NAD: My JCM 800 GAS cured

FF71

Silver Supporting Member
For now! ;) Also my first Marshall amp.

I know it's a SS amp, but man it's freakin' great! And for the price it can't be beat!

I've actually compared it to real a JCM800 combo and I would say it's 95 percent close! I actually prefer this one than the JCM 800 4010 on lower volumes.

Great sounding cleans, nice reverb, etc..I can possibly ditch my pedalboard for now! And did I say it's so portable? From your bedroom, to jams and the stage.

Marshall 5210

1x12, 50 watts, effects loop, reverb 2 channels (switchable)

Last edited:

Tread

KooL !
I had the 75w version for a couple of months in 1985 when they first appeared.
Worked and sounded fine.

kcook301

Aren't these the amps where you can do the C13 mod? I had one of these for a hot second and did the mod myself and it sounded so much better.

kcook301

What's a C13 mod?
WHOOPS. That's for the Marshall 3203/4203. The controls look the exact same on your amp. But on those amps, if you clip one leg of the C13 cap, you shave off the insane amount of brightness. Like, the amount of high end is unbearable, so it's almost necessary. It really rounds it out and sounds way better.

FF71

Silver Supporting Member
WHOOPS. That's for the Marshall 3203/4203. The controls look the exact same on your amp. But on those amps, if you clip one leg of the C13 cap, you shave off the insane amount of brightness. Like, the amount of high end is unbearable, so it's almost necessary. It really rounds it out and sounds way better.
Yup it looks identical to JCM800 4210.

Bentayuk

Congrats! I always wanted to try the Mosfet Lead 100 Marshall head, they're super cheap and apparently an SS brother to the '85 JCM 800.
Next time I come across one, it's mine!

Last edited:

FF71

Silver Supporting Member
Congrats! I always wanted to try the Mosfet Lead 100 Marshall head, they're super cheap and apparently an SS brother to the '85 JCM 800.
Next time I come across one, it's mine!
Thanks.

I wished that this amp was my first amp when I was first starting out.. :(

Gridlock

Congrats Fuzz,

That amp looks almost mint. These JCM800 era Marshall SS amps sound really close to the same era tube Marshall amps. I bought a Marshall Reverb-12 (similar era to your amp and a 10" speaker). It was a great sounding amp at bedroom and higher volumes. I gave amp to my brother in a recent amp downsizing exercise since a already had some low wattage amps that I really like also. I still would like to find one like yours at a good price but this time with a 12" speaker.

Congrats and enjoy that Marshall.

Last edited:

FF71

Silver Supporting Member
Congrats Fuzz,

That amp looks almost mint. These JCM800 era Marshall SS amps sound really close to the same era tube Marshall amps. I bought a Marshall Reverb-12 (similar era to your amp and a 10" speaker). It was a great sounding amp at bedroom and higher volumes. I gave amp to my brother in a recent amp downsizing exercise since a already had some low wattage amps that I really like also. I still would like to find one like yours at a good price but this time with a 12" speaker.

Congrats and enjoy that Marshall.

Thanks! Yeah, it's great practice/home amp for sure..from clean to plexi to gainy..just plug in and play..no pedalboard needed.

Bentayuk

Thanks.

I wished that this amp was my first amp when I was first starting out.. :(
Haha, I had a similar thing a few years back. When I started out, I was spending money on a crap Peavey Supreme head and Line 6 POD preamp, when there was this Randall RH in a local pawnshop that I basically ignored.
Then I played one a few years back and it was 10 times better than any of my first few amps. Kept it ever since.

WhoJamFan

I had a Marshall Mosfet 100 in the 90s and it was a pretty good amp. What sold me on it was the cleans, very nice 60s sounding with it's own British tonality going on.
The drive sounded great alone, at home, but tended to get shrill at high volumes. It sat pretty well in a live mix, surprisingly enough, and could probably benefit from a touch of eq or tube pre in the loop to smooth that high end out just a hair.
I'd actually like to have another one if the right deal comes by.

Trending Topics