NAD: The Perfect Ending To A Perfectly Horrible Experience

Torren61

I had a thread going a little while ago about shipping my 1968 Traynor Bassmaster YBA-1 head to a guy in Sweden to have him mod/rebuild it. I deleted the thread because he finally shipped the head and I was hoping for a happy new amp day thread. This is not a happy new amp day thread.

I've been working some really crazy overtime here in NorCal. We had some storms come through and I've been working since Monday morning to restore peoples' electricity. We've been working all night and coming home to rest for eight hours and then going back and working all night again and it been rough but profitable, lol.

The guy in Sweden finally shipped the head and it arrived at 1:45pm via FedEx. I had to leave my house at 2pm so I didn't have much time.

I met the FedEx lady halfway in my front yard and as she hands me the package, she tells me about the water damage. Sure enough, the bottom of the cardboard box is wet through. She follows me to my front porch and we unbox the head. I should have started shooting pics then but I was a bit distracted.

I opened the box and almost laughed. The first thing I see is a really bad packing job. Then I see the rust on the chassis. She tells me she's noted the water damage and then she leaves. There's no way FedEx is honoring insurance on an amp packed that badly.

I took the amp inside and started shooting pictures. You can see how it was packed. The head itself wasn't wrapped and stuff was just shoved inside to take up space. There were preamp tubes in their sockets. He'd taped the other tubes to the chassis. He didn't send back the plate that covers the innards of the chassis and there is damage to some shield he's fashioned to cover the pots. the box was wet and there's mold on some parts of the duct tape. Parts of the box is torn.

Here are some pics:

Torren61

I have no idea what the switches and some of the new knobs do. He didn't give me a manual or anything. I'll need this head gone over by a tech before i do anything with it.

WhoJamFan

Aww man, that really sucks. I really hope you get your amp sorted out, and put in that nice case that you made.
Horrible, really no excuse for such a crap job packing your amp.

LPVM

Wow, unbelievable packing job. Sorry this has been such a bad experience. Fortunately it looks like there wasn't too much damage. Since the box was wet the rust probably happened in transit. Clean that off with a Dremel mounted wire wheel and a tacky rag. The good news is the work itself is really solid. Was it sent working? If so put some tubes in it and fire it up. If not bring it to someone that really knows their stuff to finish it up because he went way off script with the mods. I hope it turns out to be a monster. Hang in there brother, this could still end well.

rufedges

The rust and stuff will only add to the toanz,......j/k, I'd be pissed, but it's better than a stick in the eye. Let everyone who NOT to send their amplifier to for work, too many bad protocols here to forgive.

NewLeaf09

Don't suppose it was a reply to your initial thread on being ripped off. Communication comes in many forms.

PS. He's probably not responsible for the exposure to the elements, though he might think that was a stroke of luck.

Last edited:

calfzilla

Cynical Hack
FedEx has to take responsibility for the water damage, regardless of how well the amp was packed. Peanuts and bubble wrap don't create a water tight seal. If you take it to a tech and it needs any work because of water, I would file a claim with a written note from the tech for the work, the amount, and the reason.

Sorry it was such a bad experience. If you decide to get anything else modded, see if anyone in the US does your mods and just ship them the amp. Maybe find a TGP'er to go check up on the amp if they live in the area.

calfzilla

Cynical Hack
The rust looks much heavier than it would be just getting wet in a box in shipping. My guess is it got that rust sitting on the guys shelf. Didn't he just finally ship it last week? Shouldn't be enough time to get like that in a box, even if box got wet, there's no rust anywhere else.

Sorry you had such a bad experience.
The pattern is weird for the rust. Could have been that something was spilled on the chassis, causing the expedited rusting process. If it was going to rust from sitting on a shelf in a really humid environment, the rust would be more even across the chassis, at least in theory.

gtrplr71

How long ago did you ship this amp and how long did it set there? Judging by the color of the rust it really has not penetrated too deep yet but if you dont remove it, it will.

Leonc

Wild Gear Hearder
Platinum Supporting Member
The rust looks much heavier than it would be just getting wet in a box in shipping. My guess is it got that rust sitting on the guys shelf. Didn't he just finally ship it last week? Shouldn't be enough time to get like that in a box, even if box got wet, there's no rust anywhere else.

Sorry you had such a bad experience.
Agree. I think it would take longer than the time it took to ship for that rust to develop. Torren you're 100% sure the rust wasn't there before?

Anyway, it probably won't be much of an issue, fortunately, and yeah...Dremel tool to remove it.

The bigger issue (in my mind is)...it's got extra knobs (and switches?) that you weren't expecting? Jesus man...boy, I'd try it and if not satisfied...I'd be inclined to either sell it or take it back to stock and sell it...or get it to someone local who can do any of the numerous, well-documented mods that get you towards what this Jesper was supposed to do for you.

drbob1

Gold Supporting Member
There's rust UNDER the tube boxes taped to the chassis, which are not water marked! That means the rust happened in his shop, not from the moisture in shipping. It does look like he spilled something on it, which maybe goes some way to explain the problem. After doing such sanitary work he gets something on the chassis which rusts it, now what does he do? Tell you? Send it back rusty? Dither for a while and just not make a decision?

There's nothing on that amp that would make me think that Fedex is responsible for any damage or is likely to pay anything. And, given the communication and help you've received from Jesper already, seems unlikely you'll get any satisfaction. So, I'd just play the damn thing. For my purposes, I'd plug it into a variac and a stout speaker cab, gradually bring up the power with no tubes in. If it's OK. replace the tubes and repeat. If nothing bad happens then, then try playing gently thru it. As to what the various knobs and switches do, you can figure that out by experiment if the amp is safe. Oh, and do change the fuse as he suggests, the euro fuse and the american one are 50% off for value because of the 120 vs 240 power.

Trending Topics