NAD: Victory Amps Silverback (short overview)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Haz, Aug 7, 2016.

1. Yes

3 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Haz

Haz Member

Hi guys! There is not a lot of user feedback on Silverback except for Chapman demos so I decided to share some thoughts on the amp. Had it for a few days now.

I played it through M65 1x12 and made some captures of the sound. Feel on that amp is amazing.

Clean is thick plexi vibe. Really nice and spanky. Lacks a bit of top sparkle and eq doesn’t do much to it. EQ is subtle. Not bad but it would be hard to play squicky funky rhytms on this. At least for me.

Crunch channel is great. Aggressive and punchy. On low volume gives great percussive oomph. Never experienced this with other amps. Reacts to picking well. Has that JCM800 gain structure. On steroids. It would sound a lot better better with greenback heritage and V30 mix. Don’t have them currently. A bit dark on M65.

Third channel has an aggressive bite I didn't like so much. Gets slightly icepicky for me. But it's good for leads so and I would imagine this cuts through the mix like a knife. Slightly harder to play tho. Def needs more than bedroom volume to sound good. Reacts well to eq.

They installed a short reverb in this head (long didn't fit?) and mix switch for the loop and reverb control seems to interact somehow. If mix is in mid or low reverb sounds mushy and unusable after 25%. If then I turn the loop mix on max it’s kinda ok all the way through on reverb control. Doesn't sound like long reverb with long warm decay at any point tho. Maybe it all has something to do with buffering of the loop? Not sure why loop mix and reverb control interact. Some weird logic here. Loop is awesome by the way.

Trap door is f***ing hard to open. Switch for the crunch channel worked in the opposite way it should. Lights up on clean and turns off on crunch. Head itself works properly. Also not a fan of switches with integrated cables. Logos fell off pedals when I took the out of the box. So amp has some minor annoyances. Maybe they did theese in a hurry)

Mains socket is not screwed to the chasis, it's glued with a gluegun (?). Not so reliable. See gut pic.

Other than that it’s a REALLY good solid rock amp. Sounds phenomenal in low mode at bedroom volumes. Really nice master. Chapman demos are 100% accurate.

It has custom spec Demeter trannies. Beefy!
    Bias points are somewhere inside the amp. So biasing might be little tricky. And dangerous =)

Front knob protector grille is great!

Have to mention the chassis paintjob also. It's not superdurable paint like on Bogners. This is like it's painted with a spray can. Really thin layers. It gets scratched and will look used very soon. Very visible fingermarks too.
    Wiring is on the inside is very neat. Should be easy to fix and maintain.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Short reverb
    [​IMG]

Check the demo so you get the idea of how it sounded in my room.
    I play ESP Navigator with BKP blackdogs.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2016
    Jollyboy Jay likes this.
  2. Serenity

Serenity Member

Do you still have it? Still lovin' it?

3. Haz

Haz Member

No I've returned it back to Thomann because of the problems it had. Not too loud amp eigher. Didn't have enough headroom for a pair of el34. A bit akward reverb control. Crunch channel is good and loop works well. But nothing spectacular.

Serenity likes this.
  4. Bandersnatch

Bandersnatch Member

It's best not to have high expectations I mean after all it is a Gorilla..