• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

NAGD: Gibson Northern Jumbo

pattste

Yes, you read correctly. This is a Northern Jumbo. It is a limited edition guitar from the Custom Shop, they made only 65 pieces worldwide, probably all for the Canadian market.

Here's the official description:

The Northern Jumbo is a stunning guitar, both sonically and visually. This unique instrument is easily identified by an engraved truss rod cover carrying the model name, a unique Firestripe pickguard and discrete maple leaf ‘Limited Edition’ decal on the back of the headstock. Designed to be highly collectable, each Northern Jumbo will be shipped with a Certificate of Authenticity from Gibson's Acoustic Division and every instrument includes an interior label signed by master luthier Ren Fergusen.

The Northern Jumbo is made with a solid Sitka spruce top, mahogany neck, back and sides and a rosewood fingerboard. Mother of Pearl parallelogram inlays and traditional binding on the neck and body complete the look of this beautiful instrument. Built as a players' guitar, the Northern Jumbo also features nickel Grover Rotomatic machine heads and an L.R. Baggs pickup system. The Northern Jumbo acoustic guitar is handcrafted at the Gibson Acoustic factory in Bozeman, Montana, and is limited to 65 maximum piece run worldwide.

cradlerock

Very Nice. Does the pickup system effect the acoustic tonal qualities? I'm always wary of in-built pu systems in acoustic gits.

pattste

Very Nice. Does the pickup system effect the acoustic tonal qualities? I'm always wary of in-built pu systems in acoustic gits.
Good question. No, as far as I can tell. It's a very stealth installation. The only control is the little volume wheel that you see in the closeup picture of the soundhole. I've seen many guitars with a section of the side cut-off and replaced with a bunch of controls (volume, tone, tuner, sometimes a multi-band EQ). I don't like them.

JSeth

looks like a sweet Gibson... hope she's everything you want! How's the baggs' sound?

enjoy!!!!

zombywoof

Congrats

From what I gather, the Northern Jumbo is a regular Woody Guthrie SJ with some added cosmetics and Ren's signature. If so, should be a winner - those WG SJ's are really nice guitars.

Is this one of the 65 that were released back in 2007 or is this from a second batch?

Brion

Silver Supporting Member
It looks a lot like the Hank Jr signature guitar. It's a good look.

pattste

Congrats

From what I gather, the Northern Jumbo is a regular Woody Guthrie SJ with some added cosmetics and Ren's signature. If so, should be a winner - those WG SJ's are really nice guitars.

Is this one of the 65 that were released back in 2007 or is this from a second batch?
It is from the first batch in 2007. In Canada, Gibson is distributed by Yorkville who happen to own a large chain of stores called Long and McQuade. The guitar was sent to the L&M store that I bought it from only last May, I understand. I played it in June. Sometime after that someone put a small nick in the top (not even through the nitro) and they removed it from the showroom. I only learned about it because I called the store asking if they could get another one and the salesman happened to know they had one in storage. I don't know how they were expecting to sell it without any visibility. They took $400 off because of the small nick and because it was new-old stock. I can't complain.

I'll record something with it during my Christmas vacation and post it to my Soundclick page. This guitar sounds really sweet, it has great note definition, a very refined, balanced sound.

Trending Topics