• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

NAD (on the way) Blackstar ID Core 10

AD1982

I've played thru one enough to report on it. This is easily the best sounding $100 (got mine for $80) practice amp out there. Not super loud but gives you that amp about to explode tone at a reasonable volume. The clean bright and crunch settings are killer for blues. The OD1 and 2 do a ton of thick and heavy sounds.

AD1982

At the house... jammin' thru it tonight... Not that TGP cares about a cheap practice amp.

fretless

Silver Supporting Member
I think these are GREAT sounding practice amps. I don't have a need for one but I'm still really tempted.

slugworth

I think the ID Core series tarnishes the name of the ID TVP amps. I love my ID60, but I thought the ID Core 20 I tried was garbage.

AD1982

I think the ID Core series tarnishes the name of the ID TVP amps. I love my ID60, but I thought the ID Core 20 I tried was garbage.
Tarnish, eh? I certainly doesn't do metal/hard rock as well. But I'm not a metal/hard rock player.

slugworth

I play at all levels of the gain spectrum. For me there was very little I thought it did well. I mistakenly thought they were aiming to compete with the Yamaha THR series, but in reality I guess they were aiming to supersede those $40 practice amps that get thrown in with starter guitars.

RafterRattler

There are a few threads on them here. I had both the 10 and the 40. I thought the 40 was better, but there was no mistaking the fact that they are cheaply put together. The AC adapter specs on my 10 didn't even match the amp input specs. The front grill came off easily - exposing the cheap construction. That said, I think they sounded pretty ok as long as you just want a practice amp that can do a few sounds. All the drive settings sounded the same to me, with just diff levels of gain. The wide stereo field was pretty nice. That said, I'd probably go with the THR if I did it again...

Fireheart7

I just returned my ID Core 10. To me, the effects sounded really nice, but the note dynamics would not come through. Like it was over compressed. Ishut off the noise gate with the software to no avail. It sounded great, but did not feel good. Like the notes would not sustain quite right. I could not stand that feel, even if it cost under 100 bucks. If the ID TVP series is better and feels better, I would give their 15 watt version a shot as a practice amp.

Fireheart7

I play at all levels of the gain spectrum. For me there was very little I thought it did well. I mistakenly thought they were aiming to compete with the Yamaha THR series, but in reality I guess they were aiming to supersede those $40 practice amps that get thrown in with starter guitars.
Hi, I just posted my experience below, did not like the core tone and dynamics of the core 10. Have you tried the TVP line, is the 15 watt a good choice? Thanks!

slugworth

Hi, I just posted my experience below, did not like the core tone and dynamics of the core 10. Have you tried the TVP line, is the 15 watt a good choice? Thanks!
I have owned an ID60 for what, 2 years now? It is rare for me to keep an amp this long, but for me it's a keeper and that is saying a LOT.

I haven't played the ID15 personally but all of the TVP amps are a different beast than the IDCore garbage. Try one.

big jilm

I got an ID Core 10 a week ago for my classroom amp (I leave an old Strat and an amp at school to play for my students sometimes).
I'm not sure if it's a keeper or not, but it was between this and a Fender Mustang I or the little Peavey Vipyr... I like this one for my situation a lot better than both of those.

I am on the fence - I love the reverb and delays - they are a ton of fun. The clean tone is reasonably nice, too. The gain is rough - but, when I plug in my iphone to play along with some Pink Floyd tracks, it sounds pretty cool - AFTER I tweaked the amp using the Blackstar Insider software (raised the bass, lowered the treble among other things). I REALLY wish it had external EQ knobs - the thing they have on there for an EQ just moves it from brittle and tinny to kind of muddy. You have to use the software to get to the EQ.

It is VERY directional. Straight on, it is a strident little thing. Off axis, much better.

I am thinking of taking it back and adding 200 bucks to get a Yamaha THR 10 - this is a better amp, for sure, but for 3x the price it should be!

For 100 bucks it's a neat little toy. I may keep it - we'll see.

slugworth

You can get a new THR10 for about $200. There's an eBay seller who advertises them as used, but they are actually new. They are listed at $224 or best offer. Offer them 190 or so. They might accept, or more likely will counter you right around $200.

Well worth it IMO.

CubanB

I got an ID Core 10 a week ago for my classroom amp (I leave an old Strat and an amp at school to play for my students sometimes).
I'm not sure if it's a keeper or not, but it was between this and a Fender Mustang I or the little Peavey Vipyr... I like this one for my situation a lot better than both of those.

I am on the fence - I love the reverb and delays - they are a ton of fun. The clean tone is reasonably nice, too. The gain is rough - but, when I plug in my iphone to play along with some Pink Floyd tracks, it sounds pretty cool - AFTER I tweaked the amp using the Blackstar Insider software (raised the bass, lowered the treble among other things). I REALLY wish it had external EQ knobs - the thing they have on there for an EQ just moves it from brittle and tinny to kind of muddy. You have to use the software to get to the EQ.

It is VERY directional. Straight on, it is a strident little thing. Off axis, much better.

I am thinking of taking it back and adding 200 bucks to get a Yamaha THR 10 - this is a better amp, for sure, but for 3x the price it should be!

For 100 bucks it's a neat little toy. I may keep it - we'll see.
Yeah I hate amps that only have one EQ knob. At least it's got the software I guess.

My brother has one, but haven't had a chance to play it yet. I have a Vypyr 15 (the older one) as my practice/non tube lower volume option and think it's great.

I had a Yamaha THR and sold it. I'd like to try the ID Core 10 to get a frame of reference.

I wanted to like the THR but certain things about it bugged me especially on the modern/higher gain side of things. Just goes to show, that everyone has different preferences. I think there are certain things it does really well but overall didn't suit my needs.

Mandrax

I have an ID:15 TVP. They are a surprisingly good amp. The amp itself can get some decent enough tones, depending on your play style, but once you plug it into your PC and run the Blackstar Insider program, you can tweak things more, share presets with the community etc. It's not a great program in general, but it does make editing and saving presets easier.

The amp is more than loud enough for home use. With the TVP button pushed in this thing can even be a bit too much for the neighbours so beware. There are a few things I'm not keen on however. There is no clean/clean channel, you either have clean warm or clean bright. No 'Middle' knob. You've got treble and bass, but no mid, you have to fiddle with the ISF to fine tune things.

big jilm

I returned the ID Core 10 today and dropped some extra cash and got the Yamaha THR10. MUCH better tones, much better feel. This is an amazing little box - and it should be better, as it cost 3x what the Blackstar did.

Fireheart7

I have an ID:15 TVP. They are a surprisingly good amp. The amp itself can get some decent enough tones, depending on your play style, but once you plug it into your PC and run the Blackstar Insider program, you can tweak things more, share presets with the community etc. It's not a great program in general, but it does make editing and saving presets easier.

The amp is more than loud enough for home use. With the TVP button pushed in this thing can even be a bit too much for the neighbours so beware. There are a few things I'm not keen on however. There is no clean/clean channel, you either have clean warm or clean bright. No 'Middle' knob. You've got treble and bass, but no mid, you have to fiddle with the ISF to fine tune things.
Thanks for the info! I definitely did not need something too loud, lol.
I ended up getting a micro cube GX from Roland. It was not my first choice but after trying all practice amps at the store, I liked how i responded to my playing and the build quality seemed better within its class.

aruark1

I ended up getting a micro cube GX from Roland. It was not my first choice but after trying all practice amps at the store, I liked how i responded to my playing and the build quality seemed better within its class.
Micro cubes are killer. Absolute tanks.

Mandrax

You're welcome, glad you found something that fits the bill. :)