NAD: Vox Night Train Mk I

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by LordByron, Dec 7, 2016.

1. LordByron

LordByron The Dude abides!

An eastbound man, in a westbound lane (ATL)
    Recently sold a bunch of gear and went to pick up the cash from the shop where I consigned it. Of course I couldn't help poking around a bit and ended up scoring a very sweet deal on a little (and I do mean little!) first generation Night Train 15W head and a Egnater cab with a Celestion GH12 goldback in it. For such a tiny little sucker, that Night Train really packs a lot of Vox chime and grind. It sounds great through the Egnater cab, but I already have a Night Train cab with a greenback in it, which is a touch smaller and lighter than the Egnater cab, so I will probably keep those two paired for grab-and-go use with my Nano+ board for impromptu jams and small bar gigs. All-in-all it was a great score. :)

2. JagFan

JagFan Member

I had an NT G1 head for a long time. I really loved that thing, as you say it did the vox chimey thing as well as having more gain on tap than your typical vox if you wanted it.

I only sold mine because I wanted to use a combo rather than head and cab for ease of carrying so I bought an AC15C1. To my ears there really isn't that much in it between them tonally.

Great score, congrats :)

LordByron likes this.
  3. moosewayne

moosewayne Supporting Member

I dig the Night Train! Lotta bang for the buck.
    Do yourself a favor and look into the Jule mod.
    I'm not the type of guy who thinks every damn thing needs to be modded but this is a real improvement of an already good amp.
    Congrats!

s360guitarist and LordByron like this.
  4. LordByron

I've never heard of that mod. I'll have to do a little research! :)

5. s360guitarist

s360guitarist Silver Supporting Member

I had one with the Jule mod and thought it sounded a bit more open. Maybe clarity is what I am trying to say.

Like the OP, I just sold off a bunch of stuff. The NT was my backup amp and now it is all I have. I paired it with a empty 3 Monkeys combo loaded with a WGS Green Back and it does just fine.

Edit: To the OP, some will say that the NT extension cab is a bit boxy. I have never played through one so I can't say.

moosewayne likes this.
  6. StickyWicket520

StickyWicket520 Member

If you haven't paired your NT with a Celestion Blue yet, you've got to give it a try. That's how I ran mine for years, and it sounded better, to my ears, than the AC15 did when it had the greenback in it.

Great score!

LordByron likes this.
  7. LordByron

I may have to try that. I've got an AC15C1X and absolutely love the Blue in it. :)

StickyWicket520 likes this.
  8. moosewayne

Yes. The Jule mod clears up the signal path quite a bit, enabling it to sound more open and full.
    Also, it helps out with the gain at louder volume. MUCH less buzzy and fizzy.
    He also does a similar mod for the Orange Tiny Terror.

LordByron likes this.
  9. LordByron

Is he still doing these? I don't see anything currently on his web site about mods.

10. StickyWicket520

StickyWicket520 Member

Let me know what you think whenever you give it a try. I put the Blue in my ac15 and sold the NT to fund something that sounded more different. Running stereo they sounded great though.

The VS Open Road through the NT with the Blue is one of my favorite sounds I've come across. I don't regret selling it, but I do miss that sound.

LordByron likes this.
  11. moosewayne

I'd be really surprised if he'd turn you down if you contact him.
    He was beyond excellent to deal with when he did my NT mod and when I bought a Paycheck.

12. s360guitarist

s360guitarist Silver Supporting Member

^This. I ran the NT through the Blue that was in my Voxy clone and it was nice! The first NT I had I ran it into a cab loaded with a ceramic Weber Dog 30w. Very good tones there as well.