NAD: Naylor Duel 38

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by ed5150, Feb 14, 2012.

1. ed5150

ed5150 Member

Ok...was looking for a SD60 or Duel 60 head, but found this leather covered Duel 38 Combo on Craigslist with road case. Anyways, I had a Duel 60 and always felt that was a sweet amp. Well, this is just as sweet, but with a little less low end.

Very nice overdrive side that is really complex without being buzzy or annoying. The clean is not Fendery, but very usable and has its own vibe. Sounds great by itself, but really sounds good through my Dr. Z cab. Two thumbs up!

[​IMG]

2. HD77

HD77 Member

Awesome amp. What speakers does the Z cab have?

3. ed5150

ed5150 Member

V30 and GH30 in the Z...sounds phenomenal!

4. CraigSuperLead

CraigSuperLead Silver Supporting Member

Congrats on the naylor! That is a great amp.

5. HD77

HD77 Member

How do the speakers in the cab sound different from the stock naylor speakers?

6. illini

illini Member

I have a Super Club 38 combo that I will also run through my 412 cab loaded with V-30 and H30's. The Naylor speakers in the open back combo make the amp sound distinctly different than the same amp through the 412 cab. The construction of the Naylor cabinet is as much part of the sound as the speakers. I have put a V-30 in the Naylor combo for comparison, and prefered the Naylor speaker. They sounded surprisingly similar, but the Naylor speaker had more clarity and articulation. However, I actually prefer the Naylor with the closed back 412 cab for rock and roll.
    Many guitarist spend lots of time swapping out tubes and amplifiers, when speakers and cabinets can make a huge difference in the way an amp sounds.

7. ed5150

ed5150 Member

Agreed on the speaker making a huge difference. The Naylors seem a little more mid focused in the 2x open back, but not obnoxious. Pretty well balanced. Of course, there is a little less bottom end.