• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

NAD - Suhr PT100SE and 2x12" Cab

SgtThump

I had several nice high-end amps at one point, but sold most of them 5-6 years ago and turned my full attention to drums. I've been dreaming about amps again and have been researching them pretty hard for the past few months.

My criteria was pretty simple...
  • Traditional vintage plexi tones like old Rush, old Kiss, etc... (not the souped up EVH tones)
  • Modern high gain tone with "punch" and some aggression - I don't like extreme levels of gain or really compressed amps
  • Ability to footswitch between the two tones listed above would be great
  • Series FX loop that works very well with pedals
  • Master volume that can bring the amp down low and still sound decent (even though I usually play pretty loud)
That about sums it up! "Extra" things like a nice clean channel, spring reverb, midi, etc... are all nice features too, but not required for me.

I can ramble on and on about stuff, but I'll try to get right to the point. I went for the Suhr PT100SE head and matching 2x12" cab and received the rig last Friday. Got an hour here or there with it over the weekend, but really got to spend more time with it last night. I am indeed in the honeymoon phase, but at least I didn't post this after only 10 minutes of playing the amp. LOL

Initial impressions:

• The vintage plexi tones on Channel 2 are ridiculously good to these ears with way more flexibility than a vintage Marshall
  • Channel 3 with/without the built-in boost can be super duper high gain if needed, but with the preamp gain between 6-7, the amp has just the right amount of gain for me, retains it's "punch" and IS NOT overly compressed
  • Although not a requirement of mine, the clean channel is downright gorgeous and I'm very happy to have it
  • The built-in mosfet boost acts like an OD pedal on any channel and is a great feature. The boost works great on all channels, including clean!
  • Amp sounds great at low volume levels and can be dialed back to a whisper if needed (doesn't go from quiet to loud quickly)
I haven't plugged a single effect into the loop yet, but I've heard/read tons about how great the fx loop is on this amp and I expect it to work perfectly. I'll try that next.

At this point, I'm feeling VERY GOOD about buying this rig! I'm digging it very much!

Concerns/Complaints:
  • When coming off standby, if I immediately start using the footswitch to change channels, it pops loudly through the amp. However, if I wait 30-60 seconds before hitting the footswitch, it's quiet. I have an email to Suhr about this to see if this is a real issue or just something I need to deal with. It's not a huge deal, but annoying.
  • I received the cover with the black "Suhr" logo for the head, but the cover with the white "Suhr" logo for the cab. Small complaint, I know. But I'd love for them to match, since I'm viewing this rig as a set. :)
I plan to make some videos in the near future and will post back when that happens. May not be until this weekend, though, not sure.

Simto

Congrats! Sick amp, I hope you make lots of music and have fun with it!

I'm definitely jelly!

carl_is_tall

Glad to hear you like the amp. I bought my head/cab almost a year ago and I still love it! Love the clean channel and Ch. 2. Ch. 3 just doesn't' get much use from me but it is good to have for unique parts of songs.

The only thing that doesn't give me the 'wow' factor is the low gain rhythm. I will admit that is being pretty damn picky. I'm sure it can get it with the right pedal but I haven't found it yet. I use ch 1 with an AC Booster for that. Ch 2 is a little too 'stiff' for that IMO.

So now I bring 2 amps to larger gigs!! My JTM45 and 2x12, no pedals, set for 'that' sound,... And the PT-100 and 2x12, with the pedalboard. Holy crap that combo is incredible. Using a Palmer splitter to split the signal.

Congrats on your new amp! I have picked up a couple vintage amps this past year but I have zero interest in any other modern or channel switching amp.

It gets really fun when you can turn it up loud,....

SgtThump

Thanks everyone! A few other things I like...

• The Suhr logo feels like stone, but I believe it's brushed metal. Whatever the material, it's a nice touch.
  • Love how the channel indicator lights are right underneath the volume controls for each channel, so it's easy to find the volume knob.
  • I really like the "understated" look of this rig. Very clean and simple with a streamlined modern appearance.
  • The fact that soft cases are included.

