NAD!! Supro Comet

tigerfan2

I haven't seen much about these online, but I was recently in the market for a low wattage home amp. I looked at all the usual suspects: PRRI, Vox AC 15, Egnater tweaker, etc.

I have always used fender stuff in the past but never quite satisfied with it. Blackface stuff sounds great but I missed the mids. Tweed was almost there but too loose.

I was pretty much resigned to live with a PRRI and just deal with the things I didn't like, but I stumbled upon this.

The closest Supro dealer was almost 150 miles away, which meant it was pretty unfeasible for me to try it out, but I took a shot on buying it based on the limited demos saw online, and I'm glad I did.

The clean are nice and the reverb and trem are excellent. I tried it with some pedals and it sounded good. Although, I haven't been able to crank it up yet, but I have no doubt it sounds nice there.

If anyone out there is looking for an alternative to a PRRI, take a look at these. It sounds great and looks great.

Edit: Added a pic
[/IMG]

Last edited:
I think these are pretty cool and seem decently versatile. Hopefully, someone will keep them in stock near me so I can give it a test run.

Louthunder

Played one a couple of weeks ago and was floored !! What a great amp ! Biggest sounding amp with a ten in. speaker I have ever heard !! I already have a Supro Saturn and love that too !!!

ripple

To keep fresh, keep capped & cold.
Gold Supporting Member
Congrats on NAD tigerfan2- such a great looking little amp! I love the Supro aesthetic.

Nice to hear it is equally toneful as well.

shoepedals

Vendor
Yep. I also got a comet fairly recently and it's a really nice sounding amp. I have also been using it with an extension cab and 12" speaker and it sounds fantastic like that as well.

One of my favorite features is the tremolo being a real tube bias tremolo but also being in the preamp section so it's routed before the reverb unlike most amps. You can do these sort of waves of reverb with it.

Does anyone play country/Americana with this thing? I know it seems kind of counterintuitive being that this one is marketed as a "high gain" amp and lauded for its overdrive, but I know it's got some decent clean on tap. Obviously, I don't expect fender cleans, but I'm curious about how versatile it is.

HowardMusic

Silver Supporting Member
Congrats on the new amp!

Like you, my nearest Supro dealer is too far away for me to try out. Just curious, how are the semi-clean tones, and touch sensitivity? I think the answer is no, but redundancy with a Princeton Reverb? I have a '68, and while I think it sounds pretty awesome, looking for a different flavor.

For the other Comet owners, or for those who have tried and can comment, how does the Comet compare to the Black Magic or Dual Tone in respect to tone and feel?

Thanks in advance for any replies !

Gallery

Silver Supporting Member
I used to own a Black Magic and I've tried the Comet and other new Supros. To my ears the Comet was very much the little brother of the Black Magick. Same flavor of tone and OD, but not quite as much punch. To me the BM and Comet sound a bit different than the other Supros. They are a little more aggressive and meaner with more gain. I probably would have bought the Comet since the wattage fit my needs better than the BM, but I didn't like the reverb. It was not Fenderish at all. I could see that some may like it better, but it wasn't for me. It was more shimmery than echoey if that makes any sense. Not surfy. The tremolo was better than my Black Magick. It's a great little amp.

tigerfan2

Does anyone play country/Americana with this thing? I know it seems kind of counterintuitive being that this one is marketed as a "high gain" amp and lauded for its overdrive, but I know it's got some decent clean on tap. Obviously, I don't expect fender cleans, but I'm curious about how versatile it is.
I actually play a lot of country and Americana stuff. I think the cleans so very nice.

Congrats on the new amp!

Like you, my nearest Supro dealer is too far away for me to try out. Just curious, how are the semi-clean tones, and touch sensitivity? I think the answer is no, but redundancy with a Princeton Reverb? I have a '68, and while I think it sounds pretty awesome, looking for a different flavor.

For the other Comet owners, or for those who have tried and can comment, how does the Comet compare to the Black Magic or Dual Tone in respect to tone and feel?

