• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

NAD! Probably the coolest looking Fender I've seen! **NOW EVEN NEWER WITH CLIPS**

kracdown

Custom User Title
Platinum Supporting Member
Well, I took the plunge on a Fender Princeton Reverb Reissue. I didn't want to get a reissue, I really wanted an original, but the memorial sales got the best of me and I figured I'd probably just try the thing and return it. Well, I was wrong because this thing is awesome! Such lushes cleans! I cannot believe these things don't fly off the shelves. Way better than most of the boutique stuff and vintage stuff I've tried. It compliments my Blackface Twin Reverb really well, and is so much smaller. Anyway, I plan on putting some NOS glass in it, and that's it! It's so sweet! Any recommendations on NOS glass ;)?

Goes with my gold thing too. Just put in an order for a gold Danocaster as well...

Last edited:

crazyneddie

Wow that showed up quick. I like it. How's it sound turned up with the gold? Come on man don't hold out on us!

kracdown

Custom User Title
Wow that showed up quick. I like it. How's it sound turned up with the gold? Come on man don't hold out on us!
It sounds really nice. I've heard a lot of people complain about the overdrive that happens with the amp. It's a really great vintage cranked blackface sound. Think Jack White / modern alt blues kind of sound. The cleans are really full as well. I've been playing it pretty cranked with my EP booster and I am extremely impressed.

I just kind of wish it broke up a little later, but I have to wait till I gig it.

RussB

low rent hobbyist
Is the circuit just like the BF amps? If so, look into the "Stokes Mod" for a little extra headroom

Dawg76

Silver Supporting Member
Congrats.

The reverb driver tube was the first to go in my bought-new '76 silverface princeton reverb. [Needless to say the RCA lasted a very long time.] Mike at KCA recommended a NOS Mullard CV4024 (12AT7). Worthwhile IMHO.

http://www.kcanostubes.com/content/nos-mullard-cv4024-12at7

Re-tubing a 7-tube amp w/ all NOS can get expensive. For my SFPR, I went with (new production) Tung Sol Reissue 6V6s and 12AX7s. Sounds great to me. Also, I can't imagine it's worthwhile changing out the stock rectifier tube.

TheoDog

Silver Supporting Member
I can't wait for the first gig report! I assume it will be at a Roller rink.

Great score! The fender tube RIs are some of the best off-the- shelf quality IMHO.

crazyneddie

Imagine how great that's going to sound when that gold is nice and broken in. Btw when is it breaking up on the dial, around 5? What kind of guitar/pickups?

kracdown

Custom User Title
Congrats.

The reverb driver tube was the first to go in my bought-new '76 silverface princeton reverb. [Needless to say the RCA lasted a very long time.] Mike at KCA recommended a NOS Mullard CV4024 (12AT7). Worthwhile IMHO.

http://www.kcanostubes.com/content/nos-mullard-cv4024-12at7

Re-tubing a 7-tube amp w/ all NOS can get expensive. For my SFPR, I went with (new production) Tung Sol Reissue 6V6s and 12AX7s. Sounds great to me. Also, I can't imagine it's worthwhile changing out the stock rectifier tube.
Yeah I think I'll go with some new power tubes, since the NOS tubes should last me a pretty long time. Thanks for the info though. I have no idea about tubes and I'd love to be able to instal them myself. Would I need to rebias anything if I put in new tubes?

Great score! The fender tube RIs are some of the best off-the- shelf quality IMHO.
This amp is truly awesome. Sounds just as good as my blackface Twin Reverb and my Reeves when clean. Just a different flavor. Any no, the first gig is at Catalina Jazz Club ;).

Imagine how great that's going to sound when that gold is nice and broken in. Btw when is it breaking up on the dial, around 5? What kind of guitar/pickups?
I think once I get new tubes and the speaker is really broken it it will sound awesome. It starts to break up around five, though it sounds great around 3 or 4 with my Timmy. Way more low end than I expected. I've mainly played through my Gibson Custom R7 with a Wolfetone Dr. V/Marshallhead A2 set (PAF type). But I've also used my R4 and ES-195 tonight. Probably have put like 5 hours on it today!

kracdown

Custom User Title
Okay I need some help with tubes. Here's what I am thinking:

Tung Sol Reissue 6V6GT (matched pair)

NOS Mullard 12AT7 (balanced triodes)

3 ANOS (lightly used) GE 12AX7 Long Plates (balanced triodes)

Then I think I am going to leave the stock rectifier tube. If I order these will I need to take my amp in to be rebiased? Is this a good selection of tubes for a classic Princeton Reverb sound?

Tuberattler

Oh how the ugly head of jealousy rears itself above the crowd... you know you'd be all over that Roller rink gig as it's got the mirror balls and all the kiddies...

BTW I love the look of that amp... do they have Red sparkle to go with MY RED METAL FLAKE Strat??

Trending Topics

Top Bottom