NAD: Vox AC15C1

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by RocknPop, Feb 9, 2012.

1. RocknPop

RocknPop Supporting Member

I'd like to start by saying thank you to those who recommended I upgrade amps. Even though I have two really nice amps (Vox AC4TV and a Vox Lil Night Train with a 1x12 Vox cab), this AC15C1 really blows away everything I have.

I picked this up this morning and I am personally impressed by the chimey wonderful Vox voice that this thing has. I thought the LNT replicated it pretty well, but MAN! This AC15C1 does a hell of a job.

Clean Tones: Beautifully carved cleans with lots of chime. Nice sensitivity when using the tone cut. The controls are very responsive.

Top Boost: For the longest time I had no idea what this is, it's a great channel! Actually very versatile. I don't know much about this but it seems to saturate the tubes faster, and even though it saturates them faster it has a nice tube distortion.

The tremolo and reverb are so neat! It's really incredible how good these controls are (coming from a point of reference of Line6 PODxt).

This is the perfect amp for me for recording and small gigs.

Any other AC15C1 lovers here? Any suggestions?

2. Nork

Nork Member

i'm considering becoming one. i finally got to try one out and your description is bang on. i have my orange settled in to something that's very close to the tone of the vox when i a/b'd'em. but it's a combo and i'm really liking that. looking for one, i think.

3. RocknPop

Man, definitely get it. You will not regret it. In fact, my initial thought on it was "WOW! This is one to keep!" And, I buy and sell gear like crazy.

4. thealmightycapo

thealmightycapo Member

C1 is the best thing going for the money... seriously good amp. Do the bright cap mods and the AC30 Tonestack mod (both require very little skill) and it's even better still. :)

5. Nork

Nork Member

yea. i want to, i think. i've had the orange for almost 5 years now and it's been fantastic - and i'm not kidding when i was able to dial in both amps to sound basically similar. looks like i've been going for an AC15 all along. just gonna have to flip the amp now.

6. RocknPop

I don't think it can get better than this! (But if you link me to the mods I might try them in a few weeks :) )

7. 72Telecaster

72Telecaster Silver Supporting Member

I bought an AC15C1 on somewhat of a whim about 8 months ago during a MF promotion. Haven't stopped playing it since then. I'm a church player and a U2 lover and this amp fits both bills perfectly. I love the chime and grit you can get, and the master volume is great and it loves running wide open. Just replaced tubes and will be putting a Scumnico in it tonight. I definitely have been drooling over Morgans/Tophats/Dr. Z's but at this price point it's a killer amp.

Only gripes:
    Reverb is average (haven't taken the time to replace the tank) and it's a little on the heavy side; but a 23 yr old can't complain about that quite yet ;)

...and I also own an AC4TV head/cab which I enjoyed...but man it really doesn't hold a candle to the AC15C1. It is a cool basement amp that you can coakse some chime out of but you really get the full Vox "experience" with the AC15C1

Last edited: Feb 9, 2012
  8. RocknPop

Right on with the U2 tone... this thing mimics that tone flawlessly! And I like U2!

9. kugelblitz

kugelblitz Member

Love my AC15C1, my only issue was it isn't loud enough for some gigs, so I bought a AC30C1 to complement it. Both great amps. Put some new tubes in and it'll sound even better. My only issue with both is the Top Boost channel doesn't take pedals well, so I tend to use the Normal. I understand the cap mod fixes this; I just haven't got around to it yet.

Such a good amp for the price. Enjoy! :)

10. thealmightycapo

thealmightycapo Member

11. Git-fiddle guy

Git-fiddle guy Member

Congrats on a great amp. You will not be sorry. I love mine!! Enjoy it. Russ

12. Nork

Nork Member

yea. i want to, i think. i've had the orange for almost 5 years now and it's been fantastic - and i'm not kidding when i was able to dial in both amps to sound basically similar. looks like i've been going for an AC15 all along. just gonna have to flip the amp now.

13. GregWV

GregWV Member

I've had this amp for about a year, and gig with it regularly. It's a great amp for the money. I just picked up the handwired version - the HW1 with a Greenback.....very, very nice amp!