NAD Peavey 6505 + 112

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by otter5555, Mar 11, 2015.

1. otter5555

otter5555 Member

50+ years gigging, owned it all 2,3 4 times :)

anyhow,

went through two new marshall dsl40c's in 3 weeks. both quit so I'm not goin' that route again. wasn't totally in love with the tones anyway.

after listening to almost every 6505 video on the net i thought i heard something other than metal in the amp. i was pretty sure I heard some classic rock, 80's hair band and saturated lead tones so I ordered one.

UPS delivered it at 10am today.

Even with a new speaker and oem tubes I am impressed. I knew the clean was not a strong point but I seldom ever play clean.

I live in crunch land and saturated leadtones.

2 minutes of knob twisting and the green channel crunch is to die for.
    2 more minutes and the red channel gives me my saturated 80's lead tone.

I never use reverb so I can't tell you what the onboard reverb sounds like. I put my Zoom ms50g in the loop for delays only and it sounds just fine.

I play 80's hairband and satch/via instrumentals and this 6505 delivers. The clean is ok for clean intros typical of the 80's, but just barely ok to my ears. I need to try it with a single coil strat later today and see what it sounds like.

Don't know how well it takes od pedals 'cause I have no need for them with this amp.

I've played it with volume on 1.5 and it does good at bedroom levels.

If you turn it up for louder practice (2-3) it gets brighter and I take 1-2 off the treble.

All in all I could not be happier.

I LOVE the tight bass and I don't have any shrillness or fizz on the top end.

It's a pretty neutral amp that I believe can be dialed in to a wide range of ears as long as you're not looking for fendery cleans.

I'm gonna rest my ears for 2 hrs and go practice my set again.

2. FPFL

FPFL Member

Nice. Which 6505 did you go with? The stock or the +?
    The 6534 looked really interesting too.

3. otter5555

otter5555 Member

i got the 6505 + 112
    so far, so good :)

4. Damian The Man

Damian The Man Member

I feel you bro!
    Don't be shy and show it! :p

5. gtrlw

gtrlw Gold Supporting Member

Cool. What Vai/Satch do you play and where? I would love to see someone cover that around here.

6. Artjr

Artjr Member

Perfect amp for 80s. Also great at bedroom levels. Who needs a clean channel and reverb anyway.

7. Russ73

Russ73 Member

I played one a few times at GC and I really liked it..I'm holding out for the 20 watt mini head....liked it waaaay better than the DSL 40c

8. LPVM

LPVM Member

I repaired a non-working 6505+ head for a buddy that bought it cheap for flipping. I had so much fun playing through it during the post repair test drive I ended up tradings a pair of small vintage combo's for it. It's been getting steady use with a V30 loaded 212 cab since.

9. Willicat

Willicat Member

That amp is built for an overdrive pedal.
    Take a TS-9 set the level at max, drive at min, tone at 11 O'clock and you have a super tight amp.

Like you I use it for hard rock tones as well, very diverse amp best of luck with it.

10. otter5555

otter5555 Member

well, it's been over a week of steady playing and i still love this amp:)

pure 80's hairband heaven :)

i even got the clean channel to be serviceable for intros (80's style)

got a brand new $299 bugera 6262 212 inbound. should be here tomorrow. everyone says it's a clone of the 6505+ so we'll see side by side

11. jds22

jds22 Member

Congrats on the 6505.

I messed around with a 6262 in a shop a few years ago. I think you'll be pleased.