NAD - Morris Perplex'd

jguitarslim

Can somebody run through the different models/options of Perplex'd ? Thanks...

My understanding is there is only one standard model Perplex’d at present though it has undergone some changes/revisions. Glen may be able to do some changes. Think someone was having diff clean channel voicing (maybe JTM???).

Three channels (clean, Rythym, lead). The two OD channels have three way bright switch now to help balance them. In late 2017 he added bright switch to the clean channel.

Kinda opp of what you typically see with amps, on the Perplex'd ...
Master 2 and Gain 2 ARE the Rhythm channel.
Master 1 and Gain 1 ARE the Lead channel

Footswitch functions as you'd expect:
Left LED toggles between Clean and Master 2 (Rhythm)
Right LED over-rides which ever is on left and brings in Master 1
channel(Lead)

Believe someone had stated he recently got rid of Two way Texture switch on front - Per Glen, the Texture thing IS a subtle thing and will show up more on some guitars and cabs more than others. It takes out a bit of lower mids congestion if you have a slightly mucky sounding guitar. It ONLY affects that narrow band of frequencies so you have to listen.
FWIW…with my setup, I could not hear discernible difference with this switch.

Hope this helps...

tritone 6

I’ve seen the Perplex’d jr 15 and 30 as well. I think they are single channel versions and may be custom order as I don’t see them listed on his site.

DSabe

The Perplex'd is on my shortlist of considerations right now. I'm looking for a Marshall type to go with my Mesa. I started looking and playing, and decided that something like a 1959 or 1987 was what I was looking for. I have been checking out 1987 clones, but now I am thinking that something like the Perplex'd might be better.

I'm really looking for the vintage superlead sound, in a smaller wattage, and have played quite a few clones and knock offs. I currently have a high gain modern sounding amp in my Mesa.

Everything from an actual 1987x to a redplate magica and a 3rd Power Dream Weaver.

Originally, as stated, I thought a 1987 clone plus attenuator, but this thread has altered my thinking a bit.

I only have one cab at the moment, a 2x12 with 2 v30s.

Really glad I saw this thread, as I had never heard of Morris to this point, even after looking for plexi amps for over a year.

troublehead

I’ll chime in here. In the past I’ve owned the Grinder and Perplex’d (early single channel version). I currently own the GCM008 and took delivery of a Perplex’d Jr 15 a few days ago. I literally have not put my guitar down since the Jr 15 arrived. Fantastic cleans with my strat up to saturated 80’s metal using other guitars and a slight boost with an SD-1.

Glen is a fantastic guy and his amps are unbelievable. He upgraded my GCM800 at his cost for parts and got it back to me in no time. From what I understand, my GCM008 is pretty close to the current Perplex’d (correct me if I’m wrong Glen). But I like it much better than my original Perplex’d. It’s more focused and not as wild/raw.

The 008 and Jr 15 are extremely sensitive to tube changes, pickups, and guitar type/wood. Even at the highest gain settings and boosted.....my strat still sounds like a strat, my tele still twangs, a PAF sounds like a PAF, and my Jackson with a JB screams hair metal.

Both amps sounds great through all 5 of my cabs with speakers ranging from various Greenbacks, Creambacks, G12-65’s, and old G12T-75’s.

Glen loads all his amps with JJ tubes; both preamp and power. Regardless of the model, I have always preferred replacing the V2 preamp tube with a Chinese or EH 12ax7. This allows me to leave the bright switches off (which sounds better to me) and get a bit more tightness and high mids. But what suits my ears may not suit yours.

I have owned numerous amps in the last 20 years and it’s a relief not to worry that I might be missing something with all the builders out there today.

Matteo11

I’ll chime in here. In the past I’ve owned the Grinder and Perplex’d (early single channel version). I currently own the GCM008 and took delivery of a Perplex’d Jr 15 a few days ago. I literally have not put my guitar down since the Jr 15 arrived. Fantastic cleans with my strat up to saturated 80’s metal using other guitars and a slight boost with an SD-1.

