• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Name Me A Couple of Standards

rhys

Silver Supporting Member
Looking to learn 6 or so standards.

1) I'm mainly a rock player who wants his rock playing and writing to be more interesting.
2) So I'm more interested in some outside playing and 'different' standards than, say, the classics like The Way You Look Tonight.
3) A secondary goal would be that I have a couple of tunes to call if I ever sit in with the local jazzers.

I know some standards and have played some jazz, but not steadily for years. Recommend me a couple of good tunes to work on for the next few months.

spencerbk

Some tunes that might appeal to someone with a rock background and don't sound anything like "The Way you Look tonight"

All Blues - Miles Davis
Maiden Voyage - Herbie Hancock
Impressions - John Coltrane (same chords as "So What" by Miles Davis)
St. Thomas - Sonny Rollins
Round Midnight - Thelonious Monk
Song for My Father - Horace Silver

Have fun!

derekd

Silver Supporting Member
You are kind of asking for 2 kinds of songs. Outside or different standards, and tunes you can sit in on. The tunes listed aren't typical sit in songs, though very cool. Sit in tunes are going to include tunes like;

Stella by Starlight
Autumn Leaves
Blue Bossa
All The Things You Are
Have You Met Miss Jones
Rhythm Changes-tons of tunes based on I've Got Rhythm
Bop tune like Donna Lee or Cherokee played up
Take the A Train
Jazzed Blues

If you want a little outside, might try Monk tunes. Spencer mentioned Round Midnight. I would also include Straight No Chaser, and Epistrophy.

Go listen to the local jazzers and hear what tunes they like to play and how well they play them. Keys and tempos as well. Find out how receptive they are to folks sitting in, even in jams. Maybe they're your buds and it's a non-issue.

Some players want little to do with guys who aren't totally together. You could call a tune, say Cherokee, expecting Bb and 275 bpm then they decide that G is the key and 400 is the tempo.....

mykljpao

Some tunes that might appeal to someone with a rock background and don't sound anything like "The Way you Look tonight"

All Blues - Miles Davis
Maiden Voyage - Herbie Hancock
Impressions - John Coltrane (same chords as "So What" by Miles Davis)
St. Thomas - Sonny Rollins
Round Midnight - Thelonious Monk
Song for My Father - Horace Silver

Have fun!
GREAT first choices for a mainly rock and roller to start to bridge the gap that certainly meet his criteria.

stevel

Looking to learn 6 or so standards.

1) I'm mainly a rock player who wants his rock playing and writing to be more interesting.
2) So I'm more interested in some outside playing and 'different' standards than, say, the classics like The Way You Look Tonight.
3) A secondary goal would be that I have a couple of tunes to call if I ever sit in with the local jazzers.

I know some standards and have played some jazz, but not steadily for years. Recommend me a couple of good tunes to work on for the next few months.
I asked a similar question a while back, and ended up using various sources and compiling a list of standards in terms of popularity (which can mean, often requested, most recorded, most often included in books, etc.). Here's the final tally:

So, based on our rather unscientific sampling, I've compiled the suggestions here with those from things like the Aebersold site, and this is what I got.

They are grouped, alphabetically, by "vote" - Summertime got 5, Satin Doll 4, the next group 3, the next group 2, and starting with Adam's Apple, were only mentioned once.

The only thing is, me being a neophyte, many of the tunes with which I'm most familiar - Don't Get Around Much, Favorite Things, etc. were suggested less often, while some things I've never even heard (as much of any audience I'm planning to play these to would be in the same boat) were suggested more - like Cantaloupe Island and After You've Gone. Guess I've got some listening to do.

Let me know if you see anything amiss (could be 'On Green Dolphin' versus 'Green Dolphin' which wouldn't sort right, etc.).

I didn't add in the USC links (too much editing to get rid of their numbers to sort) or the Diana Krall, etc. But I may - and if you know of any other lists I could paste in and sort, that would be helpful too.

BTW - I'm not going to be anal about it and only learn those things that "got three or more votes" or something - I'm just using it as a general guideline. I'll still definitely learn something I'm familiar with, that I think is pretty well known - like New York, New York, before, maybe something like Softly as a Morning Sunrise. And of course, there will be more than 50 ultimately (there's 30 plus in the "more than one suggestion" groups), but I've got to start somewhere :)

Here ya go:

Summertime

Satin Doll

All The Things You Are
All Blues
All of Me
Autumn Leaves
Cantaloupe Island
So What
Take the "A" Train
Watermelon Man
Well You Needn’t

After You've Gone
Blue Bossa
Blue Monk
Caravan
Chitlins Con Carne
Embraceable You
Fly me to the Moon
Footprints
Girl from Ipanema
Honeysuckle Rose
Mercy, Mercy, Mercy
My Funny Valentine
Night and Day
Oleo
Our Love Is Here To Stay
Softly as a Morning Sunrise
Stardust
Stella by Starlight
Stompin' At the Savoy
Sweet Georgia Brown
Take Five
Tenderly
What Is This Thing Called Love?

Adam’s Apple
Ain't Misbehavin'
Anthropology
Avalon
Beatrice
Bemsha Swing
Besame Mucho
Birth of the Blues
Blue Skies
Body and Soul
Bright Size Life (yes I know its more of a fusion song)
But Not for Me
Bye, Bye Blackbird
Capullito De Alelí
Chameleon
Cheek to Cheek
Cherokee (Indian Love Song)
Cold Duck Time
Cottontail
D Natrual Blues
Days of Wine and Roses
Don’t Be That Way
Don't Blame Me
Don't Get Around Much Anymore
Everytime you say goodbye
Four on Six
Freddie Freeloader
Fried Neck Bones
Gentle Rain
Georgia on My Mind
Goodbye Porkpie Hat (maybe...)
Have You Met Miss Jones
How Deep Is the Ocean?
How High the Moon
How Insensitive
I Can't Get Started (with You)
I Cover the Waterfront
I Got Rhythm
I Should Care
I’ve Got the World on a String
I'll Remember April
I'll See You In My Dreams
Impressions
In a Sentimental Mood
Indiana (Back Home Again in Indiana)
It Had To Be You
It’s Only a Paper Moon
Jitterbug Waltz
Laura
Lester Leaps In (sort of...)
Let's Fall in Love
Like Someone In Love
Limehouse Blues
Little Sunflower
Love for Sale
Lover Come Back To Me
Lover Man (Oh, Where Can You Be)
Lush Life
Manha de Carnival/A Day in the Life of a Fool (Theme from Black Orpheus)
Misty
Moanin'
Moonglow
Moonlight in Vermont
Moose the Mooche
My Favorite Things
My Foolish Heart
My Little Suede Shoes
My Romance
New York, New York
Night in Tunisia
No Moe