1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Nailing 'Zoot Allures' tone- FZ freaks out!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by tikalcity, Jan 9, 2008.

1. tikalcity

tikalcity Member

How to get closer to that 'harp' sound? I'm thinkin about the 'Zoot allures' short solo, as you can hear on the studio album track...
    As far I knew, Zappa installed a Barcus Berry tiny mic (around the 20th fret) IN the neck of his Strat to catch that 'percussive' tone...

I've been trying to add a second amp (set only for clean sounds), it works good (if you carefully mix drive lead and clean volumes).. yet I usually play mono, cannot always bring a 2nd amp to rehearsals...

so I was thinking about a simpler solution...what about splitting guitar signal BOTH to amp and DI to P.A.?

any experience? simple and cheap solutions are welcome:AOK
    thanks for replies.

2. greggorypeccary

greggorypeccary Member

Frank used a Pignose in the studio a lot, especially in the 70's, that gives out that nasaly tone. He also had a parametric EQ in many of his guitars, or would set a wah to a position and leave it.

That and a lot of up strokes when picking. And picking above the neck a lot too, around the 16-20th frets.

More technique and simple devices than fancy stuff.

3. tikalcity

tikalcity Member

that looks like a good advice...
    maybe also harder picks (I usually play with plastic Dunlops) to get brighter sound?

4. 59Vampire

59Vampire Silver Supporting Member

right on with the wah! in the 90s i had a way huge pedal, i cant think of the name right now but it was silver and was pretty much a stomp box with a controllable Q

5. tikalcity

tikalcity Member

you're right, but wah used as filter/bandpass reminds me more 69-75 Zappa's tone (i.e. Inca Roads or Willie the pimp).
    Zoot Allures's solo seems more like electric and acustic guitar playing the same part, BUT you hear it is no overdub...while recording is easier to get that sound (you mike both your amp AND your fretboard :)), I'm just trying to reproduce that sound 'live' with unexpensive solutions.

anyway, I managed to get closer with a parametric EQ, playing around the 20th fret and pickups out of phase...

6. Route234

Route234 Member

I think Frank used the burned Hendrix strat for the Zoot Allures album.

Has anyone ever done the barcus in the neck thing?