NAD - Morris Perplex'd

tone?

Anyone have a back to back comparison of the Morris with a well known modern amp ?

That would be really helpful since you can’t try before you buy with these.

Thanks in advance !

bbaug14

Silver Supporting Member
Ive owned the GCM008 (basically a 2 channel perplex’d) as well as the perplex’d at the same time as the JJ100, wizard mc2, Bogner GF45 and BE100. All the others are gone and still have the perplex’d! Although I do love the goldfinger too

Nearly the same boat. Had the Be100, Metro-Plex, MCII, Goldfinger 90, Helios, Triptik 2, and Landry. The Morris is still here.

ericb

Gold Supporting Member
Nearly the same boat. Had the Be100, Metro-Plex, MCII, Goldfinger 90, Helios, Triptik 2, and Landry. The Morris is still here.

So why? What do you specifically like more about the Morris than those? i.e. a certain feature, the sound (s) at certain volumes? What kind of music do you play? THANKS! Eric

bbaug14

Silver Supporting Member
So why? What do you specifically like more about the Morris than those? i.e. a certain feature, the sound (s) at certain volumes? What kind of music do you play? THANKS! Eric

For me, the Morris has the tones I want to hear and the right feature set. For instance, the Helios was cool, but only had one useable tone available at a time, making it essentially a single channel amp. The Friedman didn't have the Marshall mids. The MCII lacked a dedicated clean and had more it's own thing going on. The Metro-Plex did the Plexi stuff, but the MOD mode didn't work for me.

I play anything from classic rock to modern/hard rock. The Perplex'd gives me the tones I want for what I play and with 3 channels, I don't need stomboxes for gain. It ain't perfect, but it works for me .

erikm5150

Well I’m sure gonna be fantastic !

Thanks!
I did speak with Glen before ordering and he told me that the Perplexd jr 30 can be built with a 2 x el34 class A/B power amp like the GCM (from my understanding this would be similar to the 'typical' power amp on most marshall type amps like a plexi or jcm800), or the dual el34 in class A (with 2 separate output transformers!!)
I chose the class A option (which from what I understand is the 'original' option for the Jr 30)

jbonanad

Don't want to hijack the thread, but I'm curious if any of you have compared the Morriss or any of the other great amps mentioned (BE, Helios, Triptik, etc) with the 3rd power Citizen Gain. If so, what's your opinion?

jguitarslim

Don't want to hijack the thread, but I'm curious if any of you have compared the Morriss or any of the other great amps mentioned (BE, Helios, Triptik, etc) with the 3rd power Citizen Gain. If so, what's your opinion?

Morris has more raw M thing going vs many others mentioned. Hits harder, sounds bigger from memory. Loved the Helios (hot 70s) but had usage limitations as channel switcher. Morris more functional. Citizen gain is more refined, more modern sounding than Morris . I’d take Morris over friedman/CA any day for old school rock & hard rock.

bbaug14

Silver Supporting Member
Morris has more raw M thing going vs many others mentioned. Hits harder, sounds bigger from memory. Loved the Helios (hot 70s) but had usage limitations as channel switcher. Morris more functional. Citizen gain is more refined, more modern sounding than Morris . I’d take Morris over friedman/CA any day for old school rock & hard rock.

This sums up my experience perfectly as well.

filmosound

Anybody get to check out Perplex’d Jr? Love to hear some thoughts as think this will be my next Morris amp.

Yeah the Perplex’d Jr 15 is great if you only need one channel. And it is loud enough for most drummers (depends on your cabinet) and does very low volume gain tones extremely well. A few months ago I believe I commented that I am not a Marshall guy but I have been converted since then! Lol.

filmosound

Besides sound, features and superior build quality the one thing you might not get till you play a Morris in person is the organic feel where you really become one with the amp.

I hope anyone reading here for the first time knows how to find the pricing for Morris Amps on their Facebook page (website was last updated 2014).

Last edited:

Matteo11

How does the Perplex'd stack up to the Landry LS30?

I stumbled upon the Landry recently and that sounded absolutely amazing and decided I'm getting one .....then I find this thread and listen to the Perplex'd and I can't decide which one sounds better.

Any help much appreciated!

Matteo11

Thanks guys! Can you tell me is the MV on the Perplex'd as good as I hear the MV is on the LS30? (It will be a home amp only since I am not playing out) .....Also is the amount of gain similar on the LS30 as the Perplex'd?

Appreciate the input! I need to make a buying decision soon.

Matteo11

Perplex’d is bigger sounding & more organic imo. No comparison...
Thanks guys! Can you tell me is the MV on the Perplex'd as good as I hear the MV is on the LS30? (It will be a home amp only since I am not playing out) .....Also is the amount of gain similar on the LS30 as the Perplex'd?

Appreciate the input! I need to make a buying decision soon.

bbaug14

Silver Supporting Member
MV is certainly as good. The Landry probably has more gain on tap, maybe. Comparable overall, but the tone is different. The Landry is more focused and sounds a lot like an 800. The Morris is more Plexi and will have a wider sound with more punch.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom