Name some cheap, small, old tube combos with reverb

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Uffe, Jul 21, 2008.

1. Uffe

Uffe Member

i.e. cheaper 50s, 60s or early 70s alternatives to a silverface Princeton Reverb, preferably smaller.

I can only think of the Ampeg Reverbojet J-12R, which is about the equivalent of a PR.

There's got to be some 1x8" or 1x10" combos with a 9" reverb tank out there

Last edited: Jul 21, 2008
  2. Uffe

Uffe Member

Google says: Gibson GA-1RT, GA-15RVT

3. SatelliteAmps

SatelliteAmps Member

Most amplifier companies made some sort of small combo with reverb in the mid-60s and 70s. Cheap is all relative. Try looking into some of the oddball Japanese and European stuff. Teisco, Eko, Watkins, Selmer, etc.

No one made any in the 50s.

4. Doodad

Doodad Member

Peavey? I have an old combo that, while it is not the model to fit your description, I bet there is an equivalent. Mine even has CTS speakers like the Fenders and sounds like a silverface to me. And the prices are good.

5. Uffe

Uffe Member

thanks kovachian!

6. mbratch

mbratch Member

And the GA-19RVT (Falcon)

7. doctorx

doctorx Member

8. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

A YGM-3 is hardly small. I owned one for 3 years that I sold last year, it was quite large and weighed over 50 lbs.

9. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

Hmmm, 10" speakers limit things a little, since most reverb amps were more serious versions and had the requisite 12" speaker. Some others worth checking out:
    Kalamazoo Model 12-12w from 2 EL84s into a cheap 12" speaker, 9" tank, tremelo
    Traynor Guitarmate: 15w from 2 EL84s or 2 6V6s, reverb (12"), tremelo-heavy
    Silvertone (can't remember the model number): pretty cheap, light, 12" speaker
    Epiphone EA28RVT-similar to the Gibson models but a little cheaper, 20w, 12", long pan, tremelo-basically a slightly higher output Princeton Reverb for 1/2 price.

10. OlAndrew

OlAndrew Member

You might want to check out the tube complement and circuit design on these (or try the tone) before you buy.

A lot of this stuff has really weird tubes that are hard to find and expensive when found (Old Gibson, Guild, most Ampegs, for example) and were designed with circuits that are supposed to prevent distortion and "overdrive".

Great for playing jazz in small clubs, or boosting an acoustic guitar, but they ain't gonna rawk at all. I've got a couple of 'em.

They can also vary a LOT from individual to individual. Sit 3 of the same make and model in a row, dial em up the same, play the same guitar, and get a different tone from each. And some of those tones are not good, just because they're 'vintage'.

11. doublescale1

doublescale1 FSR Tele Silver Supporting Member

I live on the east side of metropolitan Detroit
    I've got a little Supro 1640RVT - it's got a 10" w/reverb & trem - the reverb is not that good because of a real short tank - but that is not the draw on that amp - dime it and stand back - it barks pretty good for it's size.

12. jackaroo

jackaroo Member

Not sure if they have reverb...but I like Alamo amps.