Name Me A Couple of Standards

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by rhys, Feb 16, 2009.

1. rhys

rhys Supporting Member

Looking to learn 6 or so standards.

1) I'm mainly a rock player who wants his rock playing and writing to be more interesting.
    2) So I'm more interested in some outside playing and 'different' standards than, say, the classics like The Way You Look Tonight.
    3) A secondary goal would be that I have a couple of tunes to call if I ever sit in with the local jazzers.

I know some standards and have played some jazz, but not steadily for years. Recommend me a couple of good tunes to work on for the next few months.

2. spencerbk

spencerbk Member

Some tunes that might appeal to someone with a rock background and don't sound anything like "The Way you Look tonight"

All Blues - Miles Davis
    Maiden Voyage - Herbie Hancock
    Impressions - John Coltrane (same chords as "So What" by Miles Davis)
    St. Thomas - Sonny Rollins
    Round Midnight - Thelonious Monk
    Song for My Father - Horace Silver

Have fun!

3. gennation

gennation Member

On top of what spencerbk listed, Tune Up in the Realbook is a good one to start out on.

4. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

You are kind of asking for 2 kinds of songs. Outside or different standards, and tunes you can sit in on. The tunes listed aren't typical sit in songs, though very cool. Sit in tunes are going to include tunes like;

Stella by Starlight
    Autumn Leaves
    Blue Bossa
    All The Things You Are
    Have You Met Miss Jones
    Rhythm Changes-tons of tunes based on I've Got Rhythm
    Bop tune like Donna Lee or Cherokee played up
    Take the A Train
    Jazzed Blues

If you want a little outside, might try Monk tunes. Spencer mentioned Round Midnight. I would also include Straight No Chaser, and Epistrophy.

5. arthur rotfeld

arthur rotfeld Member

Go listen to the local jazzers and hear what tunes they like to play and how well they play them. Keys and tempos as well. Find out how receptive they are to folks sitting in, even in jams. Maybe they're your buds and it's a non-issue.

Some players want little to do with guys who aren't totally together. You could call a tune, say Cherokee, expecting Bb and 275 bpm then they decide that G is the key and 400 is the tempo.....

6. mykljpao

mykljpao Member

GREAT first choices for a mainly rock and roller to start to bridge the gap that certainly meet his criteria.

7. stevel

stevel Member

I asked a similar question a while back, and ended up using various sources and compiling a list of standards in terms of popularity (which can mean, often requested, most recorded, most often included in books, etc.). Here's the final tally:

HTH,
    Steve