NAD: Vibroclone

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Carabinerx, Mar 11, 2015.

1. Carabinerx

Carabinerx Member

This is a weird one. Some 'custom amp maker,' using early SF Super Reverb and Pro Reverb parts, built a BF vibroverb. Its an SFSR chassis, but without the mid knob, the SFPR transformer, a few other changes, and turns out I have a BF-ish Vibroverb. I just did some of those SRV mods, pulled V1, flipped V2 with PI (12ax7 in P1 and 12at7 in V2), going it give it some volume tomorrow, see if I cant get some breakup without blowing down the apt complex. Not a bad trade for a SF vibro champ and $100. Thoroughly been enjoying this thing.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 13, 2015
  2. jpage

jpage Silver Supporting Member

Very cool--how's it sound? Why are you jumping into the mods already?

3. Carabinerx

Carabinerx Member

Anyone have BF vibroverb? About what volume level does it start to saturate? trying to gauge this thing, not sure if its more SF or BF, but there are higher voltages on SF models, right?

4. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

Interesting. Would love to hear how it sounds.

5. Dumb Bell

Dumb Bell Member

I have the original, after trying all the other blackface amps with reverb, it's the one. Mine's setup not to breakup early, but with the alnico speaker it sings when you dig in at about 3 on the volume. Extremely loud amp. My close friend has 7 blackface Super Reverbs, he can't believe how much bigger, rounder and beefier the Vibroverb sounds.

6. Carabinerx

Carabinerx Member

I believe it, I cant stop playing now....seriously my fingers are hurting. Im running this through a rocket cab with 2 hellatones, a v30 and g12h60 -- lots of bass, but its really rich sounding at lower volumes. At about 2.5 if I really dig in, I can get some nice thickness/edge of break, otherwise it's just beautifully rich cleans all across the board. This is probably the most exciting amp ive had yet...

Ill try to post some clips soon, still very fender, but has some really great character for the home with a NOS 12at7 in V2 and nothing in V1