NAD: Warning - very non TGP!

LJOHNS

I picked up a Red Stripe Peavey Bandit (USA) yesterday for $75! Very clean and it sounds great! The reverb is not working so I need to look into that. I watched some YT videos on this amp and went looking for one. I am very impressed with it. I takes drive pedals very well. You can get some good lead tones if you take your time and tweak a little. Does it sound as good as a good tube amp? Not quite, but it is very useable. I am convinced you would never know the difference in a band setting. I found a Silver Stripe close by also. Might pick it up for a spare!

Last edited:

CanserDYI

Peavey bandits and Nokia 3310's will still be here after the nuclear holocaust comes. Good to have in your arsenal, a reliable as all hell solid state power house. Love bandits, was my first amp and loved it and wish it was never stolen. 40 bucks back in 1997.

scelerat

Gold Supporting Member
Oh come on, "very non tgp" -- the Bandit is one of TGP's little darlins.

The evergreen upvote magnet for all "guilty pleasure amp?" "best ss amp?" "best sleeper amp?" "favorite garage sale find?" threads

(congrats. of course, I had one for a short time, cause I had to know. yep it was hella cheap and it sounded great)

LJOHNS

check the tiny little transformer wires inside the reverb tank, those often break off from the RCA plug tabs
I pulled the reverb tank out and looked it over the wires looked good. I will use a meter and give it a good check out this weekend.

slipbeer

Silver Supporting Member
I played a Bandit 65 and a Special 130 for years and made a ton of money and got a ton of compliments about my guitar tone way back when in the late 70's into the 80's.

The Special died but the Bandit is still sitting somewhere that I can go play it whenever I want.

They did their jobs great and crankin' the Bandit is still fun but things evolved and they just didn't quite get it done at some point. No disrespect intended. I could still do a gig with either and no one would complain.

burner

Terrible Amos that are WAY overpriced, especially the redstripe versions.
Stop buying them immediately!
Please.

TS808

I would love to see Peavey come out with an updated version of the Bandit that sounds as good as the Red Stripe with a variable wattage much like the Boss Katana. The newest version of the Bandit just doesn't have the dynamics of the Red Stripe in my opinion and has a very nasal midrange to it. The power damping on the newest version really seems to dull the dynamics of the amp a good bit.

Gig Young

Hey! 19! kizz off!!
Platinum Supporting Member
That's a great deal!
Congrats.

I'm casually looking for their Envoy with the 10" speaker. A great amp.
used of course

Trending Topics