NAD:Rockitt Retro w Clips

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by LPMojoGL, Jan 25, 2015.

1. LPMojoGL

LPMojoGL Music Room Superstar Supporting Member

Just got #69 Rockitt Retro used. Recorded this at bedroom levels using a Gibson SG, BB#3, Crybaby Classic through a Celestion V30 (the best recording speaker ever)...

[SOUNDCLOUD]https://soundcloud.com/bmandrell/rockitt-sg-first[/SOUNDCLOUD]

With homemade drums after the fact:
    [SOUNDCLOUD]https://soundcloud.com/bmandrell/rockitt-sg-first-w-drums[/SOUNDCLOUD]

Can't wait to crank this sucker. Any speaker recommendations welcome, although I think a pair of greenbacks is the way to go. Maybe a Scumback m55 with the V30?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 25, 2015
    t.hendrix likes this.
  2. teveinsene

teveinsene Member

Nice crunchy rhythm, master volume on this one...sounds great.

3. LPMojoGL

Yep, master to get to bedroom volumes, no pedals needed for dirty sounds.

Where at in the Great Plains? Raised in Amarillo, here. Miss the open.

4. teveinsene

teveinsene Member

Southeast Nebraska, I gotta try one of these R Retros! They sound great and are dirt cheap compared to the competition.

5. LPMojoGL

Brrrrrr...

I can't say how it compares to the Germinos I've had just yet, since I haven't been able to crank it. By all accounts, it's on par. The build quality is the same, and the parts seem to be as well. So, safe to assume, for the price, someone is getting a great deal.

I talked with Kevin, the maker of Retro amps, before buying this amp used. That conversation pushed me over the edge to buying one. He's very enthusiastic about these amps. I expect great customer service as long as he is around, just like I would from Germino, after talking with both guys.

6. teveinsene

teveinsene Member

Actually not that cold lately the first half of January was frigid with lows below zero, and highs not reaching 20 many days and now the last week and half we have hit 60 several times and are expecting high 50's, low 60's the next three days...you never know what you will get in the winter here.

The only thing stopping me from pulling the trigger on several in the classifieds is fear that I would want a little more gain. I know you have had the smallbox, and now JJ, would the max gain with the master be similar to something like the smallbox at 2-3 oclock. Not sure I could adjust to less than that? If it is similar to the smallbox plexi channel I could not adjust but it sounds like more.

7. LPMojoGL

It's like the SB gain on 6, JJ gain on 4. Good enuf for hard classic rock. Hitting it with a pedal like a Timmy, Koko or Tube Screamer takes it over the top to the higher gain sounds of the BE or JJ. It has a lil more forwardness or in your face vibe compared to the more refined Friedmans, good thing for punch. All the Friedmans have great tone and feel at the sacrifice of punch. The refined feel doesn't hit as hard, but records great.
    Equate it to beer: Friedman is like your fav that you can sip on and it's just right all the time. Never get tired of it, yummy n refreshing all the time. Then there's that beer you want when you're feeling especially frisky. It hits your tastes buds, punches your brain like a mule and fills ya up after a while, but is still on your list as most frequently consumed. That's the Rockitt compared to the Friedman.

8. teveinsene

teveinsene Member

Lol! That's great, my frisky amp is my 79 jmp 2204 but it's only good and fun with volume at 8 and even then it's a little flubbier than I would like.

9. LPMojoGL

I did the 2204 merry go round. So many duds out there. The dud-to-great ratio is like 1 to 5. The good ones sound great at a friendly home volume, and even better at stage volume. Some sound like crap no matter what. And most sound ok if you can crank em.

The Rockitt sounds great at bedroom volumes, and that is all I can say right now. I have a line on a 2204 2x12 combo (4104) for a great price. Like, a 1995 price. I'm hesitant to even check it out because I think the Rockitt sounds better than the 4104 will at any volume. But I'm still gonna check it out anyway, cause I'm sick like that.

10. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

Sounded great! Quite the snarly lead sound, ,and mean playing :)

11. teveinsene

teveinsene Member

Unfortunately I've just begun that same merry go round even after having several Friedmans that sound good no matter what, low or high volume controls set about anywhere.

My first 2204, sounds like **** low volume but cranked is pretty good for a couple minutes at a time tops before it's too overwhelming. Clip of it

12. LPMojoGL

Thanks! The playing was one take bs, but the tone was all bedroom volume Rockitt. Much praise to the amp at lower volumes.

Super sweet clip man! That sucker will do in any rocking band, and stand up to any challengers in the volume/cut war.
    Very nice.
    I can only suggest some tube swappage and biasing to get the lower volume tones, but I'm guessing you probably already know that.
    Judging by the Bogner (Helios?) and Friedman I see in that clip.
    That 2204 is in good company.

13. teveinsene

teveinsene Member

That is a Helios and older BE in the background. The 2204 was with gain on 8 and volume on 8 and it was almost too gainy at those volumes, turned down not that gainy.

Looking forward to some more clips from you of this Rockett Retro and any more I can dig up, I would say from listening to your clips on here in the last couple yrs I think the Fargen 800 were some of my favorites.

14. LPMojoGL

Helios and BE. Dude is living like a king amongst mortal men!

Can't argue with the comment about the Fargen. So far, I'd say the Rockitt captures what I like about the 60s/70s mode of the Fargen just right.

15. teveinsene

teveinsene Member

It will be interesting to hear if cranking this thing to 10 or diming all the controls will give up even more gain than you are getting with the master low. How does that usually work with plexi circuits with master volumes versus nonmaster cranked gain content? Is it about an equal amount of gain either route you go?

16. LPMojoGL

No clue. The only plexi-ish amps I've had are Germinos with no master volume. I've also played early 70s JMPs and they were the same way. The volume knob was more like a gain knob, and you just dealt with the volume. Some are more gainy than others, just like 2204s.

Here's the same track as above but with me playing drums along with the clip on an Alesis SR-16:

[SOUNDCLOUD]https://soundcloud.com/bmandrell/rockitt-sg-first-w-drums[/SOUNDCLOUD]

Last edited: Jan 25, 2015
  17. Fretsalot

Fretsalot Member

:rockin

Good clip! Sounds like that RR is bending to your will...

Keep the clips coming!

Fretsalot/Scott

18. LPMojoGL

It's badass. There will be many clips. This amp isn't going anywhere.

19. soulloud

soulloud Member

Wait till you crank the RR. I don't even look at other amps anymore.

20. LPMojoGL

Dude, don't say that. I have a Friedman JJ100 that I've been over the moon with for a while. I'd hate to be more enamored with a cheap, second-hand plexi clone than the Freidman priced the same as a used car. :)