NAD: Vox AC15Hw1

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by cubistguitar, Feb 1, 2012.

1. cubistguitar

cubistguitar Member

Pretty much wow. Sounds awesome, internal build quality is very nice looking, the greenback is great in this combo. I really can't believe how good a job that Korg has done with Vox, this amp seems as good as i could hope for tone wise. It has more than one sound, but nothing is forced onto the design, pure vintage perfect sounds. I have no complaints.

Can't wait to gig it. I got this yesterday, but only got 20 minutes with it , had to work that night. I got to jam with a friend today at his house between 11:30AM and 2PM, and it was jangly when i wanted it , crazy fuzzy with the algal bloom. It will only get better i think. I still need to hook up with extension cab and external cab setups, but on its own it already very pleasing.

Looks perty too.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. jota

jota Member

Congrats.
    those amps look great.

3. cubistguitar

cubistguitar Member

Thank you, I really thought about an uber boutique vox-like amp, nut none sounded as vox-like as this in the various demos out there. The Xits x10 is the only other thing on the radar that sounded more amazing than this guy, but it is twice as much and almost entirely unavailable. I don't like banging my head on the wall, so I have decided this Vietnamese beauty could maybe be the right amp.

So FAR Very Very excited about the sounds. Great options on this one too, nothing dumb at all. I like the 15 watt sound best with no master, normal channel, but the second channel is sweet too and has a bit more control of the tone. I have never done the vox thing before and i am glad i got the version i have. I hope they keep on updating this handwire line in the future.

4. mAx___

mAx___ Member

Congrats! The other great thing about these amps is you can easily upgrade them to the best of boutique standards if you so desire thanks to the PTP circuit board.

5. cubistguitar

cubistguitar Member

^ well is there something that would be an "upgrade"

I will probably wait around to make any major tweaks, I feel sure i will experiment with some nos tubes, maybe some speakers, a nos rectifier for sure. I am curious if there is a mod that is thought to add something meaningful to this amp.

6. shizzaq

shizzaq Supporting Member

7. cubistguitar

cubistguitar Member

well that is pretty cool thanks

8. mAx___

mAx___ Member

Those mods are cool and include the AC15HW1 schematics (previuosly unavailable) but IMO it's best to upgrade the amp to full JMI specs instead. Nik is lowering the filtering but not to vintage values and some of the mods were not present in AC15s from the "holy grail" years. I'm sure it sounds great but why not going all the way.

Myself and others on this board have upgraded our HW amps using the great info on this thread at the Vintage Amps forum:
    http://forums.vintageamps.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=99245&sid=0238d2aafecaeef9790cd9cf5c299e6d

It even includes pictures of the procedure for replacing the output transformer and choke, as well as before and after clips of the amp, list of components and a great layout with all the mods. I couldn't be happier with the results.

9. irate_pirate

irate_pirate Member

Congrats on your purchase. Trust me, as soon as the speaker breaks in, the tone gets even better.

I've had mine for over a year now, and we're still inseperable.

10. ken374

ken374 Member

tube change also is in order:) :bonk

11. cubistguitar

cubistguitar Member

I will definitely get some tubes.

Thanks Ken.

12. freaksho

freaksho Member

oh man, so jealous. congrats. that will be my next amp, i'm hoping in a few months.

given any thought to speakers yet? it's the easiest and most dramatic mod available. i just started a thread a couple weeks ago asking for AC15HW recommendations that you might find interesting. yours has the Greenback then?

13. cubistguitar

cubistguitar Member

Yes this has the greenback. I really thought hard about the Blue, but it came down to money and the greenback is a quality speaker. It sounds great so far and I have a 2x12 with a Blue and G12H30 I will try out with the amp today. If I felt I was missing something with the Greenback I would already be complaining, but it really sounds nice with this amp.

14. michael.e

michael.e Supporting Member

Had the 15, now the 30. LOVE them. You know what, I am sure it is great and all to throw more money at the amp with changing components, but really, IMO, unless you have nothing better to do and the extra money burning a hole in your pocket, it is a kickass amp as it is. I have had my share of the old units, the uber botique ad nauseum. This amp more than holds it's own just as it is. Yes, muck with a nice set of tubes so you have a set for backup, but, don't let your buzz get killed about the amp as it sits stock. Further, nobody is going to know or care in a gig situation. These amps sound killer in a band mix. Throw some gain/lead pedals, and any perceived negligible difference is moot.

Enjoy the amp!

15. freaksho

freaksho Member

cool, good to know. funny, your 212 has the other two speakers i am considering when i get mine. and you get to try all 3, or together even - awesome! my main concern was that the GB might not have enough oomph in a 1x12 setting. but i've decided i'll go with the HW1 model too so i can at least hear it first hand.

16. mAx___

mAx___ Member

The amp sounds killer out of the box, no question. No need to touch it unless you're looking for a very specific sound that the amp is not giving you as is.
    But for the record the difference in tone after the mods is very far from negligible. And as long as you can hear it, that's all what matters.

17. SouthCoastJim

SouthCoastJim Member

Love this amp - the way the normal channel offers meaty dark tones that can be livened up with the bright switch; the way the growling top boost channel suggests so much depth and aggression without being harsh; the way the greenback starts to fizz out and compress when pushed...
    I can get everything from jangly early Beatles to led zep to bad company and more. This amp oozes early and classic rock! Sometimes it makes me weep ;-)

18. cubistguitar

cubistguitar Member

A few more minutes with the amp today and it is just marvelous. It has tone for days, very fun stuff, very vox. Got some good sounds with my treble booster(Squawk) and the RAT I got today sounded really cool. The very best sounds had no effects at all. I am so looking forward to getting out of the house some more with the amp.

I can definitely take some NOS tubes, but I am not going to change any transformers. Maybe some capacitors later on, but i am no amp tech, so it will wait till it needs service or I am more curious. Thanks for all the info and encouragement. It is very exciting to know that there is some room to improve this already very sweet rig.

19. michael.e

michael.e Supporting Member

One can certainly hear it subtle differences. After owning old JMI, JMI Amps, Gabriel, Matchl... etc.. the question becomes "is it worth it?" If I had the time and the cash to do it, I probably would.

20. Prerequisite

Prerequisite Member

I got one just recently as well, but with an Alnico Blue. Has a lot more high end, but more chime it seems. Sounds great.