NAD: Sunn Model-T

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Custom50, Nov 20, 2017.

1. Custom50

Custom50 Member

Wanted one for a while of these for a while but they are rare as hen's teeth around these parts. When this one popped up I pounced on it.
    [​IMG]

So, what can I say about it? Only a little bit for now, I haven't had it long.

The amount of low end this thing can push is amazing. There's a reason fans of all things heavy praise these amps. It makes fuzz pedals sound like an earthquake.

The EQ and mid-boost offer more versatility than I would have expected but each setting on the mid range switch has a pronounced midrange frequency that always voices the amp around that frequency. That's a terrible description but maybe someone else who knows these amps can explain it better.

The headroom is immense. No shock there. In typical Sunn fashion it's already exceptionally loud on 2.

Maybe my opinion will change after I spend more time with it but right now I would say this amp does a few things especially well but it's not going to be your Swiss army knife of an amp. It's not for everybody. In fact, it's probably not for most people but for a few specific applications it's badass.

Also, definitely do not pay the insane prices people ask for these things. They are, IMO, just not worth it. I waited a while to find one that was decently priced and I turned out knowing the guy who was selling it. He gave me a good deal. I think people asking 2500 or 3000 for these things are shooting for the stars. There are still deals to be had if you are patient.

mbell75, ROKY, D.M.N. and 1 other person like this.
  2. pcutt

pcutt Member

Thanks for the info and looking forward to hearing some clips!

Custom50 likes this.
  3. kustombob

kustombob Member

Cool 'those are nice amps. I used to have a Sunn concert lead that was for me at the time 1976 very nice but SS . Foghat used these Model T on their Fool For the city tour around 1977; They sounded great. Prices on old Sunn tube amps on fleabay are nuts IMHO. They were cool amps but they want to much. I also has a Solarius lead Sunn amp' It had the head and cab all in one unit. It was tube and had a good growl. One i wished I would have kept.

Custom50 likes this.
  4. Custom50

Custom50 Member

Yeah I knew Foghat used them. Randy Bachman too. Obviously you have Sunn O)))) and one of my favorite guitarists, Wino, uses a Model T.

Totally agree, Sunn are like old Traynors, you used to be able to get them for like 200 bucks but the word got out and now people want way more for them. Sunn more than Traynor.

You basically have to ignore the reverb and Ebay prices and hunt for a deal. I got my model T for the equivalent of about 1400 USD (I'm Canadian) and I'm good with that. I got a Beta Bass earlier this year for like 230 USD. You can still get a good price if you meet someone who wants to deal.

kustombob likes this.
  5. fiveightandten

fiveightandten Member

Congrats, and nice snag. Sweet amp!

Custom50 likes this.
  6. Gallery

Gallery Supporting Member

Nice score!

I'm pretty sure this would be the first riff I'd rock out to if I were to get a Sunn

7. Fulldrive-1

Fulldrive-1 Member

I heard Foghat on the '77 tour, so I guess I heard the Sunn amps. But I don't remember.

8. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

9. swiveltung

swiveltung Member

Is that the one with the four ... EL34's? or..?

10. D.M.N.

D.M.N. Member

These run 6550s, same as all the other large Sunn heads.

As a big Sunn, user, I agree with the absurd prices the Ts have climbed to. I use the older 1000s series heads, and those tend to hover right around the $1k mark, which is pretty fair for what they are, hand built, high quality amps with massive transformers that are damn loud. Sometimes you can pick them up cheaper or a bit above that, but in the past few years I've been seeing sellers trying to ask $2k for them, and $2500+ for the Model Ts, which is just a bit silly. They are fantastic bass amps though, and I rather wish guitar players would stop buying them up as pedal platforms, leave more for me...

Custom50 likes this.
  11. Custom50

Custom50 Member

1st and 2nd gen model T's are powered by 6550's. The fender RI uses 6L6.

This is a 2nd gen. The main differences between the 1st and 2nd appear to be the tone stack and mid boost. Seems like there is some debate which is "better". I only have experience with this one so I can't give any insight but better is all relative anyways.

12. MixG18

MixG18 Member