Thanks in advance for any replies !
I feel like the semi-cleans and touch sensitivity are good. I'm really enjoying this amp.

I think that it would pair well with a fender Princeton. Definitely a different flavor of American sounds.

I used to own a Black Magic and I've tried the Comet and other new Supros. To my ears the Comet was very much the little brother of the Black Magick. Same flavor of tone and OD, but not quite as much punch. To me the BM and Comet sound a bit different than the other Supros. They are a little more aggressive and meaner with more gain. I probably would have bought the Comet since the wattage fit my needs better than the BM, but I didn't like the reverb. It was not Fenderish at all. I could see that some may like it better, but it wasn't for me. It was more shimmery than echoey if that makes any sense. Not surfy. The tremolo was better than my Black Magick. It's a great little amp.
I agree with you about the reverb as it gets higher it definitely has a shimmer. I'd swear that the amp gets a little gainer as the reverb is turned up.

I like the reverb but it is not fender for sure.

HowardMusic

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks guys - these are really helpful comments. Might just have to take the plunge without trying first ... Thanks again !!

redgold

Silver Supporting Member
I just played one. Coolest looking amp and sounded fantastic, although I didn't get a chance to wind it up. Reverb has a plate quality rather than fender, which IMO is a good thing as it was useable through the entire sweep. Almost whipped out the credit card even though I need another amp like a hole in my head.

teleman1

Silver Supporting Member
My Comet looks like this and is awesome, really as nice if not nicer than a PR. Pedal friendly. Mine has three brown stripes and says Supro on the grill cloth.

Last edited:

Bodhisattva

I have one and love the looks and tone. I don't think i'd call it high-gain, but it certainly saturates well. Really punchy and records great. I like to split my signal out between a tweed deluxe and the comet for recording then tweak the two tracks to compliment each other. I dial back the treble a little for my ears when playing, but for recording that extra high-end really shines through the mix. I really can't tell a ton of difference between the 6 and 14 watt settings. 8 watts i guess.

TheSpricket

The features on this amp make it pretty stand alone and I'm very ready to pull the trigger. I really like the 10in speaker with the choice of 6 or 14 watts, and reverb.

I'm looking to upgrade from a blues jr. Mostly using it at home I'm hoping that I can get more liveliness out of the 6 watts than I can from the BJ's 15 and 12in speaker.

I guess my question is if the Comet has a more usable volume sweep on 6 watts, at pretty quiet home levels, compared to a Blues Jr that I'm constantly using at 1 to 2? I'm hoping that the Comet sounds as big and full as the blues jr does at 3 but with considerably less volume. I need to really try the amp in my room so I can hear what kind of sound this thing produces.

The features on this amp make it pretty stand alone and I'm very ready to pull the trigger. I really like the 10in speaker with the choice of 6 or 14 watts, and reverb.

I'm looking to upgrade from a blues jr. Mostly using it at home I'm hoping that I can get more liveliness out of the 6 watts than I can from the BJ's 15 and 12in speaker.

I guess my question is if the Comet has a more usable volume sweep on 6 watts, at pretty quiet home levels, compared to a Blues Jr that I'm constantly using at 1 to 2? I'm hoping that the Comet sounds as big and full as the blues jr does at 3 but with considerably less volume. I need to really try the amp in my room so I can hear what kind of sound this thing produces.
This is late, but I'll answer.

There is almost no difference between 6 and 14 volume-wise. It changes the character of the amp a lot more than the output. It is a loud 6 watts too.

My suggestion: get an attenuator. I put a Swart Night Light in it and you can play it almost silently. It is a killer amp with gorgeous cleans and great break up.

tigerfan2

Are people still loving it? I’m intrigued by this little amp, but I do not have the possibility to try it out.
So I still love the amp, but I no longer have it. I made the switch to modeling for now (small child in a small house), but I wouldn’t hesitate to get it again.

It sounded great at lower volumes, but it was still too loud for a sleeping toddler.

If you want whisper quiet, this ain’t it but it sounds great. I will say though, I ended up using the reverb less and less. I just prefer the classic spring sound.

Trending Topics