJustRocks

ItJustRocks Gold Supporting Member

I got my Perlex'd Jr15 AC and played it a couple days. First of all, I spoke with Glen about an amp looking for a nice range of marshall tones from big open light crunch/cleanish sounds to Ritchie Sambora lead style solos. He recommended the Perplex'd Jr. I liked this option too because I also wanted a smaller footprint for playing at home and small clubs.

After a couple discussions he thought out loud to me about putting a clean channel on the amp. I gave him the green light and long story short, it turned out so well that this version is the new standard version.

Playing the amp for a couple nights this amp excels at getting that big amp feel in a more manageable package. Single notes really bounce right off the fret board (I love that quick response) and you can feel the ka-thunk when you hit the lower strings, even at low volume. The tones are gorgeous and most notably, the feel is incredible. There's a nice smooth taper on the volume so you have a lot of range on the dial to get the exact volume you want, and this thing just roars when you get the master way up. It sounds best with my 2x12 but sits beautifully on my smaller 1x12 too.

Still have a lot of playing around to do with settings, running some delays through it, different speakers, etc. But so far I'm impressed at how well it captures the range of tones I wanted it to with the feel I hoped to get.

jguitarslim, filmosound and bbaug14 like this.
  7. jguitarslim

Glad you did such...cause I’m really digging this clean channel !

8. ItJustRocks

I wish I could take more credit but Glen really did all the work. I just mentioned how I really like to get some range out of my amps and he really had the idea to do it. I just said if you can do it and it can turn out well, I'll pay for it lol! I did say though that I didn't want the cleans if they sacrificed anything from the drive, and Glen really worked on it to get it to accomplish that. Super impressed with the tones and feel of this amp, and the service from Glen.

jguitarslim likes this.
  9. jguitarslim

That was my first question to Glen when he reached out to me about the two channel version.

He basically said not if you know what your doing, but in more technical terms I don’t understand lol

ericb likes this.
  10. ItJustRocks

11. jguitarslim

Lower gain clip on Marshall side...

12. filmosound

filmosound Member

Love that! I’ve had the single channel Perplex’d Jr 15 for almost 2 years now and it has really become my main amp lately. Love playing through it. Always good times.

I had the opportunity to play this new Jr 15AC to check out the added clean channel and for the ~15% upcharge it’s well worth having the channel switching and added clean. The gain switch in position 1 now gives a bit less gain like a Plexi and Gain 2 still gives hot-rodded tones!

jguitarslim likes this.
  13. Always-Ben

Always-Ben Supporting Member

How dirty can the AC clean channel get when cranked?

14. jguitarslim

Very dirty, right into killer AC distortion.
    Here is clip illustrates some range on that side.

Always-Ben likes this.
  15. Always-Ben

Very nice! I probably won’t need it that overdriven (more of a light-medium breakup) but good to know it has the juice if needed.

16. Always-Ben

How’s the Master Volume on this thing? Does the tone fare well when the knob is down to the halfway point? One third? Etc.

17. jguitarslim

Keep in mind Master only affects M side & works in tandem w gain knob. It’s fantastic.

I’m just home player these days and it’s perfect for that. Also don’t think have any issues playing the usual gigs these days despite being only 15 watts or so. What I also like is despite being able to crank it right into sweet spot it doesn’t feel or sound like a small amp. IMO probably best bang for the buck out there. Blows lotta usual beloved suspects out of the water.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
  18. Always-Ben

Great. And how much does it weight? Doesn't say it on their site.

19. jguitarslim

Never weighed but
    Shipping box was 31lbs
    So imagine around 28 lbs

20. ItJustRocks

I don't like the clean channel cranked. Its not terrible and has a nice fundamental feel and tone, but I wouldn't say the cranked clean channel that's where the amp excels. I prefer it 11-3 o'clock instead of cranked. For the cranked clean channel I like the master all the way up on the M side with the toggle in the lower gain setting then bump up the gain to the desired grit. The gain channel cleans up so well you can also use your volume knob to hit a pushed clean sound too. There is a ton of flexibility in this amp in terms of gain and brightness settings, master volume, guitar volume, and a boost pedal - you can really do a lot.

The only challenge I'm having with the amp is my strat really squeals with the higher gain settings. After a lot of amp A-B'ing I realized that there is more gain in the higher gain settings than I normally play with. Its my pickups, not the amp. I prefer my strat on the lower gain setting and its damn good in those situations. Can't wait to run a humbucker through it gained up!!!

A few feature that I love about this amp:

There isn't a lot of talk about the loop but its great. I haven't found any noise in it and have run several delays and effects through it.

There is a feel switch on the back that toggles between a slightly faster, harder attack and an attack with a bit more give. Really nice touch.

The master volume on gain side is a reverse taper, so the volume comes on slow then jump a bit more once you get past noon. This is super handy for fine tuning a nice home volume instead of the amp just roaring once the volume is past 2 .

The amp cleans up incredibly well. I nudged Glen to do the clean channel and its great for an immediate bump down from the gain settings, but I also found that the gain channel cleans up so well I can see some not using the clean channel.

The head is a very manageable in terms of weight and size and is easy to carry.

Glen was great to work with - get an amp from him. I might try to get a different model, but this amp has been great for practicing at home with real tone and feel.