NAD: Rect-o-verb 25

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by 3dognate, Apr 29, 2016.

1. 3dognate

3dognate Supporting Member

Technically yesterday was NAD but it arrived as I was about to leave for a gig last night. I picked up this rather minty Mesa-Boogie Rect-o-verb 25 from fellow TGP'er kselbee. This amp is a toneful little beast... Clean to mean and lots in between.

[​IMG]

2. louis

louis Supporting Member

Congrats !!!.......This is an awesome amp for the size , very impressive and chewy !!

buddaman71 and 3dognate like this.
  3. dave-o

dave-o Member

Great amp, love mine!

4. gearscrubs

gearscrubs Supporting Member

Happy NAD! Love my ROV 25 head.

5. lowpaygigs

lowpaygigs Member

Fabulous amp in so many ways. Take your time and investigate the four different voices and also how they react at different wattage levels. They all have a lot of tone and color. The reverb and FX loop is great. I love Mesa amps generally, but this one is my favorite, as it is a straight-forward layout, which works better for me.

FYI, in my experience, the volume steadily increases from clean to modern. If I were to play a gig with the clean and modern, I'd run a boost in the FX loop to have the clean volume match the modern.

6. 3dognate

I'll for sure pay attention... I do not ever under any circumstances dial up a squeaky clean tone... i like my clean to have a fair bit of grit in it... damn near an AC/DC tone. That way I can go from clean to crunchy or bluesy depending on volume control or pickup selection.. The fact that I can hit clean/pushed channel to be pretty dirty was actually the big selling point to me on this amp... of the other 2 channel combos I was looking at the clean channels were just clean clean clean and boring... I don't need a pedal platform amp.

Phletch and lowpaygigs like this.
  7. BBBJay

BBBJay Member

8. Phletch

Phletch Member

If you get the chance, try this. Switch it on 25W, "clean" setting, dime the gain, master about 3 o'clock. Play some stuff, roll your guitar volume, and get back to me. ;)

I'm a Mini Rec guy, and that is one of my favorite settings for just about anything, really. You can get the same vibe on "pushed" at less extreme settings, but "pushed" is just a bit too compressed for me; clean is much more open and will probably give you better AC/DC. You can get a similar thing going - clean to mean with just guitar volume - on "vintage" with gain around 9 o'clock and volume around 2-3 o'clock.

Congrats!

9. snow and steel

snow and steel Supporting Member

My Mesa Mini rectifier [the non-reverb version of your amp] is the most versatile amp I've ever owned.

Getting to know how the active controls on a mesa can be intimidating, frustrating and heartwrenching at first, if you're not hip to how they work. It took me several weeks to REALLY get a handle on it, but once I did its amazing to me how I can now call up Fender, Marshall, orange, hi-watt and more tones... all just y kowing how to work the knobs.

from a previous post;

about EQ, gain, and dialing in...

In the manual it says "as the gain goes up bass must come down" and that's no joke. The "Modern" is higher gain than the "vintage", and you really need to dial with your ears not your eyes - I literally might have the bass knob at 9 o'clock, while the mids are at 1 o'clock, the treble is at 1-2 o'clock, and the presence at 11 o'clock. In 90% of the cases though I greatly prefer the "Vintage" channel - there I might keep the numbers above the same, but turn the bass up to 11 o'clock [at the most]. The gain knob on either channel I find almost obnoxious past 2 o'clock - beyond that things are so saturated that there is basically no tone at all, just preamp.

Mesa's have always been accused of being "flubby" in the bass dept., but the problem is that most people don't realize that the mesa has active AND interactive tone controls. So they set it up like their favorite Marshall settings and say "this is terrible".

Remember the EQ is interactive on these amps so wild EQ settings don't do what you'd think. Also, the EQ doesn't really control what would be obvious. For example;

Bass is actually LOW bass
    Mids are actually low-mids
    treble is actually high mids
    presence is actually treble

increasing gain will increase treble and bass
    increasing treble increases gain, and decreases bass
    Adding mids, decreases treble, a little bass and a touch of gain
    Gain, Mids and treble are the most active pots, bass and presence are the least

Hope that helps!~

djw and lowpaygigs like this.
  10. kselbee

kselbee Supporting Member

11. gishlullmoon

gishlullmoon Member

don't get too cocky with the settings/knobs now, the first day i had it i cranked the gain and i think the rectifier tubes have blown......i think there is a total difference in tone i but i don't know for sure because i only had it for 30 seconds..... i emailed mesa and they say its the rec tubes i ordered new ones and they should be here any time..... hopefully it is the rectifier tubes.......they don't appear to be glowing.... mine is just the mini rec not the reverb one..... but even with the tubes blown it sounds decent lol

12. Dorman

Dorman Member

I've been using the ROV25 for over a year now. I find it easy (easier) to dial in for my fender guitars, but I struggle with my les Paul. I find there's something in the mids that doesn't agree and the LP Muddies up the combo up quickly (I think the cabinet is middy in itself). Would love to see a thread of sample settings - when I nail it it's a beautiful thing, when it's 'off' it's frustrating and makes me think about a pedal platform!

PS. Happy NAD

Last edited: May 5, 2016
  13. la noise

la noise Member

Joy To The World!! :aok

14. lowpaygigs

lowpaygigs Member

You need to push the presence and roll back the bass and mid. Depending on your gain level, a tube screamer used as a boost and mid hump will help.

15. ledzep618

ledzep618 Supporting Member

I'm interested in this - what are the cleans like? Can cleans on 25 watts keep up with a medium handed drummer and still stay clean with humbuckers?

16. 3dognate

I took it to rehearsal a couple of days ago... I have to say I was worried about it's available headroom on the clean channel.. no problem at all... I could keep the clean channel pretty well clean with humbuckers (JB/Jazz) and still get over my drummer... (amp on a stand tilted back. not firing at my ankles.)

Yeah that's nice.. pretty damn loud too... pissed my band mates off.. it was for sure coping that 18Watt Marshall vibe at that point.

It's not as tight as the head is with a closed back cabinet but for an open back cabinet I'm pretty impressed... I'm a long time Vintage 30 guy which the Fillmore reminds me of a lot I prefer a strong midrange.

Phletch likes this.
  17. Phletch

Phletch Member

:facepalm You have no idea what you're talking about. The Mini Rec nor the ROV 25 are tube rectified; they're SS rectified. If you're getting any kind of sound and you think it's still decent, I don't know which tubes you think you've blown. Your amp may have a defect, but there is no issue with cranking a normally working one. I've been regularly cranking (read: volumes at 3 o'clock) my Mini Rec for almost 4 years now, still on the original power tubes, with no issues.

3dognate likes this.
  18. gishlullmoon

gishlullmoon Member

wait you are right they are not rectifier tubes i read it wrong from the email from mesa....... it is the power tubes i meant......... i meant the power tubes and yes i usually have no idea whwat im talking about i have a reputation ask around

19. ledzep618

ledzep618 Supporting Member

How much does this amp sound like an EL84 amp? I'm pretty over EL84s but Ive always heard that Mesa EL84 amps dont have that usual crushed glass jangle to them.

I'm between this and a Vintage Sound 22sc. Obviously two very different amps, but I just cant decide.

20. gishlullmoon

gishlullmoon Member

to me this amp still sounds pretty much like the triple rec 6l6 just weaker in my opinion but i only have my tryanor mark 3 with el-34s to go by and i use to own a triple rec until i go t the mini....my traynor is jangly , the mini rectifier has a hint of jang but nothing like the traynor mark 3.