• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Name A Guitar U Couldn't Bond With~But U So Wanted too!! (include pics if U got 'em!)

bearbike137

A couple of years ago I bought an older '52 Nash Tele that sounded killer. Honestly, it was a shockingly good Tele. However, I just sucked as a player on it. I still don't know what it was about that guitar: neck profile, radius, whatever - it just didn't feel right in my hands. I finally gave up and reluctantly sold it.

custom53

I just couldn't bond with it... As much as I really wanted to... Great guitar....! Notice that I tried 2 different models.. The first was a Burns, which I probably liked the best of the two. The second was his newest signature line... Sold them both and I am still getting GAS to get another one...!

Rosco

Wow .. this is an excellent thread .. I have been thinking about a PRS McCarty and yet had heard that you needed to upgrade them to be happy, this thread confirms that .. now I have nearly 100 guitars and there has been only a couple I haven't bonded with .. worst beyond belief was a 2002 Gibson SG Classic .. I always wanted one and was so, SO disappointed .. it had nothing, no mojo, no body to it, just a cheaply made guitar that could have been built in a primary school wood class .. sold it 2 days after I got it. I was recommended to get into vintage Univox guitars and brought 2, an L5 copy and a Ripper .. both were vintage pieces of rubbish, never again ...

Yet I have brilliant late 70's thru mid 80's Yamaha, Ibanez, Daion, Greco, Tokai, Burny, Fernandes and Aria vintage guitars and luv' every one of them .. I have quite a number of Fender Teles (mainly MIJ) and Strats (mainly USA) and there is a bit of a range, but none I couldn't bond with .. favourite is a 1992 CS SRV Strat .. just magnificent.

xdisciplex

Fender custom shop danny gatton tele, i liked the guitar and it sounded great but i didnt like the fat neck, i never could bond with it and i sold it to deathmonkey.

kerry kruger

Hate to say it but I had a Gorgeous McInturff Taurus that I just couldn't love.
Absolutely nothing wrong with it, flawlessly made, Terry's supernice...but the pickups were too 'nice' for me, [felt somebody better than I am should be playing it!] and I think I finally decided that the scale length was what was disturbing me...(25.125)...and I wonder if the 25 " scale is also turns so many off to PRSes as well.
Had a real nice Hamer Monaco Elite that I just couldn't come to grips with either, felt like our electrical fields clashed or something. It's a weird phenomenon.

twoheadedboy

I was never able to bond with any Gibson that didn't have a baseball bat neck. On those guitars, I can hear the notes warbling in and out of tune as the neck bends, and it drives me crazy. My most recent attempts were a Les Paul Junior and a Firebird. The Junior sounded great, but never felt in tune. The Firebird was by far the worst expensive guitar I've ever played. It had a floppy neck, a bad case of neck dive, and the pickups sounded grainy and harsh through a dozen different amps. I've also never been able to keep a Stratocaster. I tend to like them when the strings are brand new, but as soon as the strings are a couple of hours old, the guitar loses all character. I can't afford to change strings constantly, so I stick to Telecasters. They feel solid, stay in tune, fit almost any style of music, and seem to sound a bit better when the strings are broken in.

fenderball

Silver Supporting Member
the 90's gibson nighthawk---3 pickup. nothing wrong with the guitar, tones were good, but it just didn't--it just didn't. :munch
yep...me too....

and my PRS CE 22 from '94

both good guitars but didn't do it for me....

[/IMG]

Last edited:

deadllama

I had a Fender Classic Player's Strat (MIM I think, with Noiseless pickups) that I wasn't ever really able to get along with, so I sold it. Looking back on it, I think it was probably because of the pickups.

I had an Ibanez Jet King (JTK-30 I think) that I bought because it was cheap and it looked cool. I was less surprised when I didn't bond with that one long-term. Something about Ibanez necks that I've just never been able to handle.

phoenix 7

Collings I-35 Deluxe. Great guitar, but neck-heavy and the ergonomics just didn't work for me.

Radiculus

Ebmm axis : no forearm contour

Lespaul std : always love the Lp tone and looks, but not used to the scale since all i play are 25.5.

Rick360

Howdy,

One? Okay, Rickenbacker 330-12. Rick 12s sound fantastic on those classic AM radio hits: "A Hard Day's night" "Mr. Tambourine man", et al. In my hands, it was nothing special! A hard let-down, let me tell you. Rick 6 strings are just fine, interestingly enough.

MikeMcK

Gold Supporting Member
A couple come to mind: a Custom Shop Les Paul that I tried to like for over a year. I bought a used Hamer back-up guitar for 1/6th the price and the backup guitar just killed it.

A Hamer Standard (Explorer) - wanted one for years, talked to a dealer who brought one to the Philly show for me. Played great, sounded great, but felt like I was playing a guitar built into the middle of a kitchen table.

Gretsch Duo Jet or Sparkle Jet. Those things look great on stage but every time I've tried one in a store it didn't do it for me.

The gold sparkle is fantastically gaudy. Love it.

lp_junkie

2004 Gibson LP Classic Antique.

10 lb beast, sounded great looked cool, just wasn't good for gigging.
Sold it for a profit and bought a Les Paul Custom.

Maltese Fan

Jackson RR. Played and sounded great, just couldn't get into the V thing. I destroyed it in a drunken rage one night.

Soul Driver

My '96 Custom Shop '54 Reissue Stratocaster. I had it for over 5 years and I couldn't get used to the scale length or the control layout (I guess I 'm a Gibson player). I finally sold it last Friday.

stelligan

Parker Fly. Loved the way it played and mixing in the piezo bridge for acoustic tones. Looked cool, too. The electric guitar tones left me cold. Even after swapping pickups.