NAD - Morris Perplex’d JR 15AC

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by jguitarslim, Feb 28, 2019.

1. ItJustRocks

ItJustRocks Gold Supporting Member

Jim, I'm curious to hear more about what speakers you've tried with yours.

2. jguitarslim

jguitarslim Silver Supporting Member

Have ran it thru 212 w V30/Scum M75 mix.

112 with ASW Crossroads and also G12-35XC

Dig em all

3. Always-Ben

Always-Ben Supporting Member

I think I’ll be fine theoretically. For the clean channel...how far up the knob before it starts to break up just a little?

4. filmosound

filmosound Member

3/4s volume here. After starting with a DiMarzio Twang King bridge it is switched to a lower output vintage Tele neck pup.

Though this was the first 15AC built and was a bit hotter on the clean channel but is all good as jguitarslim loves it. Don't forget recordings sound more distorted.

I recall it starting to have light breakup with volume at 3/4s.

It is a clean channel that blends well when channel switching and is the best it can possibly be in a circuit that was originally designed as a single channel M style for Plexi gain to hot-rodded 800. Clean channel has Vox tone controls and Class A output helps say it is Vox but this is a great M style amp first and a nice Added Clean (AC) channel 2nd.

You can also listen to all videos of the single channel Perplex'd Jr 15 to hear the distortion channel of the Jr 15AC. However the lower gain 1 position of the 15AC was changed to have a bit less gain. Gain 2 position is the same.

5. filmosound

filmosound Member

I use a Mojotone Select 2x12 with a G12M Greenback and G12H30 Anniversary with an older Morris Classic head. It works great with the Perplex'd Jr too but then I prefer the cab vertically with the Greenback on top so I might like two Greenbacks horizontally.

6. Always-Ben

That's fine....I'm looking at this first and foremost as a Marshall, just good to have AC cleans as most amps that try to mix it up opt for Fendery type ones.

filmosound likes this.
  7. ItJustRocks

ItJustRocks Gold Supporting Member

I like the voicing of Glen's clean channel. It sounds like it belongs with that amp, as opposed to a separate fender amp. I don't mind that kind of sound, but I can never balance the eq. I like clean sounds to sound and feel like an incredible clean version of the gain channel, not a separate amp. Just sounds more natural to me.

8. Always-Ben

Does the full version of the Perplex'd Signature have a different kind of clean then?

9. filmosound

filmosound Member

Perplex'd Signature 3 ch, GCM 40, and Perplex'd Jr 15AC all have a similar British clean channel preamp but the 15AC output stage is Class A with no negative feedback.

10. Always-Ben

Ahhh...no negative feedback generally means looser feel and slightly more dynamic right?