Name a recent "young" major/successful touring band

sws1

Was reading an article about U2 on their Joshua Tree tour in 1987. They were 26-ish years old, and were MASSIVE. Only becoming bigger.

I think of bands like Motley Crue becoming very successful when they were like 20.

Then I started to identify the last BIG, major touring rock band that were also fairly young. (I'm not interested in pop stars, although Taylor Swift is on the fence since she writes her own music...but she's not a "band".)

What was the last one? Coldplay? They were kinda young when they became major.

Greta Van Fleet are young, but they are not selling out the places that some of these other acts were in their time. (Although that could be a function of the time.)

Who else?

GGinMP

Gold Supporting Member
Haim are all in their 20s (the youngest just turned 20 or is about to) and they’ve played some pretty big festivals and such. I don’t think they’re selling out arenas on their own but they’re doing well.

Brad8008135

Silver Supporting Member
Paramore? Although, it's a singer with hired guns, not a pure partnership among the group members. I don't consider them pure rock, but I wouldn't consider Coldplay that either. What the world needs now is a new REO Speedwagon.

Last edited:

Bluesful

Silver Supporting Member
Haim are all in their 20s (the youngest just turned 20 or is about to) and they’ve played some pretty big festivals and such. I don’t think they’re selling out arenas on their own but they’re doing well.
I'm a massive Haim fan.

Unfortunately your post is slightly off.

Este is 34.

Danielle is 32.

Alana is 29.

Norm N Playin

"...missed it by that much."
Silver Supporting Member
That is a really good question.
I see a number of "Artists" doing well...(for example, Tash Sultana) but a "Band"...?

I'm +1 for Greta Van Fleet.

GGinMP

Gold Supporting Member
I'm a massive Haim fan.

Unfortunately your post is slightly off.

Este is 34.

Danielle is 32.

Alana is 29.
Oops! It's my math skills & reading comprehension that are off!!!!!! I read that Alana was born in 1991 but was thinking 2001...

AltecGreen

Gold Supporting Member
What country? A lot of acts can sell out stadiums in some countries but not in others. I ask because a lot of bands are huge outside of the US.

For example take a band like One Ok Rock. Huge in Japan and Asia.

Last edited:

Litterick

Alien Weaponry are on the cover of the January 2021 issue of Metal Hammer with the title, "Meet The Future Of Metal”.

magdream

Was reading an article about U2 on their Joshua Tree tour in 1987. They were 26-ish years old, and were MASSIVE. Only becoming bigger.

I think of bands like Motley Crue becoming very successful when they were like 20.

Then I started to identify the last BIG, major touring rock band that were also fairly young. (I'm not interested in pop stars, although Taylor Swift is on the fence since she writes her own music...but she's not a "band".)

What was the last one? Coldplay? They were kinda young when they became major.

Greta Van Fleet are young, but they are not selling out the places that some of these other acts were in their time. (Although that could be a function of the time.)

Who else?
This is the very question I ask when making the point that rock isn't dead but is a dead man walking. Sure you have established acts playing arenas and stadiums but there's no new blood doing it, and there hasn't been any in a long time. I suppose you can say that this applies mostly in the US, as newer/younger rock acts play large venues in other parts of the world.

JEricB

Royal Blood
I've seen Royal Blood at festivals. Don't know the other. But are either/both of them consistently headlining big venues / arenas / stadiums? Just asking.
Before the pandemic they were opening arena tours, and they can sell out 1000 seaters. Their new album’s out in a couple weeks. The singles that have been released are killer. They’re, imho, one of the most original current rock acts.
Are you asking about arena’s because that is the bar for success? I would say that if you can do it for a living your successful. None of them are getting rich anymore. The wealthy rockstar is a relic.

sws1

Before the pandemic they were opening arena tours, and they can sell out 1000 seaters. Their new album’s out in a couple weeks. The singles that have been released are killer. They’re, imho, one of the most original current rock acts.
Are you asking about arena’s because that is the bar for success? I would say that if you can do it for a living your successful. None of them are getting rich anymore. The wealthy rockstar is a relic.
I'm just drawing a comparison that bands that I mentioned and of that era. i.e., have a couple albums, and suddenly selling out sports arenas. That was very common in the 80s. But all but died, it seems, in the early 2000s.

Now the rocket ship a band needs to be on to achieve that seems bigger. Coldplay became enormous is just 3 years. Oasis exploded pretty big...late 90s. But I struggle to think of a non-pop-machine artist that did this recently.

JEricB

I'm just drawing a comparison that bands that I mentioned and of that era. i.e., have a couple albums, and suddenly selling out sports arenas. That was very common in the 80s. But all but died, it seems, in the early 2000s.

Now the rocket ship a band needs to be on to achieve that seems bigger. Coldplay became enormous is just 3 years. Oasis exploded pretty big...late 90s. But I struggle to think of a non-pop-machine artist that did this recently.
Those days are over. The way music is consumed will prevent that from happening. Plus, record companies don’t develop talent anymore. A&R guy is a job that doesn’t exist nowadays.

Trending Topics