NAD: Tungsten crema Wheat

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by melodiusthunk, May 5, 2015.

1. melodiusthunk

melodiusthunk Bronzd & Supported Member Silver Supporting Member

Thanks to an outstanding deal with TGPer WODKA, I am the new owner of a nice "little big-man" amp, the Tungsten Crema Wheat. Already I love the bluesy lead tones this delivers, and when cranked with a bridge humbucker, the overdriven wound strings... well i haven't heard sounds like THAT since I engaged in unspeakable acts of brain cell destruction that can't be spoken about here while listening to CrazyHorse turned up LOUD, back in the day.

This is my first 5E3 derivative, and for those who may be wondering, this amp, while very inspiring, has not brought me closer to the level of a Greg V during the 5 hours that I've had to mess around with it. Dang, i will have to speak to Adam P about that.

It has the M75 speaker, which as others before me have noted gives the amp a heavy mid-range emphasis. The bass response doesn't get really ratty until both amp and guitar volume are really cranked; before that, the wound strings yield some very nice brassy horn-like tones that I want to explore further.

I am curious to ask other Crema Wheat owners whether they have relied soley on guitar volume roll-off to get their rhythm sounds, or perhaps settled on using a different speaker than the M75 (great rock speaker for sure, but I'm thinking here in more of a Blues-Americana-roots context)?

I think I'd like to stay away from the 50 oz magnet, super efficient speakers (like the Mesa MC90 which works great in the 5:50 Express); so am wondering has anyone run an alnico speaker in this amp similar to what Tungsten offers in their Cortez, and if so, could you comment on the tonal differences the swap made? I am not rushing to make such a swap, but am interested to learn others share their experiences with this amp.

Last edited: May 6, 2015
  2. Killcrop

Killcrop Supporting Member

I like the Scummy in that amp. Not to say you can't find something else that works better but I think it may be worth trying 6L6s if you are looking for a cleaner sound.

In the mean time, here is a comparison between the Scummy and 70th Anniversary. It may help you for rock tones anyway.

Last edited: May 5, 2015
  3. Robert Sands

Robert Sands Member

My CW has the Heritage and it sounds damn perfect in this beast.

4. GTRJohnny

GTRJohnny Member

Very nice comparison! I will listen tomorrow on better speakers, but on an iPad the Scum is killing. :)

5. melodiusthunk

Wow, thanks for posting this; my ear instantly moved towards the 70th anniversary, may have to check that one out after all.

6. Killcrop

I didn't like the 70th as much but I was so used to the Scummy. What your ear is used to has so much to do with tone preference.

7. Fireball XL5

Fireball XL5 Supporting Member

To me it sounds like the amp with the Scumback is pointed more directly at the mic source compared to the amp with the 70th Anniversary which sounds more off-axis.

I'm only listening to the comparison clip on cheap laptop speakers, but the Scumback comes across as the more punchy and articulate speaker which is completely opposite of my experience playing through the Crema Wheat running both of those respective speakers??

8. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

I have this amp regarding speakers I have tried these -

stock M75 good, not as efficient as the others, good Marshall type sounds
    Scumback h75 - didn't like it, not sure what to say
    Eminence Red Fang - Good more upper mids is what I wanted, didn't want to pry off bell and no space so I sold it.
    Celestion Neo Vintage - A vintage 30, here I get the upper mids I wanted with space and the best part no weight. I might run this in it for now.

9. melodiusthunk

Has anyone tried running an alnico mag speaker in their Crema?

10. Fireball XL5

Fireball XL5 Supporting Member

Curious as well. I would think the CoW would sound killer with a Celestion Blue.

11. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

Red Fang as I said before, sounded great, huge bell which I didn't want to remove. Only tubes that would fit inside with bell on would be old 6V6 tubes, even the JJ tubes will not fit.

I wanted to run 6L6 tubes so I sold the speaker rather than pry off a bell which may either destroy the bell or leave pry marks everywhere.

I got the upper mids I wanted from the Neo Vintage 30. Next step is to try 6L6 tubes.

12. melodiusthunk

Ah sorry I missed that, Guinness Lad, I hadn't realized the Red Fang is an alnico speaker.

Last edited: May 6, 2015
  13. Killcrop

It was recorded with an android phone. Equal distance from both amps.

14. Topcat

Topcat Member

When you say Scummy or Scumback, which version of the Scumback are you speaking of?
    Terry