Glen is a fantastic guy and his amps are unbelievable. He upgraded my GCM800 at his cost for parts and got it back to me in no time. From what I understand, my GCM008 is pretty close to the current Perplex’d (correct me if I’m wrong Glen). But I like it much better than my original Perplex’d. It’s more focused and not as wild/raw.

The 008 and Jr 15 are extremely sensitive to tube changes, pickups, and guitar type/wood. Even at the highest gain settings and boosted.....my strat still sounds like a strat, my tele still twangs, a PAF sounds like a PAF, and my Jackson with a JB screams hair metal.

Both amps sounds great through all 5 of my cabs with speakers ranging from various Greenbacks, Creambacks, G12-65’s, and old G12T-75’s.

Glen loads all his amps with JJ tubes; both preamp and power. Regardless of the model, I have always preferred replacing the V2 preamp tube with a Chinese or EH 12ax7. This allows me to leave the bright switches off (which sounds better to me) and get a bit more tightness and high mids. But what suits my ears may not suit yours.

I have owned numerous amps in the last 20 years and it’s a relief not to worry that I might be missing something with all the builders out there today.

How are the cleans when using the Humbuckers on the JR 15? I'm starting to consider the JR 15 over the 3 channel 45 watt since it will only be used as a home amp but I am a humbucker cat 95% of the time and need my cleans to remain clean if you know what I mean?

troublehead

How are the cleans when using the Humbuckers on the JR 15? I'm starting to consider the JR 15 over the 3 channel 45 watt since it will only be used as a home amp but I am a humbucker cat 95% of the time and need my cleans to remain clean if you know what I mean?

With gain switch in position “1” with the gain low.......it will be clean as you want. Of course you’ll get some break up if you push the Master too far. But all his amps respond fantastic to rolling off the guitar volume.

Matteo11

With gain switch in position “1” with the gain low.......it will be clean as you want. Of course you’ll get some break up if you push the Master too far. But all his amps respond fantastic to rolling off the guitar volume.

One of the things that has been mentioned on here with the 3 channel Perplex'd is how big and massive it sound in the room. What's your take on that (since you have owned both) compared to the JR?

troublehead

One of the things that has been mentioned on here with the 3 channel Perplex'd is how big and massive it sound in the room. What's your take on that (since you have owned both) compared to the JR?

Well I like the GCM008 better than the Perplex’d I had. But mine was a very early model. Not really a prototype, but I specified I wanted a single channel. So there were a lot of differences between mine and the current 3 channel.

But my 008 and Jr 15 both sound huge. The Jr 15 uses the same size transformer that is in my 008......so no cutting corners there.

Compared to other “M” style amps I have owned (JVM, 2204, Splawn, 5153, etc), the Morris amps definitely sound bigger and carry more weight at all volumes. I forgot to mention that I have never heard a better MV. They sound the same at all volumes and have a nice gradual taper. My old Perplex’d was a little thin and raspy at practice volumes.....but not my 008 and Jr 15.

Crash-VR

Silver Supporting Member
So I have been talking back and forth with Glen regarding his MV on his amps and he explained the secret is in his Presence control. Here is Glen demonstrating how F'n amazing it works with the Perplex'd 45 .......I was impressed.

Aha! That does work amazingly well. Thanks!

erikm5150

Nearly the same boat. Had the Be100, Metro-Plex, MCII, Goldfinger 90, Helios, Triptik 2, and Landry. The Morris is still here.
@bbaug14 I also saw your posts about the colby mod machine. that was on my short list before ordering the morris. how would you compare them in for M style rock tones?

bbaug14

Silver Supporting Member
Colby does more traditional Plexi to 800 tones. Not spot on, but close enough. Really nice amp. It's a shame it's not a channel switcher.

