1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Name me some good 5881 and 6550 amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by seanc, Jun 9, 2006.

1. seanc

seanc Member

Yo,

Just looking at amps that are not EL-34 or 6L6 orientated. I am looking for something else. Could you guys name me some brands and model that would have these tubes in there as well and pics/links?

Cheers to all :BluesBros

Sean

2. Jimmydeez

Jimmydeez Supporting Member

The Soldano Decatone has 5881's in it.

3. granite

granite Member

A former bandmate of mine (1995-6 era) use to play through a Mesa Tremoverb wth 5881s in them. He pulled two power tubes and ran it at 50 Watts if my memory is correct. I recall the tone being stellar. Randall @ Mesa wrote about this tube/power config in one of his on-line tech newsletters.

Older amp, but the TVerb remains a classic (some would say best) amp Mesa ever produced. Regularly on Ebay for $1000-$1200.

4. Ogre

Ogre Member

Alessandro Redbone Coonhound- 55 watts of 6550 heaven!

5. Pedro58

Pedro58 Member

5881? Almost all (maybe actually ALL, but I could be wrong) big tweeds. Cool amps, lots of sizes, LOTS of builders besides Fender. Fender models w/5881 would include the Bassman, Pro, and Twin...

6. Moods

Moods Supporting Member

A Tweed Bassman would be my favorite.

5881's are in the 6L6 family. They don't sound just like 6L6's but they are definitely similar in a lot of ways. Great tubes!

Good luck!

<M

7. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

Yup, if you're not looking for clean overhead, 5881s are the shiz in tweeds. They also sound pretty darn good in BF and brown Fenders.

6550s-JCM800, many Alessandro models, Ampeg V4 (slightly modified), Sunn 100s/Scetper/Centaur

8. Paul86

Paul86 Member

Try the Alessandro Bloodhound. This is what Marshalls always wished they were. Really, go to www.alessandro-products.com and have a look. Better yet, play one. I did and never looked back.

9. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

10. Nigel X

Nigel X Member

Zinky Mofo. Will trade for a Knucklehead Reverb and 4X12.

11. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

Vintage Sunns. Clean and loud. 6550's.

12. carbz

carbz Supporting Member

My naylor runs on the 5881's. I love the amp but not necessarily because of the tubes.

13. drbob1

I have Bloodhound #1 and I think it's a killer amp, but I don't think this statement is necessarily true. It has much more power supply capacity than a Marshall and bigger transformers, so the transients are much harder-great bass, great cleans, great "thump" but just a different sounding amp from any of my Marshalls. It makes a nice bass amp, too!

14. soulfixinman

soulfixinman Supporting Member

any amp that runs on 6l6's will run 5881's. they are a killer industrial version of the 6l6. I use them in all my Fender Amps. They are very hard to find NOS.

15. thesedaze

thesedaze Member

16. seanc

seanc Member

what sort of amps could i use as a loud clean amp while running pedals. would any sort of fender amps have those kinds of tubes in them. i like the fender sound.

17. pep

pep Member

Wait, I thought that 5881's couldn't take the plate voltage that amps designed around 6L6GC's kick out?

18. drbob1

In terms of the amount of clean, undistorted power you can get from a tube I'd rank them like this:
    EL34-5881-6L6GC-6550-KT88

A twin running 6L6s is gonna give you lots of nice, loud clean (as is a Pro or Super reverb for that matter). You'd get more volume from higher output tubes (like the 4 6550s in some Sunns or the 4 KT88s in a Sunn 1000s or Marshall Major) or more tubes (like the 6 6L6s in the Super 6 reverb or the Super Twin).