NAD: Tone King Royalist 45 MKII

oasis02

Long story short, I had an acoustic that I just wasn't using enough to justify having around anymore.

So, it and my 2554 Jubilee combo would be swapped for a Marshall amp for the ages.

I was convinced that I would be returning home with a Friedman Smallbox, but compared head-to head nothing IMO touched the TK Royalist MKII for authentic 60's and 70's Marshall tone.

I owned a Majestic 15 head and cab for about two weeks when it initially released, and just couldn't bond with it. An improved attenuator, two distinct voice inputs (JMP/Bassman style), and actual EL34 tubes (15 uses EL84) changed enough in the amp to give it a try. The tone is just amazingly good clean or dirty. The Ironman II attenuator works wonderfully and only chokes-off tone set at it's highest point.

You can easily slide into 80's rock with some pedals. I'm using a Rat, a Maxon OD9 Plus, and an Alexander Jubilee...to recapture the 2554.

Could not be happier with the new amp. Big sound and the large cab is not a backbreaker.

I have to give kudos to Chicago Music Exchange for the help with this transaction. Since the ownership change, there has been no better place to deal with, period. Both guitars and the amp were CME acquisitions over the past few years.

motokev

I C U have a lot of pedals. U should get that DIGITECH TRIO, man what a FUN PEDAL !!! the bass player and drummer are really easy to get along with.

oasis02

I C U have a lot of pedals. U should get that DIGITECH TRIO, man what a FUN PEDAL !!! the bass player and drummer are really easy to get along with.
I actually prefer the standard drum tracks in the Solo xt much more. I had both Trios and despite the settings...found it to be way jazzy and busy for my likings.

oasis02

Update: JB Strat swapped-out for a new 2016 GS Standard.

I never learn that I'm just not a single coil person but...that Beck is really a nice Strat.

I wanted something to just give the LP an occasional break, but still sound great. The SG is working.

delichef

Very nice, congrats! Just ordered one as well. Was between the Dirty Shirley and the Royalist for me. Love your setup!

YYZ

Silver Supporting Member
Actually was going to ask, did you try the Dirty Shirley as well? Seems Small Box wouldn't be your bag given what you were looking for, but the DS and 60s-70s Marshall tones...

oasis02

I did not try the DS. I may have been interested in the Mini + Cab version, but it was not available. I did watch several videos, and I do like the basic tones I've heard from that unit.

It would have been very hard to walk with anything other than the Royalist that day. I've had many Marshalls and their boutique counterparts, and this tone is an all-time-fave.

JES1680

Gold Supporting Member
Congrats.. this is an amp I can see buying again some day. I sold mine as I play more JCM800 style and I had a couple old metal pannel 1987s, a smallbox, and a couple others at the time. The Royalist does a great job of recreating that very early JTM stuff and the feel is just perfect.

morgan918

I'm looking for early Marshall tones and this looks like it would be perfect for me. Sounds amazing in videos and I freakin love the aesthetics. Don't love the price but it might be worth it if I can scrape the funds together. I had been thinking about the upcoming mini jubilee but this would be a whole different level.

Trending Topics