Name an amp that can do "clean electric" and "acoustic" well?

Barnzy

Silver Supporting Member
Help me do my product research TGP. Any price and amp configuration is fine. My next amp needs to be pressed into service as a clean electric sound and also used for and electric/acoustic. I know the BOSS Katana series do this. So do some Fender acoustasonic models. The Rivera Sedona models are an acoustic amp that takes an electric signal too. But can you think of other amps that are marketed for the clean electric player and also the acoustic electric player? Trying to learn about all the brands so l can sort through demos and find one that appeals to me.
Thanks,
Barnzy

voodoosound

Funk & Grooven member
Gold Supporting Member
I use the Roland cube 80 for precisely this. Clean arch top jazz and nylon string classical/ flamenco
I have not found a better amp for both applications and I've owned just about everything under the sun.

8len8

Silver Supporting Member
Just an FYI, acoustic amps use full range speakers, while electric guitar amps use mid heavy speakers. You'll be pressed to find am amp that excels at both.

jimijimmyjeffy

IMO Marshall cleans like with a jtm are more acoustic guitar like than Fender types. Even my Dirty Shirley can imitate a Martin through a PA and Fishman pickup. I know this because most of my work over the years has been acoustic. JTM45s are awesome.

Nothing beats a mic'd acoustic thru the PA when possible.

charley

Gold Supporting Member
Speaker choice is probably most important. Take a look at something like the Telonics TSNOE12. They excel at that application.

Also, check out the Quilter Micropro HD....

kimock

IMO Marshall cleans like with a jtm are more acoustic guitar like than Fender types. Even my Dirty Shirley can imitate a Martin through a PA and Fishman pickup. I know this because most of my work over the years has been acoustic. JTM45s are awesome.

Nothing beats a mic'd acoustic thru the PA when possible.
Tweed Bassman's in that same ballpark, agree the later Fender amps are not very good with most acoustic things.

Rockerduck

The Roland cube 80gx suprised me that it does both well on the Jc clean. I recommend the Fender Twin Reverb. It was used as an acoustic amp in the 70's too.

Barnzy

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks guys...got a deal I could not refuse on a brand new Roland Cube 80GX. Will have plenty of uses for that one! Really appreciate the tip!

northfortyrecords

Silver Supporting Member
Just an FYI, acoustic amps use full range speakers, while electric guitar amps use mid heavy speakers. You'll be pressed to find am amp that excels at both.
The Roland cube 80gx suprised me that it does both well on the Jc clean. I recommend the Fender Twin Reverb. It was used as an acoustic amp in the 70's too.
Sounds like you got one, but I was going to mention that I was seeking this same sort of setup for long time, and what I ended up with was a silverface Twin Reverb plus good EQ pedal. The Twin by itself as we all know, sounds super on clean electric guitar. Then, in order to amplify my Mandolin, Banjo, or Acoustic Guitar, I got a Rane half rack parametric EQ could fit right on my pedalboard. Dial out all than unwanted bass and low mids, accentuate the right airy highs, and Bingo! The Twin was my personal on-stage PA.

Bypass the EQ unit when picking up the Strat or Tele again...

This worked way better for me than the other way around. I'd tried Fender Acoustasonic, Rivera Sedona, others.

charley

Gold Supporting Member
Despite the op already finding an amp, i think this is an interesting discussion. I have been trying to find an all in one rig to handle my acoustic and electric instruments.

So far, my favorite ways to do this have been Ethos Clean>Atomic CLR, or a Quilter Micropro with a telonics speaker, or else just using my Boogie mk1 ri loud and clean.

None are perfect. I'm still looking for perfect

Anybody else?

Elantric

A Boss Katana 100-112 combo replaced my Cube-80XL for this same purpose ( one amp to handle either Acoustic instruments or Electric Instruments

logdrum

I had great luck with my Mark IV on the clean setting work well for a real acoustic with Fishman and LR BAggs setups. The rick is the buffer before it. I also have Godin guitars with built-in piezo and those needed the help of outboard EQ to sound like a full size guitar. I tried the different Roland's but that COSM bothers me a bit, because I think they do are not the same chips as the VGA series. The only neutral setting is the JC-120 clean. I just got the Fishman mini loudbox and one tube combo amp and with the Godin with piezo, it is one trip and I can climb 3 storeys with no stopping.. If I can only have one amp and also have to be light, I prefer the quilter over any roland

Trending Topics