NAD:Yet another JCA20H Thread

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by MONSTER ZERO, Feb 3, 2015.

1. MONSTER ZERO

MONSTER ZERO Member

Yes I searched and found em all. However what fun is it rehashing an old thread? I see folks generally like JJ's in them so thats what's going into my newly acquired JCA20H, Just ordered some from eurotubes. Also picked up a BlackHeart Little Giant.

I put my Randall up for trade just to see what it would fetch and voila. I was looking for some smaller bottles and found em. I'm pretty happy with the trade and so is the guy that got my Randall so win,win. That's always nice.

I had the JC Combo some years back and liked it but never swapped tubes out. A broke friend needed an amp badly so I gave it to him. He's still gigging it. I've never owned or played through a Blackheart amp but it looks to be a fun little piece of kit for certain applications from the youtubes I've watched.

This JCA head really makes my Laney 412 loaded with G12m70's sound fuller which is a surprise as I was getting ready to trade that in for anything GC would give me for it because I haven't been impressed with it since I got rid of my JCM 900.

I also see a lot of folks calling the JCA a poor mans JCM800. From the few minutes I played it last night I can hear that in it. Didn't messa round with it too much though.

Psyched! 2 amps for 1. More toys!!

2. shanesiegle

shanesiegle Supporting Member

I have the 22h but my crunch channel is the same as your one channel. To me it sounds amazing boosted and is really a ridiculously good amp for how cheap it is. Good feel too and responsive to picking changes. Also a ton of cheap and easy mods you can do. I did the depth mod and it was well worth doing for the ten bucks in parts and half hour it took.

3. DrainBamage

DrainBamage Member

I didn't like short plate jjs in the amp. Well in most other amps either. Soldano crunch is in no way an 800. Being bright is about as close as they come.

4. billyg121

billyg121 Supporting Member

I just picked up a 50h, and man...that thing actually sounds pretty good with those crap Chinese tubes in there. Im going to swap to JJs , and that will make it even better! I currently also have the 22h with JJs and as Shane said ,its killer. Its possible I like the grind in the 22h a bit more than the 50. Probably due to the ELs in the 22. I'm thinking I will stick with the 50 though, due to loud gigging situations. I wish I had the skills to do those simple mods mentioned. Maybe even mod the 50h to take El34s?? Anyway, congrats on a very fun new amp day.

5. MONSTER ZERO

MONSTER ZERO Member

Nice! Thanks man. I hear those 50's are outstanding amps. Congrats to you too for getting the 50.

6. shanesiegle

I just went to demo a jca50 yesterday and it sounded great but I really like the greasy feel the el84s add to the 22h.

7. billyg121

Yep, I know what you are saying Shane . That greasy feel really gels well with fuzz!

8. Bentayuk

Bentayuk Supporting Member

I have the JCA22H & 50H. I went for the 22, with the intention of modding it, and all that. But honestly, the thing blew my away. So much so, I bought the 50 a month later.
    There isn't any style I can't do with either of them. Pristine cleans right through to modern death metal. Naturally it does some sounds better than others, especially those sweet mid-heavy 90's Rock tones, and that satisfies me all day long!

9. shanesiegle

The one thing I forgot about on the jca22h is that I dropped a 5751 tube in v3 and that helped me get better clean tones on the crunch channel and still have plenty of gain on the lead channel. Well worth it imho.

10. billyg121

I'm curious how the 50 takes fuzz pedals? Any of you guuys tried it. Ive always been hesitant with fuzz and 6L6s.

11. Bentayuk

Bentayuk Supporting Member

So far no issues to speak of. I use a Blackout Musket on my rig, though it rarely gets used with the JCA. I must say, all my pedals sound stellar through it. No complaints here!

12. billyg121

Great I've noticed with some other 6L6s , the fuzz gets kinda flubby, with the tubes roundness in the low end. Anyway, back to the OP, the 20h takes fuzz pedals beautifully.

13. Pabst_Smear

Pabst_Smear Member

I love my JCA20H. It's been my go to amp for at least three years or so now. The only issue I've ever had is the on/off light randomly flickers. That's a common problem with the 20H's, so I've read, but hey, if the amp sounds good I'm fine with a company cutting corners on things like a light.

Retubing was the best thing I've ever done for this amp. I too like JJ's, but during a couple hours worth of testing, I found that I didn't like all JJ in the 20H.

It's been around a year or so since I retubed and I can't remember off the top of my head what I finally decided on in V2 or V3. I know V3 was a balanced 12ax7 of some sort, I think perhaps a Tung Sol, but I'm not positive. V2 is a Sovtek I believe, but if the balanced 12ax7 in V3 is a Sovtek, then it's a Tung Sol. I do remember trying a few options and I think the one I went with was really just barely noticeably better than it's competition.

As for V1 I went for a JJ 12ax7. I just plain like JJ's for V1.

The best swap I made was taking the (fairly worn) stock power tubes out in favor of a pair of Mullard EL84 Reissues. I preferred them handily over the JJ's EL84's I tried.

My goal in retubing was to rid the amp of harshness as well as getting a full, balanced tone and I feel I succeeded.