NAD!! Super Supro Saturday!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Austin_Taunt, Feb 8, 2020.

1. Austin_Taunt

Austin_Taunt Supporting Member

Picked this fun amp up in a trade. Supro Black Magick with 1x15” extension cab. It was advertised as the 12” and was a little disappointed when I got it home. However, I spent all day trying it with different guitars and slowly dialing it in. It still sounds amazing with a 53 Custom Shop telecaster. Has a mid range grind to it that screams Led Zeppelin I. With a Music Man Stingray loaded with humbuckers and ran thru a closed back Orang ppc112 and this baby breathes fire and I was slinging some great rock riffs.

Its a very touch dynamic amp and I had a blast running different guitars thru it. I hooked my pedal board up briefly and tried a Timmy, Lovepedal Amp11 and Keeley Caverns. Still need to dial in tones with it but honestly I don’t plan to use many. It’s such a glorious tone straight up. I play mostly country rock and this will fit the bill. Not sure if it will unseat the Hot Cat but I will try it at a rehearsal and see what the band thinks. Wanting a more minimalist rig and just let my finger tips and volume knob make my tone.

ken374, Soothsayer, samuel87 and 2 others like this.
  2. Non-Musical Hack

Non-Musical Hack Member

This thread is useless without audio samples of what you described.

Glad you like your new amp.

Austin_Taunt likes this.
  3. aeolian

aeolian Member

I have one of the 12" combos. What attracted me to it in the store is how present and immediate the notes are without being shrill or harsh. Turning it up with a band I noticed that while it has some OD are pretty low volumes, it can get quite a bit louder and still have the same level of drive. Doesn't mush out. Bang it with a pedal and the notes are still there. One thing a buddy noticed running a Topanga reverb pedal into it is how there's a bit of drive and squish to the attack of the note but the reverb tails don't disappear. He compared it to running similar levels of OD on his Lazy J and how the reverb got lost in the gain. I was going to sell it when I got my Milkman, but I'm probably going to keep it around. They're not that expensive and it gives it's own unique sound.

Austin_Taunt likes this.
  4. smellytele

smellytele Supporting Member

Congrats!! I love NAD, even when it's someone else!

Austin_Taunt likes this.
  5. scott58

scott58 Member

Just sold mine last month. Great amp just to loud for my use.

Austin_Taunt likes this.
  6. Austin_Taunt

Austin_Taunt Supporting Member

It is loud with the matching cab. When I hooked it up to the orange closed back cab it felt like it lost 30% of its volume. It was really nice with humbuckers bc I could get it cooking and it rocked.