The Morris will do the Plexi stuff and can approximately do the 800 stuff. It shines more on the Plexi and goosed Plexi stuff though. Plus the modded M tones with more gain.

The Morris is infinitely more versatile. Unless you want a single channel amp that you can dial in just so, it's really not comparable.

Uli Jon Blackmore

Silver Supporting Member
Colby does more traditional Plexi to 800 tones. Not spot on, but close enough. Really nice amp. It's a shame it's not a channel switcher.

The Morris will do the Plexi stuff and can approximately do the 800 stuff. It shines more on the Plexi and goosed Plexi stuff though. Plus the modded M tones with more gain.

The Morris is infinitely more versatile. Unless you want a single channel amp that you can dial in just so, it's really not comparable.

@bbaug14

I would love a bit more on this subject. I am saving for a Perplex'd but I really only need a single channel amp as I have cleans and high gain covered by other amps. Between the Morris and the Colby, which is more open and dynamic on Plexi and Moded Plexi tones? My main point of interest is a Plexi tone that is super raw and open without any congestion. I have other amps that I love but none are perfect at that. The ability to select between different Plexi configurations is really appealing as well.

Thanks in advance

bbaug14

Silver Supporting Member
The Colby is more or less a Plexi circuit that switches in a gain stage for the 800 thing. It's not spot on in component values to any particular year or spec Plexi, but it's the same circuit topology. With that, it's gonna sound and respond very similar to a Plexi amp, good or bad, with two masters pre and post PI.

The Morris sounds like a fantastic Plexi that's being driven. It has a huge sound and the dynamics are incredible. It also has way more gain on tap without being compressed. Also, with the bright switches, it can get really nasty if you want it too, or you can use the tube rectifier to add some warmth and sag.

If it were me, I'd talk to Glen about doing a single channel amp that does what you want. He could easily do that and you'd get exactly what you are looking for rather than a bunch of features you don't need.

I'm a set it and forget it sort of player. I sold off my Plexi and Plexi inspired amps one by one after getting the Morris. I don't have a use for them when the Morris does what I want and had two other fantastic channels.

Uli Jon Blackmore

Silver Supporting Member
The Colby is more or less a Plexi circuit that switches in a gain stage for the 800 thing. It's not spot on in component values to any particular year or spec Plexi, but it's the same circuit topology. With that, it's gonna sound and respond very similar to a Plexi amp, good or bad, with two masters pre and post PI.

The Morris sounds like a fantastic Plexi that's being driven. It has a huge sound and the dynamics are incredible. It also has way more gain on tap without being compressed. Also, with the bright switches, it can get really nasty if you want it too, or you can use the tube rectifier to add some warmth and sag.

If it were me, I'd talk to Glen about doing a single channel amp that does what you want. He could easily do that and you'd get exactly what you are looking for rather than a bunch of features you don't need.

I'm a set it and forget it sort of player. I sold off my Plexi and Plexi inspired amps one by one after getting the Morris. I don't have a use for them when the Morris does what I want and had two other fantastic channels.

Thanks for that. However, when I look at the Morris site, it states that the amp is solid state rectified. Did you have this as an option or is that an earlier version. Finally, just to nail it down, the Perplex'd is as, or more open, raw, and uncompressed as the Colby?

Uli Jon Blackmore

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks for that. However, when I look at the Morris site, it states that the amp is solid state rectified. Did you have this as an option or is that an earlier version. Finally, just to nail it down, the Perplex'd is as, or more open, raw, and uncompressed as the Colby?

I just looked at the Facebook page and see that the current Perplex'd does have the ability to switch between the two.

bbaug14

Silver Supporting Member
Glen's website is out of date. For full specs, I believe there is a post earlier in the thread that calls them out, or you could contact Glenn too as he's super approachable and responds to email timely.

I'll say it's more open/raw than a traditional Plexi. If memory serves, this applies to the Colby as well, though it's been awhile since I had the Mod Machine. The Morris is like a hot Plexi that's super dynamic.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom