NAD: Two Rock, Classic Reverb Signature amp

DiPa

Constant GAS
Platinum Supporting Member
Merry Christmas everybody, and happy GASing next year!!

Finding an amp that I really enjoy and dig is a journey, it's a journey that continues on and on as the level bar just keeps rising higher year after year. There are a few boutique companies that get this and Two Rock has been one of them. They were there years ago building and delivering best in class products, then they took a break and returned after re-inventing themselves. The news of them returning was well received and damn exciting at a time where our music amp industry is ready for the next thing.

I was very fortunate to get in line on the first 10 amps that they were getting out this month. Mine is serial #7. I had placed an order of the older Classic Reverb amp in mid October and right after that, like a week or so, the news of Two Rock team coming back broke. I had started a thread about a Classic Reverb amp, should I get one or not in beginning of October. We had a lot of fun with this thread, and at one point I was hoping and feeling that since Bill was back, he would bring with him the new innovation they had been working on, and that he would apply that to my new amp before it left the factory. Two Rock team actually were following my post, they could not say anything at the time. Someone on TGP gave me flack (perhaps in a kidding manner), and here I am with a Classic Reverb Signature containing some of Bills new magic. Bill put some crazy NOS parts in it, lead solder and the all works. My wish came true!

Here is Two Rock description of the Classic Reverb Signature amp:
The single-channel Classic Reverb Signature is Two-Rock’s ultimate tone shaping machine. Updated in November of 2016 with Bill Krinard’s new design tacticts, this amp is Available as either a 50W (2 x 6L6) or 100W (4 x 6L6) head. Built on either a black or silver aluminum chassis, this amps has been updated with a new output transformer on the 100 watt models, as well as an added Gain Structure switch for 3 different voicing settings on the input stage. Extensive tone shaping is offered via Treble, Middle, Bass, Bright, Mid, Deep and EQ controls. A Contour control facilitates switching between single coils and humbuckers while adjusting for room acoustics, without having to change preamp EQ settings. A foot switchable FET preamp stage, eq BYPASS and REVERB DEFEAT are stock features of this versatile amplifier.

Mine is the 100W/50W model in silver shown below.

Output Power: 100 Watt Head with half power scaling option.
Tubes: 4 x 6L6 (100 Watt)
Footswitch: FET, eq BYPASS, and REVERB DEFEAT
Dimensions: 22-3/4″ wide x 12″ tall x 10-5/8″ deep
Weight: 43 lbs.
Speaker Jacks: (2) 4 ohm; (1) 8 ohm

When I first plugged in, I could not believe what was coming out and effortlessly. The cleans are just out of this world, amazingly beautiful. It has a nice edge-of-breakup which is sweet. This is not a one trick pony amp. Having 3 gain structures and the High / Low switch is versatile. I used a 4x12 Mesa cab which is 8 ohms. It's the perfect match sound wise. Played an old strat.

This was my prize amp of 2016 and it arrived in time for Christmas. First I want to thank the fantastic Two Rock team for bringing out another killer product. I know another TGP member who has one and is elated as well. Hope some of you get to try one soon.

Below I was able to take for a spin a couple other amps out, and played them side by side. The SLO 100 I got in November, its on 4x12 cab from Swanson loaded with Cream Alnicos, there is a thread on this. Next to it is my Germino Filmore sitting on a 4x12 Swanson cab loaded with Tone Tubby Reds, open back. They all sound glorious, different as expected, but right now I am in heaven with the Classic Reverb Signature tones. I will be bringing out the Colby Park75 LTD to join these soon.

Simto

Congrats! and just in time for Christmas!

I didn't know Two-Rock were coming out with new stuff? Love their amps. I hope I'll own on some way down the line

DiPa

Constant GAS
One aspect of this amp is it sounds sweet on wherever I set it, it sounds sweet on a large range of settings. I am blown away on how rich, the harmonic content, and the magic it has. You can go from SRV to Mark Knophler tones to Mayer tones so easily and effortlessly. I am hanging on the 100w mode but will go back to the 50w mode after I try a few more things. The new transformer and high end components that TR employ are contributing huge to this, and whatever secret sauce Bill came up with, he hit this one out of the park!
I fully endorse and recommend this amp.

GasMask

Congratulations! It's cool you were able to snag the "new" version of this amp. I owned an original pre-PBG Classic Reverb for many years, and it was a wonderful amp. I would love to hear the latest....

DiPa

Constant GAS
Anyone else get a CRS ?
I know they just came out, but believe Two Rock sold a few last month.
Pls post if you have one.
TR will hopefully post some clips soon.
NAMM is around the corner.
For me, this is my fav amp today and waiting to hear others views as well.

mickelodeon

Anyone else get a CRS ?
CRS was always the acronym for the Custom Reverb Signature. Now everything is going to heck! Way to go, Two Rock...

lemonpaul59

Anyone else get a CRS ?
The knock on the 50 watt version was the clean channel headroom was lacking. I don't know if that is still the case, or ever was the case. You got the 100 watt option so that will never ever be a problem.
Best of luck with it. Let us know how it might stack up against other D-Style amps you might have.

DiPa

Constant GAS
The knock on the 50 watt version was the clean channel headroom was lacking. I don't know if that is still the case, or ever was the case. You got the 100 watt option so that will never ever be a problem.
Best of luck with it. Let us know how it might stack up against other D-Style amps you might have.
Yeah, My 100w has headroom galore, very very nice, tones from heaven. Another member here has the 50w model and he really likes it, I think that having a fixed bias and cathode bias in the 50w model was a cool feature from TR.

DiPa

Constant GAS
CRS =Custom Reverb Sig, in my books too.

You Classic owners - get your own abbreviation!
How about CRS' the prime indicating superior for the Classic Reverb Signature :)

Look I really care about the tones and sound and feel of these Amps, don't care about acronyms, you can call it whatever, but the tones and sound is what it's all about.

Would be interesting for someone that has played both CRS to report his/her observations.

Bluesful

Silver Supporting Member
CRS was always the acronym for the Custom Reverb Signature. Now everything is going to heck! Way to go, Two Rock...
CRS =Custom Reverb Sig, in my books too.

You Classic owners - get your own abbreviation!
Yeah it's always been the Custom Reverb Sig to me too.

I wonder where Two Rock will be going with their 2 channel amp? I assume the Coral will go and one of Bill's new designs will take its place?

Trending Topics