NAD - Rivera M100-112

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by buddaman71, Jan 27, 2012.

1. buddaman71

buddaman71 Student of Life Silver Supporting Member

I just picked up a pristine, blonde Rivera M100-112 combo at a great price. It's really a fantastic amp, and YES, it's got alot of knobs and gizmos, but it's pretty simple to also just dial in a great clean tone and hit it with a pedal or 2. (I set up my Zoom G3 as a simple pedal board with a comp and 2 ODs and it's killer)

The key I've found to getting a great clean tone is to crank the Master vol and then just treat the Gain like the volume on a Fender amp.
    It's really nice looking and sounding, and it's also got some really fun hi-gain tones.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2012
  2. big mike

big mike Administrator Staff Member

I had an early M60 for awhile.
    very nice amps.

Esp. with the Ninja boost.

Still wish I'd have bought a Rake later on.
    Or the 100 watt single 15 version of your amp that Chris Duarte was rockin!

3. Frank Speak

Frank Speak Member

Congrats! I have a Fandango 1x12. It's a pretty easy amp to dial in, IMO.

4. whiteop

whiteop Senior Member

Have an M100 4 x 12 combo covered in black carpet style. Knob twisters dream. So many tones ...

5. QQQ

QQQ Member

Congrats. Really awesome amps that fly under the radar.

6. Joe Perry

Joe Perry Member

Congrats!! I'd still love to get my hands on a Duarte model.

7. ROKY

ROKY Member

A 4x12 combo !

I'd love to see a pic of that one. . it must weigh a ton .

8. buddaman71

Pretty sure he meant 410 combo. :)
    Bugs Henderson in Texas gigged with one of those for years.
    I'm hitting mine with a Zoom G3 just set up as a simple pedalboard with a comp, OD and lead distortion and it's pretty cool!

9. ROKY

ROKY Member

^^

Ahh, ok; a 4x10 combo . Got it .

There was that Fender Quad Reverb; once upon a time, so I figured Rivera might've
    done something like that .

Bugs Henderson's a killer player .. not mentioned enough !

10. buddaman71

Just took this into the studio. Experienced engineer, who is an EXCELLENT guitar player, immediately said, "WOW, that is an incredible sounding amp!"

Last edited: Jan 31, 2012
  11. buddaman71

Here's a silly little impulsive iPhone recording of this rig. I literally just sat my iPhone on the windowsill, picked up my ESP tele and played a bunch of stupid nonsense off the top of my head. No pedal in front, just the G3 in the loop for a little verb/delay. You can hear when I kick in the Rivera SlaveMaster boost (fatter and more midrangy)

[SOUNDCLOUD]http://soundcloud.com/buddaman71/rivera-m100-zoom-g3-esp-tele-w[/SOUNDCLOUD]

12. b2sc

b2sc Member

i had the M100 2x10 combo and it was a great, veratile amp. I ran an EQ pedal through the 'slavemaster' (WTF???) for a 3rd channel...

13. splatt

splatt david torn / splattercell Gold Supporting Member

having spent 10yrs playing an M100 head (modified by paul rivera) as my primary amp,
    i agree.....
    but, it's not just a "clean" tone that this works-for, ime.

i lived on the "clean" channel, to achieve nearly every kind of tone:
    with & without NinjaBoost, and --- occasionally --- w/the SlaveMaster.
    (in the end, i was playing it w/only 2 power tubes, but in the "full-power" setting.)
    i've since moved-on, for my own musical reasons, but i do still own that head:
    what a great amp it can be!

14. buddaman71

totally agreed!!! it's really a fantastic amplifier, and the range of tones on the cleaner channel alone vaporizes many of the $$$$$ "boutique" one-trick ponies out there.

I still primarily gig with my modeling/tube/cab hybrid rig, but i've come full circle, as a black carpet M60 was my first "real" amp back in the very early 90s, then I sold it for an S120 stereo head and 2 of the Thiele 112s (I was an idiot to ever sell that rig....)

I've been playing some large 15,000+ festivals lately, and running my mega (for me) rig on those large outdoor spaces. 4U rack with my GSP1101 and stereo tube power amp setting on my M100 (as a dry center channel, set to Keith Urban-esque semi-dirt that works well with clean or dirty tones) with my L/R 212s on each side. Pretty compact actually considering the massiveness of the tone. I'll try to grab a quick pic and clip at next big show near Tyler, TX in May.

15. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

This...
    It's an amazing amp. So much tone out of the 2nd channel - it does pretty much all from clean to great OD tones.
    I didn't find much use for the 1st channel (always hoped Rivera would put out a head w/ two of this "M-voiced" channel), but that 2nd channel (which is found in many of that era Riveras) is one of the greatest designs in the history of amp-ness.
    I still use the Rivera TAC112 cab that came w/ the M100 head - best 1x12 I've played.

16. dc_jcm800

dc_jcm800 Member

Always wanted one of these amps. I bet the GSP1101 would work great in the loop as well.