Last edited:

Husky

The pop is only for a minute and is not an issue, it has to do with the voltages settling in when power is applied, related to DC settling and bleeding off combined with the muting circuit that makes the amp silent during relay switching. Even when you take any amp off standby you should give it 5 minutes to sound like it should, studios will let them warm up for 15. Standbys remove DC from circuits so your amp really doesn't warm up until power is applied.

I do want to ask you some questions though and have sent a PM since there was an early running change on the pop during the first minute that greatly shortened and minimized it, Easy fix. I'm wondering if this is an early unit. It is not an issue though and there is nothing wrong, just let the amp warm up a few minutes after standby before switching. Any questions I am here to help !
Thanks
John

Last edited:

SgtThump

Thanks again everyone for sharing in my excitement! :)

Thanks for the help John. I will take the amp off standby (standback mode) and wait a minute before changing channels going forward. Certainly not a big deal. Thanks for confirming nothing is wrong!

This is a killer amp and you should be proud of designing it! I also use to have an OD100SE+ and it was killer as well!

The Whiz

Don't want to side track your thread but do you still have your Electra Dyne? I ask because I see them used for good prices and am tempted.

SgtThump

Don't want to side track your thread but do you still have your Electra Dyne? I ask because I see them used for good prices and am tempted.

I do still have the Electra-Dyne combo and I still think it's one of my favorite amps ever! Marshally tones, but with huge thick lows and low mids.

Considering selling it now, but it's not because I don't love it. It just so freaking bulky and heavy. I'd recommend the head version with a speaker cab.

Husky

Thanks for the help John. I will take the amp off standby (standback mode) and wait a minute before changing channels going forward. Certainly not a big deal. Thanks for confirming nothing is wrong!

This is a killer amp and you should be proud of designing it! I also use to have an OD100SE+ and it was killer as well!
Thats what was new for you, we used to use Vactrols for switching which have built in soft switching but are no longer compliant in EU for RoHS regulations. They cant be used unless for perminent installations. All the amp companies are being forced to go back to relays which require much more engineering to not hear the clicks from the relays. This does confirm to you though the amp has not warmed up yet ! Some Hifi tube power amps will build in a soft start so they make no noise for 2 minutes.

SgtThump

Thats what was new for you, we used to use Vactrols for switching which have built in soft switching but are no longer compliant in EU for RoHS regulations. They cant be used unless for perminent installations. All the amp companies are being forced to go back to relays which require much more engineering to not hear the clicks from the relays. This does confirm to you though the amp has not warmed up yet ! Some Hifi tube power amps will build in a soft start so they make no noise for 2 minutes.

Just confirmed again that if I wait 30 seconds or so after coming off standby, there is no popping at all. John, thanks again for the help.

I'm gonna try to get a video up soon. Just a zoom recorder, nothing special at all.

Bogner

Can you explain the differences between your new amp and your OD 100SE+ that you did have? More gain, less gain, better cleans, breakup, headroom, etc. Thank you!

jkruger03

Congrats! I've had my PT for a few months now and it's the best amp I've had. It sits in the mix perfectly.

SgtThump

Can you explain the differences between your new amp and your OD 100SE+ that you did have? More gain, less gain, better cleans, breakup, headroom, etc. Thank you!

In my research, I ran across a few comments comparing the SE+ to the new PT100SE and I gotta say I agree with them.

The SE+ is darker and smoother in general, but of course you can adjust the EQ to make it brighter. It also has more gain on tap. I'm not a super high gain freak and I loved the SE+. I'd just dial the gain back a little and the amp didn't lose balls that way.

SgtThump

Congrats! I've had my PT for a few months now and it's the best amp I've had. It sits in the mix perfectly.

Unfortunately, I'm not in a band right now and cant use it like that! Totally sucks! I'm pretty close to searching for another gig, so hopefully something will come around and I'll get to use the rig live!

Trending Topics

Top Bottom