NAD! Two Rock Studio Pro 35. Honeymoon Review

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by southpaw66, Jan 23, 2012.

1. southpaw66

southpaw66 Member

So after two and half months my new Two Rock finally arrived in the UK today (Thanks to Andertons). No 325 built on 13 December 2011.

And with some luck a new Celestion G12-65 arrived on the doorstep first thing - to be retrofitted (for now) into an Egnator 1x12. I plan to have a custom cabinet built later.

First Thoughts;

As good as the reviews say. Genuinely the clearest, most dynamic clean amp I would dare use inside the house.

The best master volume control of any amp I've ever tried. With one control on the front acting as a pre-master and the effects return acting like a post-master it's infinitely flexible - no sudden jumps in volume, no loss in quality. What is every other manufacturer doing so wrong - this is how to build a studio/home valve amp volume control.

The EQ is so powerful. More Bass, Mid and Treble than I know what to do with. The Bass is particularly impressive for its clarity; provides a nice punch to expressive lines. Loads of clear but not biting treble; excellent for cutting through the mix or dialing back for practice.

One concern I had was with overdrive pedals in front; there were some reviewers saying they'd had trouble finding a match. My Barber Small Fry sounds excellent so far for a smooth style overdrive (YMMV), especially with Telecaster or Humbuckers. I will be looking for something which is a bit more raw sounding (more bark) in the near future.

Effects loop is good but slightly more fussy than an Egnator Tweaker, however much better than a Mesa-boogie Express.
    I have a tc electronic G-major 2 which I use for room EQ (very small practice room) and the odd effect I don't have a stomp box for. It definitely does not work well as the first effect in the loop as the volume drop is substantial (impedence mis-match no doubt) but putting it after JamMan Solo to act as a buffer and everything seems to be much happier.

Will never be able to explore its full potential in the house; but this is still the best amp for the house or small studio I could imagine.

Two minor quibbles. No UK power lead and no manual or additional info provided. Downloaded from the website anyway.

I plan to work on some clips over the next couple of weeks when I get time - so don't hassle me yet. I'll post something when its worth listening to. At least I added pictures:

[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 23, 2012
  2. princeton

princeton Member

I have the combo, excelent amp !

3. YOGA64

YOGA64 Member

I have the Studio Pro 22 Combo, best amp I've ever had, FANTASTIC with pedals :omg

4. traviswalk

traviswalk In the Great State Gold Supporting Member

So darn good, I thrashed mine around during a practice for most of Sunday, such a great amp :aok

5. trpullen

trpullen Silver Supporting Member

After more time with it....what conclusion did you come to?

6. southpaw66

southpaw66 Member

I really can't find a fault; great clean and takes OD pedals well. The only thing I am considering is trying with different speakers cabs. Perhaps a 2x12.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2012
  7. sfarnell

sfarnell Gold Supporting Member

I have the SP 35, #2. I agree with the OP about the cleans. What was surprising to me at first is the amount of gain on tap if that's what's needed. Turn the gain to 3:00, pull the mid control, and there should be a really nice powerful grind, more than I will ever need for my purposes.

8. southpaw66

southpaw66 Member

I tried this earlier, can't say it has much grind with my low output strat pups at home volume, but a great full sound. I like it a lot.